What's new

Featured China Mars rover successfully landed

Hopefully we will see sample return mission from Mars like Chang'e 5 when Long March 9 super heavy lift rocket is available in a few years. :china:

The next big thing is the moon base.

are there plans of bringing the rover & lander back or are they gonna leave them there?

are there plans of bringing the rover & lander back or are they gonna leave them there?

I think in a short-term goal that will make sense if the rover or lander collect physical samples and then another mission can collect the samples a few years later. There's no point in bringing back the entire lander and rover because most data can be collected and transmitted electronically.

Again about samples, I think only the NASA Perseverance rover is the only craft on Mars that has been configured to collect samples.

And some days ago I partially read about some mushroom-like objects seen by the NASA's other two rovers :
Could there be mushrooms on Mars? In a new paper, an international team of scientists from countries including the U.S., France, and China have gathered and compared photographic evidence they say shows fungus-like objects growing on the Red Planet. But other experts in the scientific community are skeptical of the claims.

In their paper, which appears in Scientific Research Publishing’s Advances in Microbiology, the scientists analyze images taken by NASA’s Opportunity and Curiosity rovers, plus the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter’s HiRISE camera. The scientists say the objects in question show “chalky-white colored spherical shaped specimens,” which the Mars Opportunity team initially said was a mineral called hematite.

Later studies refuted the hematite claim. Soon, a scientist named Rhawn Gabriel Joseph—the lead author of the new paper—coined the term “Martian mushrooms” to describe the mysterious objects, because of how they resemble lichens and mushrooms. In another study, fungi and lichen experts classified the spheres as “puffballs”—a white, spherical fungus belonging to the phylum Basidiomycota found on Earth.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/space/moon-mars/a33900282/elon-musk-says-settlers-will-die-on-mars/
In the new paper, the scientists point to a set of Opportunity photos that shows nine spheres increasing in size, and an additional 12 spheres emerging from beneath the soil, over a 3-day sequence. The researchers claim Martian wind didn’t uncover the amorphous spheres, and that they “expand in size, or conversely, change shape, move to new locations, and/or wane in size and nearly disappear.”
Perhaps the Perseverance rover can go to these sites and collect the objects. Read the article. There are pictures and more information.

@Hamartia Antidote

Congrats to China, as I’ve said before, China are excellent followers!
China dont follow others... We used domestic rocket engine and all crucial Chinese components unlike some who lack heavy rocket engine for their Mars mission and decide to buy Russian RD-180 engines.

It I put it blatantly. Perseverance rover mission is just a half full US effort Mars mission.

China mars mission is a true all Chinese effort and is a feat which US cant achieved. :enjoy:

t018a1ef34d3afe9969.jpg

t01feb96ede33d02a03.jpg

Back
Top Bottom