What's new

China Second lowest in Asia-Pacific in English Proficiency.

This is lovely news! China is preserving it's culture. That's good. Knowing English may help you world-wide in many departments, but China is an example disproving that. I respect the Chinese people for this.

EF EPI Country Rankings
Very high proficiency
Rank Country

1 Sweden
2 Denmark
3 Netherlands
4 Finland
5 Norway
High proficiency
Rank Country
6 Belgium
7 Austria
8 Hungary
9 Germany
10 Poland
11 Czech Republic
12 Singapore
13 Malaysia
Moderate proficiency
Rank Country
14 India
15 Switzerland
16 Slovakia
17 Pakistan
18 Spain
19 Portugal
20 Argentina
21 South Korea
22 Japan
23 France
24 Italy
25 Hong Kong
Low proficiency
Rank Country
26 Uruguay
27 Indonesia
28 Iran
29 Russia
30 Taiwan
31 Vietnam
32 Turkey
33 Peru
34 Costa Rica
35 Morocco
36 China
37 Qatar
38 Mexico
Very low proficiency
Rank Country
39 Chile
40 Venezuela
41 El Salvador
42 Syria
43 Ecuador
44 Algeria
45 Kuwait
46 Brazil
47 Guatemala
48 Egypt
49 UAE
50 Colombia
51 Panama
52 Saudi Arabia
53 Thailand
54 Libya

Phillippines was not in the test?

Surprisingly, before I think Vietnam is in Thailand's ranking position and vice versa!

glad to see that pakistan has the best english skill in muslim countries.
this we can learn from pakistan.

China first of the world in Chinese Proficiency

I'm surprised that the rank for Mexico is so low, being on the border of the US.

Personally, I don't think it's that great of a deal.
The most important metric for understanding English as a secondary language is reading and writing.

Written text is the most effective method of spreading knowledge and ideas after all.

In this measure, China performs very well.

Western shows are also very popular in China, so they can learn to speak English that way.

When did I say I was "proud" of it? :lol:

Maybe you missed what language we are using right now?

I'm saying that the average Chinese person doesn't need it. It's useful but not a necessity, any companies that plan on doing overseas business can have a few people who are English-language proficient and that is enough.

Countries like America and India have taken the language of England as the official language of their Government, which means that it NEEDS to be used in official contexts. No such necessity exists in East Asia, for better or for worse.

The United States federal government has no official language.

many engineers can not even tell a complete joke with their poor english,it does not matter.they can read most of the EI or SCI papers with the help of translation softwares.I have many colleagues whose english is worse than me(i think my english is the worst in this forum:yahoo:).But they do a large number of designs every year for other countries, only dozens of words in each their drawings.

It doesnt matter ,Y do we have to see everything from the eyes of West ......

Y english should be necessary measure to see how the nation is developing....... I bet of we can learn things in our own language just like chinese are doing alot of people will get educated.

Alot of students get dropped from school every year just coz they failed to pass English. But they are normal in all other courses so isnt it better that leave aside english ,make is selective and let students choose if they want to learn english or not.

The fact that we don't know English is proof that we were never colonised by the British like India was.

I'm actually proud we weren't FORCED to learn the language of the Anglo-Saxon.

We can learn it if we want to, it's our choice.
But Indians have no choice, they are forced to learn English or else they will be punished.

The fact that we don't know English is proof that we were never colonised by the British like India was.

I'm actually proud we weren't FORCED to learn the language of the Anglo-Saxon.

We can learn it if we want to, it's our choice.
But Indians have no choice, they are forced to learn English or else they will be punished.

In India, English is the language that tie the nation together. Tamil folks use only English in Indian parliament. Most Tamil I know Do not speak Hindi. One guy from Tamil that lived in Singapore know a few words in Mandarin. And he claims that he knows more words in Chinese than Hindi.

Proud to know that India is ranked 14 in the world.
I am sure we will be in the category of high proficiency in English by next year.
You need a score of 57.5 for high category,India's score is 57.49.
Proud what?A country which English is its official language and first language only ranks 14.And you say proud?It's funny.

In India, English is the language that tie the nation together. Tamil folks use only English in Indian parliament.

Majority of educated Indians don't know how to speak English. :enjoy:

[ One guy from Tamil that lived in Singapore know a few words in Mandarin. And he claims that he knows more words in Chinese than Hindi.

I think you met Singaporean Tamil.

Proud what?A country which English is its official language and first language only ranks 14.And you say proud?It's funny.

English don't have official status in India, there are 22 official languages but not English. And proudness is about knowing more than one language. The fact remains English is world's most spoken language, why not learn it instead of looking for a translator.

Majority of educated Indians don't know how to speak English. :enjoy:

I think you met Singaporean Tamil.

English don't have official status in India, there are 22 official languages but not English. And proudness is about knowing more than one language.

this does not seem to be the intention of the op who wanted to mock at our low english standard in asia while bragging indian's
proficiency in the test

Back
Top Bottom