What's new

China lifts ban on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube at APEC meet

Lostsoldier

Reaction score
Country
India
BEIJING: China today presented its best face at APEC summit by lifting ban on social networking websites like Facebook, Twitter for the first time and even allowing web search of the Dalai Lama at the conference venue.

The Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation forum media centre has allowed reporters to access social networking sites such as Twitter, Facebook and video-sharing website YouTube. Access to such sites is essentially restricted by the Chinese government elsewhere in the co ..

Read more at:
China lifts ban on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube at APEC meet - The Economic Times

ban or not ban we can use them anyway, the domestic social network sits and apps are quite mature and solid now, so its time to let the competition in, but i dont think they will be any success

Is that a news?

It's for limited audience only and all of them have access to all of these sites thru VPN.

That's your, my, their own media. not US social media.
If you talk about Youtube, Facebook

That's your, my, their own media. not US social media.
If you talk about Youtube, Facebook

It is US media. Check whose coffers their tax money goes. But I admire your sentimentality and passion. If you wish to use them until your fingers turn green, that is your choice. We do not care how you feel, what you feel, when you feel, why you feel.

China is scared of them?:D

No. Just it does not give them a sh**.

China has its own social media giants, which ensures that the money and employment stay in China. Call it protectionism and take the issue to WTO.

What others think on this issue is China's last concern, if any, really.

Many many people such as me don't like the firewall.We sneer Chinese network as "super LAN":laughcry:
But If we want go through it,it's not a hard matter.Just get a VPN or download a kind of special explorer.
For normal people,who don't know English and aren't curious to outside webs,the firewall is not a case.

It is US media. Check whose coffers their tax money goes. But I admire your sentimentality and passion. If you wish to use them until your fingers turn green, that is your choice. We do not care how you feel, what you feel, when you feel, why you feel.

China has its own social media giants, which ensures that the money and employment stay in China. Call it protectionism and take the issue to WTO.

Then you are scared of US social media companies. Nay, I say you are terrified of them. By 'you', I mean the Chinese government, of course.

This is funny...

Chinese Paper Takes Down Story on Great Firewall's Creator - The Atlantic
The father of the Great Firewall of China (GFW) has signed up to six virtual private networks (VPNs) that he uses to access some of the websites he had originally helped block.

"I have six VPNs on my home computer," says Fang Binxing, 50, president of the Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications. "But I only try them to test which side wins: the GFW or the VPN.

"I'm not interested in reading messy information like some of that anti-government stuff."
Yeah...Sure...And I have the title to the Brooklyn Bridge. Am willing to sell for cheap. :lol:

Well i agree with you on the protectionist part, since it has enable China to create its own internet eco system which is now almost as big as that of the U.S, thus helping create a new industry/growth for China as we can see with Chinese internet giants like Aliababa, Tencent, Baidu, Netease etc. which no other country has apart from the U.S to such scale. So today its surprising to see there is a U.S internet and China internet system in the world today. Thats good for you people i guess.

However, now that Chinese internet companies totally dominate their local market and now even going abroad to compete with U.S ones, why doesnt China open its market now to U.S internet companies/social medias?:D Dont tell me Chinese companies are still not strong enough to compete with the U.S in China?:cheesy: So thats not an excuse anymore, so why is your government still restricting U.S internet giants from operating in China? Think they are scared of instability this might create, isn't it?:D:P;)

ban or not ban we can use them anyway, the domestic social network sits and apps are quite mature and solid now, so its time to let the competition in, but i dont think they will be any success

You guys need to submit your IDs for using Chinese social media services, how will you impose that rule on facebook & twitter?

Back
Top Bottom