What's new

China invites India’s ‘missile man’ Kalam to teach at Peking varsity

Vibs

Reaction score
Beijing: China has invited India’s “missile man” and former President Dr APJ Abdul Kalam to teach at the prestigious Peking University here, offering him a lab of his choice to work with the students.

On his first-ever visit to China at the invitation of the reputed Beijing Forum, a Chinese government backed intellectual body, Kalam appeared happy to receive the offer to teach but said it all depends on his schedule.

Asked whether he would be visiting Beijing often to teach, 82-year-old Kalam told PTI, “I am a teacher. I teach in the US and as a Professor wherever the knowledge takes me I go and share it. Particularly, I like meeting young people and I would like to contribute to their knowledge.”

PTI
The invitation to teach at the Peking University was extended to Kalam by its Chairman Zhu Shanlu when he met the former Indian president last night.

He was invited to teach once a year, the subject of his choice and stay as long as he want. The subject could be science and technology or humanities, Kalam’s secretary H Sheridon said, adding that the offer included setting up Laboratory of Kalam’s choice.

Kalam began his career as an Aerospace engineer and later became India’s top guided missile scientist heading the DRDO, which recently has come up with 5,000 km Agni V missile which brought a number of Chinese cities within its range.

Significantly, China has organsied a special visit for Kalam to Chinese academy of aerospace technology today altering its earlier plans to take him on tour of its top aeronautical plant which manufacture its fighter planes.

Kalam himself said he is interested in teaching sustainable development and praised Peking University’s recent move to open ethics department which he said is a “beautiful idea”.

He is scheduled to formally address students of Peking University tomorrow and interact with the Chinese and Indian professionals at the Indian Embassy here.

PTI
China invites India’s ‘missile man’ Kalam to teach at Peking varsity | Firstpost

prestigious Peking University? :cheesy: u must be kidding.
The Chinese wanna steal Indian technology?

Several years ago when I visited Shanghai I got to know an Indian scholar working for a renowned news paper in China. He's later a good friend of mine.

Peking University is indeed a prestigious university. That's also known to world, let me tell this (banned again?)Korean.

Academic Visitor,everyyear tens thousands academics come and work for 1 or 2 years and the same number go abroad universities work for 1 years or half a year every year, nothing news;
and Doctors or students of university go abroad or international students come to China for study one year, normal thing

Academic Visitor,everyyear tens thousands academics come and work for 1 or 2 years and the same number go abroad universities work for 1 years or half a year every year, nothing news;
and Doctors or students of university go abroad or international students come to China for study one year, normal thing

It's actually a honor that China is conferring on Mr.Kalam - don't equate him to others - China is willing to set up Labs as per his requirements - that speaks a lot of the amount of high regards that Univ holds for Mr.Kalam.

Peking University is indeed prestigious.

Great, I guess, Kalam will take up the offer. He is basically a teacher and will say no to teaching

Kalam is not normal. He is former president of India.

So many Indian scientists in USA, why they cant work in somewhere else ? This is just a job, nothing more.

Good. Now we know the weaknesses of indian missiles and we can adapt our defenses.

Dude,
This guy was our president and not some stupid politician. You expect him to give you people any "special" info?
He will teach and inspire people,but not compromise our national security

The Chinese wanna steal Indian technology?

Shut the f up.
Peking university is indeed prestigious and its an honour. Hatsoff to china

Kalam: like China, India too going nuclear way

3TH_KALAM_1256743g.jpg

Just as China has moved towards ending its ban on new nuclear projects after the Fukushima disaster by giving the go-ahead for constructing power plants, the former President, A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, said in Beijing on Friday that India “had also come to the conclusion” that nuclear power would have to play a key role in achieving energy independence.

While Japan and some countries in the West, such as Germany, have moved away from nuclear energy in the wake of Fukushima, the Chinese government on October 25 signalled its intent to push forward its ambitious plans for the nuclear sector, albeit at a slower pace, after undertaking an extensive safety review.

Asked about China’s plans to go forward with nuclear energy, Dr. Kalam, who is in Beijing to attend a conference, told The Hindu in an interview that India was also of a similar view. “India has also come to the conclusion,” he said. “We have got to generate 20,000 MW by 2020, so definitely India is going ahead. There is no doubt about it.”

‘We have to shape ideas’

“Of course in a democratic nation,” he said, “some views will come out.. [But] we have to shape ideas.”

China, which is operating 16 nuclear power reactors and has 26 more under construction, on October 25 approved a Nuclear Power Safety Plan from 2011-2020, after a longer than expected safety review was initiated in March.

A Cabinet meeting decided China “will return to normal nuclear power construction by maintaining a rational construction pace,” indicating it would slow down its expansion plans.

The government said it would not construct any nuclear projects in inland areas — some of the 26 projects already approved are in the interior — and would only build plants in coastal areas.

To address safety fears, the government said it would also spend 80 billion yuan (Rs. 68,800 crore) by 2015 to upgrade security standards and phase out older reactors.

Dr. Kalam said the experiences of other countries — whether the bullishness in China or the wariness in Japan and Europe — did not ultimately matter as far as India was concerned.

“We have to think about what is right for India,” he said, “and India should go for energy independence.”

Offer to teach

Dr. Kalam was welcomed warmly on his first visit to Beijing, where he addressed a conference on Friday.

Peking University’s Council Chairman Zhu Shanlu, who met with the former president, extended an invitation to Dr. Kalam to deliver annual lectures at the university and conduct research here.

“They said you must teach here, and can come here and do research,” he said. “I love to teach youth wherever they are, I teach in the U.S., I teach in India. It is a unique place because this is the place where we have to build bridges.”

Scientists at the China Academy of Space Technology told Dr. Kalam they wanted to work with India and the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) on their space missions and set up a formal initiative.

Dr. Kalam on Friday suggested setting up a World Knowledge Platform for Global Action that would invest $4 billion to bring together universities, governments and entrepreneurs to take forward joint initiatives on sustainable development, energy independence and the environment.

“The youth and the intellectuals and the academy here, and even in the political field, can see there is a necessity to work together [with India],” he said, suggesting India could leverage China’s core competencies in manufacturing while India could offer its know-how in IT and the services.

“We [India and China] had a bad experience historically, the question is what do we do now,” he said. “If you look at Europe, they fought for 100 years and one day they all joined together. We have to make up our mind. Defence is of course very important for every country,” he added, “but we are talking about 37 per cent of the world’s population, and that is a great opportunity.”

http://www.thehindu.com/news/intern...ndia-too-going-nuclear-way/article4059277.ece

Kalam is a good guy, humble, qualified, successful, steers away from controversies, loved by his countrymen and respected by others, inspirational, spiritual...

The post of president was honored to have him.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom