What's new

China population: 3 million foreign nannies could boost births by 200,000, save families US$30 billion

I honestly think China should start opening up immigration at this point, with preferences for SE Asia.

Southeast Asian to be exact. I don't have Singapore's data on hand yet, but Hong Kong has about 400,000 foreign nannies, mainly from Philippines (55%) and Indonesia (42%).

In fact there's already a sizable foreign nanny workforce here in Shanghai, some of them initially came here with their Hong Kong or Singaporean employers. If China officially relax rule on foreign domestic helpers, I guess job opportunities would be way more than 3 million.
I can't image how can people think of letting their children groomed by people from foreign nation,when I was a kid my parents wouldn't even consider people from other ethnicity to look after me .
Domestic helpers should be a professionalized service and not direct live in for foreigners.

ps:I myself was brought up by nannies ,my sister too,since both my parents used to work ,but they were never treated nannies as servants.The nanny use to help on her own,she was never ordered to do anything.

But ,our Meitei people don't have maid /servant culture,you wouldn't find a single Maid or domestic helper of meitei ethnic in the world but there are families with financial strains,one such family allowed their daughter to look after me, in return ,my parents would bear her wedding expenses as well as pay a monthly fee for the service,there was an understanding that we were not getting a "domestic helper" but a guest who would play with kids when parents are out there working.
My nannies were never treated like the Singaporean domestic helpers get treated.She helped around if she wished on her own accord but never asked to help in domestic chores.
There should be an app where educated and vetted people can earn side income by nanning just like working at star bucks,only lazy people require domestic helpers,and I can't stand lazy bums from British colonies like singapore,hongkong and India who took over British servant culture.

I can't image how can people think of letting their children groomed by people from foreign nation,when I was a kid my parents wouldn't even consider people from other ethnicity to look after me .
Domestic helpers should be a professionalized service and not direct live in for foreigners.

I suspect that foreigners will be kind to the children when their father and mother are not at home. There are many secret methods to abuse children and avoid detection. It leaves permanent damage to the child's psychology and affects the future. Sadly, many cases only discovered when it was too late

Even without abuse, foreign citizens with culture, psychology, thinking, behavior unlike indigenous people, they take care of children, it will affect the psychology and physicalness of indigenous children , it creates a deviation for children.

Last edited:

ps:I myself was brought up by nannies ,my sister too,since both my parents used to work ,but they were never treated nannies as servants.The nanny use to help on her own,she was never ordered to do anything.

But ,our Meitei people don't have maid /servant culture,you wouldn't find a single Maid or domestic helper of meitei ethnic in the world but there are families with financial strains,one such family allowed their daughter to look after me, in return ,my parents would bear her wedding expenses as well as pay a monthly fee for the service,there was an understanding that we were not getting a "domestic helper" but a guest who would play with kids when parents are out there working.
My nannies were never treated like the Singaporean domestic helpers get treated.She helped around if she wished on her own accord but never asked to help in domestic chores.
There should be an app where educated and vetted people can earn side income by nanning just like working at star bucks,only lazy people require domestic helpers,and I can't stand lazy bums from British colonies like singapore,hongkong and India who took over British servant culture.
There's a misunderstanding my friend! It's more about household service rather than taking care of kids. Even with helpers, Chinese parents always try as much as possible to take care of kids themselves, may ask grand parents for occasional help, or use day care centers when no other options available.

A lot of families are just too busy, even full-time parents could become exhausted with kid's schooling, tutoring, piano, dancing, sports, .... you name it, for them domestic helper isn't a luxury, but a necessity. Due to huge demand China government has already opened the door to Philippino workers since 2017 in 5 cities (e.g. Shanghai, Beijing, Xiamen) with salary at PHP100,000 (~US$2,000) per month. Here employers are very nice to the helpers, I've never heard of any abuse.

Last edited:
I suspect that foreigners will be kind to the children when their father and mother are not at home. There are many secret methods to abuse children and avoid detection. It leaves permanent damage to the child's psychology and affects the future. Sadly, many cases only discovered when it was too late

Even without abuse, foreign citizens with culture, psychology, thinking, behavior unlike indigenous people, they take care of children, it will affect the psychology and physicalness of indigenous children , it creates a deviation for children.
You are way over analyzing. Foreigners are just as human as any chinese - unless they demonstrate any harmful intent or prejudice they are likely to be just as good as any. Moreover one can expect foreigners to be more diligent as they are on visas.

There's a misunderstanding my friend! It's more about domestic help rather than taking care of baby. Even with helpers, Chinese parents will try as much as possible to take care of babies themselves, or let grand parents help, or use day care centers if necessary.

