What's new

China shall give 50 JF17 Thunder on emergency bases

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is indeed a great development, we should also request/pay China for ToT for AESA technology.

Hi, this has overall been a good discussion. Let's not digress in the old JF-17 versus LCA arguments. Let's keep to the point, and moreover be civil to each other.

KARACHI:
Pakistan is getting a good deal, Defence Minister Ahmad Mukhtar will tell you. Instead of paying $80 million per piece for the American-built F-16s, the JF-17 Thunder fighter jets will cost us about a fourth of that, between $20 and $25 million per piece.

The deal is so good, the minister says, that we’ve ordered 50 of the JF-17s to be delivered in the next six months.

How much would that cost us? Between $1 and $1.25 billion. That doesn’t sound awfully expensive for national defence in itself but how else could we spend about $1.25 billion?

Education

About seven million children in Pakistan are not enrolled in primary schools, according to Pakistan Education Task Force. With $1.25 billion, The Citizen’s Foundation, a private NGO that runs schools for underprivileged children, could educate 1.8 million of them for three years in over 7,000 schools built from scratch. Of course, if it was spent more wisely on already constructed schools, it could possibly resolve Pakistan’s education emergency.

Health

The Saudi government built basic health units at a cost of Rs13 million each in quake-affected a reas. That means instead of 50 fighter jets, we could have 8,173 basic health units, or over 1,400 fully-equipped, 50-bed hospitals.

Infrastructure

Lack of infrastructure – roads, airports, public transit systems – is a serious constraint on Pakistan’s development. Meanwhile, the floods destroyed the already-existing highway network in the country. For $1.25 billion, the National Highway Authority could build approximately 2,500 kilometres of brand new, four-lane highways or 1,250 kms of world-class, six-lane, access controlled motorways. That’s more than three times the length of the famed Islamabad-Lahore motorway.

Of course, it could alternatively be spent on the much-needed Gwadar airport, 13 times over!

And if I were to be selfish and think just about Karachi, it could pay for 80% of the Karachi Circular Railway’s cost, or give the city a modern bus rapid transit network, four times. That’s real splurging.

Power

Each megawatt (MWe) of power produced by a thermal plant costs about $1 million in plant construction etc, on average. $1.25 billion would mean we add an additional 1,250 MWe of electricity to our starved network. Of course, there is no guarantee we’d be able to produce and then use it since lack of electricity is not due to lack of installed generation capacity. But if you’re jingoistic enough, one could also use the 50 fighter jets money for an additional nuclear reactor at Chashma that would produce 340 MWe of electricity.

Published in The Express Tribune, May 21st, 2011.

yes you are absolutely right but all this money can be generated by stopping corruption

you know if we don't by these aircraft we will not save $1 bill or $ 1.25 bill, because i think you forget to include the corruption margin of 80% (yes it is that high in Pakistan). now how much money we will have after applying the corruption constant

money saved from defence deal = money saved X ( 1 - corruption constant)

where corruption constant is equal to 80% or 0.80

so if we save $ 1 billion what will be benefit amount . . . .

Amount saved = $ 1 Billion X ( 1 - 80% )

or

Amount Saved = $ 1 Billion X ( 1 - 0.80 )
Amount Saved = $ 1 Billion X 0.20

Amount Saved = $ 200 million

aaa man bundle of amount saved . . . . :yahoo:

"on personal note" there is only one question "are U politician ?"

(First of all, please forgive my machine translation)

brothers of Pakistan:
the following are my personal views for this news:

1. now on production of 50 JF-17 is unrealistic, should be included in the production plan. Has several may: China air force has may own also plan equipment JF-17 (after all China number huge of second generation confidential all with J-10,J-20 replaced in economic Shang difficulty is large, and high and low match feasible and with consumption than); this this is secret agreement, just in plan end Shi to outside a informed; this is war reserves of part, this is should burst war with, but for current special situation ahead of put table;

2. So suddenly must have its political background behind the move. My view is that after helping Pakistan can better resist BLD United States and the international community to exert political pressure. Despite China by remarks certainly has Pakistan in counter-terrorism in the of positive contribution, but if also does not enough to makes United States placed low stick, so on need made some actual of action, 50 frame JF-17 is this action, its on Pakistan air defense ability technology Shang of upgrade is minor of, its subtext should is main purpose: United States cannot free violations Pakistan of airspace and sovereignty; United States cannot to counter-terrorism of name will Pakistan became combat object, India not with in behind advantage,

3. It's 100% free(As I konw)

4. and so on above only is I personal views, looked objective treat.

:pakistan::china:

I REMEMBER GUY NAMED PAPU WHO SAID IN ONE THREAD WE ARE GOING TO HAVE SURPRISES THIS YEAR FOR AIRFORCE !!!
I THINK ALL WAS ALREADY PLANNED !!!

I think this news means: will begin in a few weeks to deliver the first aircraft. Not delivered in a few weeks 50 aircraft.

Some other media in india are assuming this is not a NEW order but merely confirmation of the first batch of 50 arriving 12 months earl;ier

ie orginally sheduled to complete delivery mid 2012.

Now will finish December 2011.

TO BE HONEST THIS theory seems to make more sense./

Not even the USA can supply 50 f16 new build in 12 months IT JUST NOT FEASIBLE

I think Pakistani media or OUR interpretation as GONE wrong completely.
i also think we wont get it in 12 months but it feasible if any country wants it..
f-16 production is down to minimum during ti peaks days America was able to produce near 400 a year..
by end of next year lockheed martin will be producing 1 f-35 each day..360 a year

We need to be realistic. I do not think that China has 50 aircraft stashed some where in a roon and ship them in a week. It may realistically take at least 6 months if not more to produce 50 copies.

I think we need to understand that Chengdu is extremely busy place with J10 and JF17 production. They are busy with development of J20 and J10B. So just adding big numbers of planes is not easy task. But we know the Chinese have no real issue with training fast big numbers of engineers. I think they are trying to setup new production lines for the export and PAF will get the planes as long as they not need to export them. They will churning out planes in 2012. So probably the 50 will come in the next few months till end 2012. After that the Chinese will switch towards exports.

And to make JF17 is not!!

I agree that comment was uncalled for
both planes in their own right fulfil the requirements of the respective air forces and have come about after years of research and deliberations. What one might be useful and essential for one air force might not be needed for another but that doesn’t make either planes useless.

If somebody could tell that if these 50 jf-17's are in addition to the previous 50 orderd? Also how much time the delivery of these aircrafts would take, does the production rate is as high as 50/year.

on urgent basis mean at Chinese factory will work 24 hours a day and 365 days a year to produce JF17 and its mean that their production will be double and if we calculate our production that is 24 planes a year then it will double. so base on that we can say that we can get 4 JF17 plane per month. which is very fast and we all know that China is the best country if we talk about mass production

My two cents

Sorry to say but your two sents are exacly that. Running a factory for 24 hours means hiring additional manpower (additional two set of hands for every one set of hands currently employed), providing training (which can take anywhere from minimum three months to one year), increasing quality assurance, warehousing, logistics, maintenance and all other services in direct proportions.

All this is not impossible but very difficult and time consuming. In case of war it makes sense, but to produce just 50 additional units for a foreign buyer is neither viable, nor sensible.

In the worst case scenario ( a breakout of war between Pak and any other adversary) it would be much easier and viable for China or any other friendly nation to lend/sell their current under use equipment rather than producing new one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom