What's new

China still lacks in the top end of the value chain

Bussard Ramjet

Reaction score
Country
India
atlas.media.mit.edu

is the most detailed and friendly resource of trade flows. They also have an index on product complexity.

I viewed the largest exporters of the top 25 products, and the ranking is like this:

Germany: 10
Japan: 8
US: 4
Netherlands: 1
France: 1
Finland: 1

China first appears as the largest exporter of 28th item. China is the net heavy importer of almost all top 50 items.

Hence, there is a lot of scope for improvement.

atlas.media.mit.edu

is the most detailed and friendly resource of trade flows. They also have an index on product complexity.

I viewed the largest exporters of the top 25 products, and the ranking is like this:

Germany: 10
Japan: 8
US: 4
Netherlands: 1
France: 1
Finland: 1

China first appears as the largest exporter of 28th item. China is the net heavy importer of almost all top 50 items.

Hence, there is a lot of scope for improvement.
Currently china is all about economies of scale and they are very good at it, but their future is very bright

Here is the ranking: OEC - HS92 Product Ranking (2013)

The data is for 2013.

Currently china is all about economies of scale and they are very good at it, but their future is very bright

True, but they are overextending themselves right now by taking on the west. They need the west for their own upliftment, and upgrading.

This is literally a very exhaustive list of stuff, and you can see that for everything that is high valued, usually other countries lead. Also, even within China, a lot of production is done by foreign companies through joint venture or the like.

I am a chemical engineer in the making, and I know for instance that a lot of Chinese chemical production is based on licensed technology.

Here is the ranking: OEC - HS92 Product Ranking (2013)

The data is for 2013.

True, but they are overextending themselves right now by taking on the west. They need the west for their own upliftment, and upgrading.

This is literally a very exhaustive list of stuff, and you can see that for everything that is high valued, usually other countries lead. Also, even within China, a lot of production is done by foreign companies through joint venture or the like.

I am a chemical engineer in the making, and I know for instance that a lot of Chinese chemical production is based on licensed technology.

I gotta call bullshit on this.

There's no way nickel piping (8) or cutting blades (22) are more complex than integrated circuits (396).

I gotta call bullshit on this.

There's no way nickel piping (8) or cutting blades (22) are more complex than integrated circuits (396).

True, even I can point out many more pairs like this, but atleast it is a start.

Also, you can look at the products themselves and ask why China isn't really present in stuff like watch movements, or high end machinery, or medical equipment.

I totally second you, but this list is better than having nothing.

True, even I can point out many more pairs like this, but atleast it is a start.

Also, you can look at the products themselves and ask why China isn't really present in stuff like watch movements, or high end machinery, or medical equipment.

I totally second you, but this list is better than having nothing.

Are you sure? Its more like you do not know.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Opinion: Rethinking "Made in China" • Gear Patrol

China overtakes Japan as Asia's top technology exporter | The Japan Times

China overtakes Japan as Asia’s top technology exporter
BLOOMBERG

ARTICLE HISTORY

MANILA – China has brought to an end Japan’s dominance of Asia’s high-technology exports, according to the Asian Development Bank.

China’s share of Asia’s exports of high-tech goods such as medical instruments and aircraft and telecommunications equipment rose to 43.7 percent in 2014 from 9.4 percent in 2000, the ADB said.

Japan’s share slid to 7.7 percent last year from 25.5 percent in 2000. Southeast Asian nations including Malaysia and the Philippines also lost market share.

The shift marks China’s success in boosting innovation and technology as key drivers of its economy as it seeks to move up the manufacturing value chain. Low-tech goods accounted for 28 percent of China’s exports in 2014, compared with 41 percent in 2000, according to ADB’s Asian Economic Integration Report 2015, released Tuesday.

“China has made inroads in taking more and more high-tech manufacturing onshore even as a lot of critical components are still imported from other countries,” said Frederic Neumann, co-head of Asian economic research at HSBC Holdings PLC in Hong Kong. “It’s becoming highly competitive, with highly skilled labor and we’re seeing increasing research and development moving into China,” he said.

China-made drones, smartphones, and even high-speed trains have become internationally competitive and the number of enterprises in the high-tech manufacturing sector has tripled to almost 30,000 from less than 10,000 in 2000, Shang-Jin Wei, ADB chief economist, said.

“We are seeing some signs of success in some industries,” he said. “But China is still not a global technology leader like the United States or Germany. What we are seeing is that China is catching up very fast on the ‘standard technology’ products and is beginning to do some innovations of its own.”

China also leads in exports of low-tech goods such as textiles, food and beverages, and wood, pulp and paper products. It had a 55.4 percent market share in 2014, followed by India with 9.4 percent.

Cross-border production networks — trade in parts and components and final assembly — have strengthened regional interdependence, as seen from increasing intraregional trade shares, the ADB said. Asia’s intraregional gross exports have increased about 3.6 times from 2000 to 2011, it said.

Special economic zones can be a driving force for increased trade, investment, and economic reform in Asia at a time when the region is experiencing a slowdown in trade, provided the right business environments and policies are put in place, the ADB said. In developing Asia, countries with economic zones attract significantly more foreign direct investment, corresponding to 82 percent greater FDI levels, it said.

Separately, while the impending increase in U.S. interest rates could raise capital flow volatility, it is not expected to rattle the region’s markets as it did in 2013, the report said. Still, managing potentially volatile capital outflows remains an important issue for the region — especially given rising risk premiums and depreciating currencies, it said.

Are you sure? Its more like you do not know.

DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

Opinion: Rethinking "Made in China" • Gear Patrol

China overtakes Japan as Asia's top technology exporter | The Japan Times

China overtakes Japan as Asia’s top technology exporter
BLOOMBERG

ARTICLE HISTORY

MANILA – China has brought to an end Japan’s dominance of Asia’s high-technology exports, according to the Asian Development Bank.

China’s share of Asia’s exports of high-tech goods such as medical instruments and aircraft and telecommunications equipment rose to 43.7 percent in 2014 from 9.4 percent in 2000, the ADB said.

Japan’s share slid to 7.7 percent last year from 25.5 percent in 2000. Southeast Asian nations including Malaysia and the Philippines also lost market share.

The shift marks China’s success in boosting innovation and technology as key drivers of its economy as it seeks to move up the manufacturing value chain. Low-tech goods accounted for 28 percent of China’s exports in 2014, compared with 41 percent in 2000, according to ADB’s Asian Economic Integration Report 2015, released Tuesday.

“China has made inroads in taking more and more high-tech manufacturing onshore even as a lot of critical components are still imported from other countries,” said Frederic Neumann, co-head of Asian economic research at HSBC Holdings PLC in Hong Kong. “It’s becoming highly competitive, with highly skilled labor and we’re seeing increasing research and development moving into China,” he said.

China-made drones, smartphones, and even high-speed trains have become internationally competitive and the number of enterprises in the high-tech manufacturing sector has tripled to almost 30,000 from less than 10,000 in 2000, Shang-Jin Wei, ADB chief economist, said.

“We are seeing some signs of success in some industries,” he said. “But China is still not a global technology leader like the United States or Germany. What we are seeing is that China is catching up very fast on the ‘standard technology’ products and is beginning to do some innovations of its own.”

China also leads in exports of low-tech goods such as textiles, food and beverages, and wood, pulp and paper products. It had a 55.4 percent market share in 2014, followed by India with 9.4 percent.

Cross-border production networks — trade in parts and components and final assembly — have strengthened regional interdependence, as seen from increasing intraregional trade shares, the ADB said. Asia’s intraregional gross exports have increased about 3.6 times from 2000 to 2011, it said.

Special economic zones can be a driving force for increased trade, investment, and economic reform in Asia at a time when the region is experiencing a slowdown in trade, provided the right business environments and policies are put in place, the ADB said. In developing Asia, countries with economic zones attract significantly more foreign direct investment, corresponding to 82 percent greater FDI levels, it said.

Separately, while the impending increase in U.S. interest rates could raise capital flow volatility, it is not expected to rattle the region’s markets as it did in 2013, the report said. Still, managing potentially volatile capital outflows remains an important issue for the region — especially given rising risk premiums and depreciating currencies, it said.

The last post for technology exports includes a wide variety of technology exports.

I am talking here about only the highest of high value chains.

For example look at Silicon.

silicon1.jpg
silicon2.jpg
silicon3.jpg
silicon4.jpg

High tech is High tech and this is the official report about it , let's comply withthe authoritative and reliable sources . Those reports were released by international organizations and are the result of professional teamwork, let's not try to steal their jobs.

High tech is High tech and this is the official report about it , let's comply withthe authoritative and reliable sources . Those reports were released by international organizations and are the result of professional teamwork, let's not try to steal their jobs.

Things like computers are also counted as high tech.

HIgh tech is a very broad definition, and I am talking here about hi-hi-hi-tech.

The pinnacle of the supply chain.

Also, it is important because it lets us know about the placement of the hi-tech stuff. Countries like Germany, Japan dominate at the high end of the high-tech stuff, while china dominates in the middle.

Things like computers are also counted as high tech.

HIgh tech is a very broad definition, and I am talking here about hi-hi-hi-tech.

The pinnacle of the supply chain.

Also, it is important because it lets us know about the placement of the hi-tech stuff. Countries like Germany, Japan dominate at the high end of the high-tech stuff, while china dominates in the middle.
Clearly, you try to twist your way to heal your wounded ego with your rubbish reasoning. I despise people like u

Back
Top Bottom