A lot of families are just too busy working as well as taking care of kids (schooling, piano, dancing, sports .... you name it), for them domestic helper is a necessity. Due to huge demand China government has already opened the door to Philippino workers since 2017 in 5 cities (e.g. Shanghai, Beijing, Xiamen) with salary at PHP100,000 (~US$2,000) per month. Here employers are very nice to the helpers, I've never heard of any abuse.

I don't agree that being busy working is an excuse ,do you see workaholic Japanese society having a domestic helper's phenomenon?
I've seen my mom do cleaning than cook food and everything else before going to work and then return and clean,cook and do house chores and then take me to where ever I needed to be,it might be a cultural factor ; I don't see S.Korea or Japan complaining about the need for domestic helper,I can't take the "domestic helper" need seriously ,it appears to me as frivolous indulgence and unthoughtful.

Last edited:
I don't agree that being busy working is an excuse ,do you see workaholic Japanese society having a domestic helper's phenomenon?
I've seen my mom do cleaning than cook food and everything else before going to work and then return and clean,cook and do house chores and then take me to where ever I needed to be,It might be a cultural factor ; I don't see S.Korea or Japan complaining about the need for domestic helper,I can't take the "domestic helper" need seriously ,it appears to me as frivolous indulgence and unthoughtful.
Well different culture indeed

Bad idea. Look at the girls of Singapore who have unfettered access to nannies from poor neighbouring countries. They are completely spoiled, ungrounded to the point of schizophrenic.

The moment you ask Singapore girls wipe old parent backside, she will freak out and start throwing tantrums, start shouting. While the boys who went conscription are more pliable for dirty jobs.

Today without nanny a lot of Singapore family will breakdown. Women will go on strike not having babies.

Women should be trained from the young that housework is a duty. Look at Vietnam girls. No matter how beautiful or how rich, they all do housework.
You are damn right about this

China nanny salary is 15k CNY a month. This is 4-5 times higher than Singapore. This is how the nouvel riche pays the poor. This is how the poor can have a dignified life. To import foreign nanny will cheapen the domestic nanny, will make domestic nanny feel undignified.

China should set a beacon to the world. China should not learn from Singapore. Even toilet cleaner must have high salary. So long as people are hardworking, the more dirty the work, the more menial the work, the salary should be high.

As there is a shortage of women in China, wouldn't these foreign nannies be having children in China?:rolleyes1:

I think China can get these nannies from Pakistan..Win win for both countries...will also help to reduce trade deficit.

Also, those Chinese children will have a strong affinity for Pakistan and help to cement the iron brotherhood...

Nannies are not good idea, our family had employed certified trained foreign nannies from Indonesia, Philippines and Kambodia. Difference in culture and hygiene can be a big headache to employers. They can play some very naughty acts which can be very disgusting that it will be very hard to suppress your anger.

Child care centers at neigborhood community centres sponsor by government and AI (smart parent-child communications and robotic monitoring etc) solutions would be better.

Those who support foreign nanny got to ask themselves whether they want to bring foreign nanny salary up to CNY 15k per month, or bring China nanny salary to CNY3500 per month.

Those who support foreign nanny got to ask themselves whether they want to bring foreign nanny salary up to CNY 15k per month, or bring China nanny salary to CNY3500 per month.

I was surprised.

There are many English teachers in China who are foreigners, but they are not Anglo Saxon. Many English teachers in China come from the 3rd world countries, their skills and knowledge are worse than native teachers, but their wages are higher, because they are foreigners. And there are many cases of foreign teachers (teaching English) have sexually abused sex, rape Chinese female students, then brag and offend China

Next, China imports a lot of athletes from abroad. They do not feel ashamed of historical and cultural betrayal. They feel happy because their sports team is full of white-black and mixed citizens.

Now, they start supporting the idea of importing nannies from abroad

Lol-lol-lol

It is their freedom. If they like it, so let them happily with it

I was surprised.

There are many English teachers in China who are foreigners, but they are not Anglo Saxon. Many English teachers in China come from the 3rd world countries, their skills and knowledge are worse than native teachers, but their wages are higher, because they are foreigners. And there are many cases of foreign teachers (teaching English) have sexually abused sex, rape Chinese female students, then brag and offend China

Next China imports a lot of athletes from abroad, and feels happy with sports teams full of black-white and mixed athletes under the Chinese flag

Now, they start supporting the idea of importing nannies from abroad

Lol-lol-lol

It is their freedom. If they like it, so let them happily with it

My relative was trying to find Vietnamese domestic stay in nanny. Very hard to find even in village unless they go Cao Bang or Sapa to recruit. Not even Vietnamese girls want to be stay in nanny.

Hourly nanny ... also quite hard to find.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom