What's new

China-Pakistan railway ‘worth it’ at estimated US$58 billion: study

China is mulling over making Kashgar a speicial economic zone, a second Shenzhen, so far only Shenzhen got this status in the whole PRC history

Unless they will build a pipeline directly from Iran to Gawdar and then to Kashgar.
That could work as well. Rail cars would be useful initially, and attract investment for a pipeline as well as China pushing for sanctions relief on Iran to build the pipeline to China without ramifications for Pakistan.

Not worth it at 58 billion $, we can't afford it

This is way too expensive and only a traitor to his/her people would sign this deal

Idiots happy over this

Please explain how TF would we pay for it? It'll pretty much enslave us to Chinese intrests

I believe the context of this discussion is about Chine investing this money in Pakistan. So it is not exactly a loan but rather an investment.

When China attack Taiwan, what US will do will be similar like what US is doing in Russia- Ukraine war
This is why China needs to help developing countries build themselves up, so they can absorb some of the demand of developed countries, as well as sell products that China maybe cut off from importing.

I believe the context of this discussion is about Chine investing this money in Pakistan. So it is not exactly a loan but rather an investment.
I don't think so... It's a loan, I am 90% sure

That still doesn’t negate the risk of a coalition of nations putting their navies in the Bay of Bengal and blockading this port.

Gwadar SLOCs to the GCC is shorter and potentially easier to defend, especially if the GCC puts their foot down to politically defend the SLOCs.

If coalition of nations can police Bay of Bengal, then they can police Arabian Sea far more easily. :disagree:

USmilitary.jpeg

Following river valleys and building many tunnels, the Chinese have used this approach in similar terrain in Tibet.

View attachment 926660

Political reforms after the elections will hopefully lead to the reforms to attract the kind of growth you state.

This rail line is a separate engine of potential growth, that will take at least 10 years to build anyway, similar to the line being built between Chengdu and Lhasa.

How about at peace with India and penetrate those 1.4 billion growing market next to your door ?

Muslim entrepreneurs around the world (including in rich Gulf nations, Turkey, etc) and Chinese companies I believe prefer to set up their manufacturing companies in Pakistan and target India and European market

The reality is that Pakistan biggest trade deficit is to China.

Countries that bordering China has massive trade deficit with China like Vietnam and Thailand despite both are very competitive export oriented countries.

Chinese main population is also in near their coast line, Far from Pakistan but closer to SEA.
Viability will therefore be dependent on guaranteed contracts rather than just pure economics, at least until the loans are paid back. Pakistan has to make sure this is negotiated from the onset.

If coalition of nations can police Bay of Bengal, then they can police Arabian Sea far more easily. :disagree:

View attachment 926668
Like I said, if the GCC pushes on the issue they are more likely to have their voices heard. Many of these installations are in GCC countries.

The problem is poor planning from Pakistan side.

For some reason Pakistani side doesn't want a meter gauge or electricification which shows how stupid we are
Shortsighted rather than stupid. We need an economic vision 2047 document that has endorsement by all stakeholders.

That’s true. China makes everything, so it’s hard to export to them. However, as their labor costs go up it is possible to move some industries to other countries, which is already happening.

It’s just that Pakistan never made an effort to get a piece of the pie. No investment in training and education for young people, no effort to get Chinese companies to invest etc. The economy is the last thing in the minds of the dumb generals and politicians.
Better late than never. Hopefully China helps Pakistan see the opportunities and helps them plan to utilize these opportunities

Wrong, China has 1.4 billion population and needs to buy a lot the meet the domestic market, espcially agricultural products and raw material, China buys a lot of food from US, Brazil and Australia.

View attachment 926666
This is why CPEC phase 2; setting up SEZs and agricultural modernization need to be expedited. Pakistani agricultural exports could go to the Chinese market (as well as the GCC market).

Like I said, if the GCC pushes on the issue they are more likely to have their voices heard. Many of these installations are in GCC countries.
So rationale of the project is based on an assumption into the future that US(& other allies) will vacate the the bases and not based on the present situation.

Is constructing castles in the sky your favourite hobby?

How about at peace with India and penetrate those 1.4 billion growing market next to your door ?

Muslim entrepreneurs around the world (including in rich Gulf nations, Turkey, etc) and Chinese companies I believe prefer to set up their manufacturing companies in Pakistan and target India and European market
Opening up to the Indian market before we are competitive would hurt our own companies, not to mention the need to resolve the Kashmir dispute in a manner that safeguards other national interests.

So rationale of the project is based on an assumption into the future that US(& other allies) will vacate the the bases and not based on the present situation.

Is constructing castles in the sky your favourite hobby?

Will the GCC allow its SLOCs to be disrupted from bases within its own territory? No I don’t expect these bases to be vacated, but for the GCC to exert some pressure so that non-lethal supplies are not disrupted.

My advocating for this exact rail link between China and Pakistan was long seen by some on this forum as me building castles in the sky, but here we are today, talking about this rail link idea literally being seriously considered.

I may not be putting out full formed ideas, and spitballing possibilities and scenarios, but that’s what forums are suppose to be; seeing the problem from all angles.

Last edited:
China should be careful not to sign major deals with the illegal regimes of the generals and political mafias, especially if they ask for kickbacks.

The vast bulk of the population hates them. The projects will run into trouble once there’s a legitimate government.

Indonesia is unlikely close Malacca strait, what we are doing is just abducting some ships who wants to go to Singapore port if they dont follow our rule like happening last year and the other year.

Unlikely there is war between US and China, similar like unlikely there is war between US and Russia.
We have Andaman & Nicobar there. Nicobar is the choking point, another choking point is Cilegon, Jakarta. I am sure Indonesia won't like to take the war in between its territories, that too near Jakarta.

We have Andaman & Nicobar there. Nicobar is the choking point, another choking point is Cilegon, Jakarta. I am sure Indonesia won't like to take the war in between its territories, that too near Jakarta.

Unlikely India will help USA if USA and China has direct war. Basically I doubt USA and China will ever have any direct war, most possible indirect war like happening in Russia/Ukraine war.

Malacca Strait is too important for the world. No one will close the strait. And Indonesia Islands are open gates

Indomalaya-ecozone.jpg

Back
Top Bottom