What's new

China Space Military:Recon, Satcom, Navi, ASAT/BMD, Orbital Vehicle, SLV, etc.

many rockets don't have fins, for example falcon 9, earlier CZ-2's, more current CZ-3C. the american saturn-5 rocket had fins but they later found out they didn't need it because the rocket was stable enough and actually planned to remove the fins to save weight but then the whole programs was pretty much canceled before that can happen.
Falcon 9 has multiple engines. Using differential thrust, you can steer a rocket. Same situation with Saturn V. It had multiple engines.

CZ-2 and CZ-3 both have multiple engines. By throttling the separate engines, you can produce differential thrust.

As far as I can see, the CZ-6 has only one rocket engine. You can't use differential thrust to steer.

ox7TpNs.jpg

Last edited:
Falcon 9 has multiple engines. Using differential thrust, you can steer a rocket. Same situation with Saturn V. It had multiple engines.

CZ-2 and CZ-3 both have multiple engines. By throttling the separate engines, you can produce differential thrust.

As far as I can see, the CZ-6 has only one rocket engine. You can't use differential thrust to steer.

i was merely giving some example of finless rockets, there are plenty of ways to control rockets without fins, differential thrust isn't the only way (if you play kerbal space program, this is very familiar), for a single engine rocket such as the CZ-6, you can have gimbaled thrust control, where that one nozzle can move a bit in from side to side(most modern, one engine, rockets uses this method or vanes). SLBM's uses this too. other methods include control vanes and more exotically, shifting the center of mass

i was merely giving some example of finless rockets, there are plenty of ways to control rockets without fins, differential thrust isn't the only way (if you play kerbal space program, this is very familiar), for a single engine rocket such as the CZ-6, you can have gimbaled thrust control, where that one nozzle can move a bit in from side to side(most modern, one engine, rockets uses this method or vanes). SLBM's uses this too. other methods include control vanes and more exotically, shifting the center of mass
The CZ-6 rocket engine looks like its embedded into the fuselage.

Gyroscopic precession means "shifting center of mass."

I raised the point in case someone knows the technology that is being used on the CZ-6.

Very advanced control technologies on an expensive SLBM makes sense. It's surprising to see it applied on a civilian rocket.

Long March 6 - Spaceflight101
YF-100 is available in a one-axis and two-axis gimbaled version. CZ-6 uses two-axis gimabling for pitch and yaw control while roll control is accomplished with four Roll Control Thrusters each delivering a thrust of 1,000 Newtons (102kgf) burning a mixture of Kerosene and Hydrogen Peroxide.

But Chinese report of the roll control thruster is different.
長征六號創造性地使用了發動機燃氣滾控系統,利用一級發動機渦輪泵後引出高溫高壓富氧燃氣,與發動機一起對火箭進行滾動姿態控制,以保證火箭飛行過程中的姿態穩定。這在國際上屬於首創。
Long March 6 creative use of the engine gas generation for roll control. Using the high temperature and high pressure oxygen-rich gas, post the first stage engine turbopump for rocket roll control to ensure stable flight attitude. This first of its kind in the world.

The CZ-6 rocket engine looks like its embedded into the fuselage.

Gyroscopic precession means "shifting center of mass."

I raised the point in case someone knows the technology that is being used on the CZ-6.

Very advanced control technologies on an expensive SLBM makes sense. It's surprising to see it applied on a civilian rocket.

look i understand you want these rocket to magically have the best or must futuristic tech in em. however, this is simply not true, they work great as is and will form the next generation of chinese rockets that will see the space station get built, and evetually lead to CZ-9 super heavy.

from China conducts debut launch of Long March 6 | NASASpaceFlight.com

"The first stage has a 3.35 meter diameter and is equipped with a single YF-100 engine, consuming 76,000 kg of kerosene RP-1/LOX. The YF-100 engine is capable of a ground thrust of 1,177 kN and a ground specific impulse of 2.9 km/s. Burn time is 155 seconds. The first stage uses four 1000 N thrusters for roll control. "

China wishes to buy RD-180 rocket engines from Russia
12:46 July 7, 2015 Interfax
NASA_606779main_msl20111126b_top.jpg

Atlas V rockets have used Russian RD-180 engines since 1996. Source: Press Photo / NASA

China is interested in buying Russia's RD-180 dual-combustion chamber 400 tonne thrust engines for its prospective super-heavy-lift launch vehicle, a source familiar with the situation told Interfax-AVN on July 7.

"The question is at least about buying ready rocket engines, first and foremost, RD-180, or even acquiring a production license," the source said in comment on a statement by Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin who said on Monday that China might buy Russian rocket engines.

In his words, "the second option is undesirable to us."

"It's all about coordination of an intergovernmental agreement on the protection of technologies, and we have an obvious difference here: the Chinese want to use our engine at their own discretion and we cannot do that. Consistent with the missile technology control regime, we bear full responsibility for the use [of this technology] by a country not participating in this regime," he said.

At present, RD-180 engines designed and manufactured by NPO Energomash in the Moscow region are supplied to the United States.

"The Chinese have chosen the RD-180 engine for possible development of a universal rocket module on its basis, because an [engine] modification for Russia's Rus-M launch vehicle was supposed to deliver a payload to the orbit even in the case of failure of one engine in the first stage's propulsion package," he said.

As known, former heads of Roscosmos abandoned the project of a medium-class launch vehicle with increased lift capacity, Rus-M, in favor of Angara.

A draft federal space program for the period from 2016 till 2025 does not envisage the development of a super-heavy-lift launch vehicle in Russia. The program only stipulates an upgrade of the heavy-lift launch vehicle Angara-A5 to the Angara-A5B modification with 35 tonne lift capacity.

- China wishes to buy RD-180 rocket engines from Russia | Russia Beyond The Headlines)

I think this is a prelude for DF-41. :D

The warhead can easily be filled up of 10 MIRV, not including decoy.

What is the weight of one Chinese warhead?

The only analyst I have read pointed it out to be 300kg, which will only allow 3-4 warheads on something similar.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom