What's new

China shocks world by genetically engineering human embryos

On the contrary religious nuts like the Saudi are actually on board with this:

http://www.arabnews.com/featured/news/697376

They apparently have a different view than those of the West.

Great Scot!

I should clarify that when I use the term religious nuts for the most part I'm thinking of the Americans living in the "bible belt" USA. The creationist who believe the earth is 6000 years old.

Great Scot!

I should clarify that when I use the term religious nuts for the most part I'm thinking of the Americans living in the "bible belt" USA. The creationist who believe the earth is 6000 years old.
And the Chinese people who believes in the spirituality of the number 8 and arrangements of furniture in feng shui ? A lot of difference there... :lol:

Great Scot!

Those guys are a special kind of idiot:
taccrusade.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rse-cross-etched-repel-Muslim-terrorists.html

And the Chinese people who believes in the spirituality of the number 8 and arrangements of furniture in feng shui ? A lot of difference there... :lol:
I must have hit your Christian nerve. :rofl:

Yes a lot of difference. Vietnamese believe in Feng Shui also. Difference is, Chinese people do not let superstition get in the way of scientific progress.

That is why the embryo project is being tested in China by Chinese scientists. :cheers:

I must have hit your Christian nerve. :rofl:

Yes a lot of difference. Vietnamese believe in Feng Shui also. Difference is, Chinese people do not let superstition get in the way of scientific progress.

That is why the embryo project is being tested in China by Chinese scientists. :cheers:
You mean like how the 2008 Olympics was started with the number 8 ?

It cracks me up that people from other countries loves to mock religious Americans without looking at their own. In this instance, you WILL underestimate your fellow Chinese.

You mean like how the 2008 Olympics was started with the number 8 ?

It cracks me up that people from other countries loves to mock religious Americans without looking at their own. In this instance, you WILL underestimate your fellow Chinese.

it's a tradition and using the number 8 never gets in the way of scientific progress, while a dogmatic belief in a 6000 year old earth doesn't even allow for rational guessing of petroleum reserve locations.

it's a tradition and using the number 8 never gets in the way of scientific progress, while a dogmatic belief in a 6000 year old earth doesn't even allow for rational guessing of petroleum reserve locations.
Chinese numerology is 'tradition' while religious theology is 'dogmatic'. Funny how 'traditional' China is benefiting from the Western 'dogmatic' religionists of their scientific achievements, including the one in this thread.:lol:

images.jpg

Like it or not Genetic Engineering are the future. Just imagine a future where our genes will no longer be decided by a throw of a dice, but by our actual choices. Hereditary diseases & other malaise will be a thing of the past.
Similarly to how @Nihonjin1051 gets to choose a handsome avatar? ;)

An interesting case of perspective tho. What is considered 'attractive' phenotype differs, really, from one society to the next. What Nigerians of the Igbo ethnic group may consider beautiful may differ from the Sundanese ethnic group in Indonesia, or the ethnic Germans in Germany. Perhaps we should try to validate and substantiate this notion of selective beautification by identifying key components of what constitutes beauty in these various sub-races, sub-cultural ethnic groups and this selection vagaries.

In the East Asian sense of male phenotypica 'perfection' it can be manifested in the beauty of Taiwanese model Godfrey Gao. I must admit the man is dashingly handsome, and captures the 'essential' East Asian phenotypic beauty , which many Japanese, Chinese, Korea, Mongolian (and other East Asian sub-races) may consider attractive.

I personally believe that Godfrey Gao is just beautiful. Gorgeous man. Not in a homosexual way, but in an appreciation of his God-given beauty and looks.

b755161fe5dd15f4ff6ddb26daef9263.gif

tumblr_inline_o1ucv4NZVM1sl8ico_540.jpg

interview-godfrey-gao-for-sk-ii_11.jpg

9bba19d351650107b21def93f9223424.jpg

Lot of progress in medical field can be achieved using genetic engineering but the risk is also high. If it backfires it might leave a section of the population with defects who will hold rest of the humanity responsible for it.
Second thing is that unlike past where humans were isolated, thrived as indigenous ppl as such diseases or genetic defects did not get transmitted. In todays modern world the genetic engineering will spread across every nook and corner , any bad thing will nearly affect every one on the planet.

The blowbacks of genetic defect might not be immediate but after 40 or 50 years , by which time it will hard to reverse the damage.

Zombie science fictions might come true one day and you might be last standing genetically pure human and your...........................................brain is needed for research:p:.

The blowbacks of genetic defect might not be immediate but after 40 or 50 years , by which time it will hard to reverse the damage.

Actually...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DNA_repair

http://www.nature.com/scitable/topicpage/dna-damage-repair-mechanisms-for-maintaining-dna-344

On the contrary religious nuts like the Saudi are actually on board with this:

I think this refers back to consanguinity. Such kinds of union results in high instances of genetic aberration due to genetic breaks. Its actually good that they heed medical consultative warnings of not proceeding with kin-to-kin marriages (cousin marriages, sibling marriages) which are very common in closed-off religious communities , and common in very backward thinking tribal societies.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7574448

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23600619

Hmm, engineering human genetic is very complex issue, as both good and bad sequence intertwined as unity. Reason behind human genetic engineering is deciding factor it will beneficial or gone bad, messing with nature creation not a good thing, and behind that reason there was morality.

Hmm, engineering human genetic is very complex issue, as both good and bad sequence intertwined as unity. Reason behind human genetic engineering is deciding factor it will beneficial or gone bad, messing with nature creation not a good thing, and behind that reason there was morality.
Mother nature is not perfect thus genetic engineering is a must. For example, our knee is one of many things mother nature did not perfect.

Back
Top Bottom