What's new

China, Russia block U.N. council concern about Myanmar violence (against Rohingya Muslims)

idune

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
China, Russia block U.N. council concern about Myanmar violence (against Rohingya Muslims)

r

A Rohingya abandoned house is seen at U Shey Kya village outside Maungdaw, in Rakhine state, Myanmar October 26, 2016. REUTERS/Soe Zeya Tun
China, backed by Russia, blocked a short U.N. Security Council statement on Myanmar on Friday, diplomats said, after the 15-member body met to discuss the situation in Rakhine state, where the country's military is conducting a security operation.

The U.N. human rights office last month accused the military of mass killings and rapes of Rohingya Muslims and burning their villages since October in a campaign that "very likely" amounts to crimes against humanity and possibly ethnic cleansing.

U.N. political affairs chief Jeffrey Feltman briefed the council behind closed doors. Britain requested the meeting.

"We did put forward ... some proposed press elements but there was not consensus in the room," British U.N. Ambassador Matthew Rycroft, president of the council for March, told reporters after the briefing.

Such statements have to be agreed by consensus. Diplomats said Myanmar neighbor China, backed by Russia, blocked the statement.

The short draft press statement, seen by Reuters, would have "noted with concern renewed fighting in some parts of the country and stressed the importance of humanitarian access to all effected areas."

Some 75,000 people have fled Rakhine state to Bangladesh since Myanmar's military began a security operation last October in response to what it says was an attack by Rohingya insurgents on border posts in which nine police officers were killed.

The European Union called on Thursday for the United Nations to send an international fact-finding mission urgently to Myanmar to investigate allegations of torture, rapes and executions by the military against the Rohingya Muslim.

Following a closed-door council meeting in November and as Western nations became increasingly concerned about how Aung San Suu Kyi's government was dealing with violence in the divided northwest, Suu Kyi told diplomats in the capital, Naypyitaw, that her country was being treated unfairly.

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-myanmar-rohingya-un-idUSKBN16O2J6

Please keep in mind that both Russia and China have declared radical Islam as a threat to their national security, both of them. Their foreign policy takes this factor into account.

Rohingya Muslims are subjected genocide and victim here. Where the hell you see "radical Islam" here?

That being said,

China tacitly supporting Myanmar genocide and Buddhist led terrorism makes it culpable. Its hypocritical for China to oppose Dali lama led Buddhist yet supporting Myanmar Buddhist terrorist. I personally had been in favorable opinion about China and its action BUT this despicable act by China makes me change my view of China. In fact now to think of it, China should NOT be allowed to extend maritime silk road in Myanmar, Bangladesh and in greater indian ocean region. Rather competing Japanese and Korean effort should be given priority. China can have fun with Buddhist terrorists in Myanmar.

Don't agree with the decision taken by China and Russia. I do understand that both nations have interests at stake, but should really condemn and force Myanmar to halt the insane violence against innocent people.

Rohingya Muslims are subjected genocide and victim here. Where the hell you see "radical Islam" here?

That being said,

China tacitly supporting Myanmar genocide and Buddhist led terrorism makes it culpable. Its hypocritical for China to oppose Dali lama led Buddhist yet supporting Myanmar Buddhist terrorist. I personally had been in favorable opinion about China and its action BUT this despicable act by China makes me change my view of China. In fact now to think of it, China should NOT be allowed to extend maritime silk road in Myanmar, Bangladesh and in greater indian ocean region. Rather competing Japanese and Korean effort should be given priority. China can have fun with Buddhist terrorists in Myanmar.

Stop exaggerating. Sure, China and Russia shouldn't have made this move, but we see such decisions in many other instances. They are politically motivated. Just look at the West who gives Israel a free pass to implement an apartheid state against the Palestinians. You know how many resolutions against Israel are blocked at the UN? No one bats an eye lid.

Last edited:
The intent was only aimed at exploring the facts. Blocking such a move only indicates that they have something to hide. A regrettable step taken by Russia & China, if more people get subjected to violence in Myanmar, it's on Russia and China too. Sorry I have always had great affinity for China, but just the way China is prioritizing it's interests in Myanmar, I as a Muslim have a set of priorities for myself too and here they don't align with what China is doing by providing cover to the genocide in Myanmar.

Last edited:
I am sure that it means terrorism, not Islam itself.

He use Word " Radical Islam " which is very famous in west these days ... I never heard or see Russia or China issuing a statement using the word Radical ISLAM as they often use word " Terrorists " .. which is more right cause there is no such thing to me as radical Islam , its either Muslims or Terrorists .

Even Russian's Fought the chechans and among them there were Radicalized terrorists , but i never catch Russian claiming that Islam is Threat to Russia ..

Back
Top Bottom