What's new

china cityPICTRUEBoom

Great pics, and the best part is no doubt my hometown - Chengdu, which also happens to be the birth places of JF-17/FC-1 and J-10. Truly proud of my city and country!:china:

Very nice pictures, I am sure with the Olympics, the world could see how China is modernised.

Thanks for the info gpit.

You're welcome.

-----

I'm thinking of travelling to the West of China, such as XinJiang and/or Tibet. Is 2008 a good time? Will it be too crowded? Will it be a lot more expensive?:tongue:

Hope Chinese forumers living in China can provide some hints.

I visited both places.

trip to Tibet: usually 15days schedule there.

Best time: Sep.-Oct. , Sep. for photography, coz during October there's only a blue sky without any cloud, and snowstorm comes in late Oct.

more pics and here

One way Air ticket: Guangzhou-Lahsa ¥2500, Beijing-Lahsa ¥2430 usually 20-30% off discount. (¥738=us$100)

Jeep rent: ¥1000 per day with local driver, usually Toyota 4500 or Parado, pretty nice for mountain road. in 2004 a round way drive between Lahsa and the Mont. Everest cost me ¥6000.

Traffic inside Tibet:
there're 2 airports, Lahsa and Bayi. highways are only around Lahsa. to reach beautiful places you may have to travel a whole day from one to another along mountain road .

Accommodation: 3-4 star hotels at about ¥380-800.
If you set out as a hiker, youth hostels and many distinctive inns are very popular, only ¥50-120 with bathhouse and lundary service, as mentioned by your lonely planet. nowadyas there're more and more foreigners trouring in Tibet, I even saw a group of cyclists (Canadians) camping at half way to the Mont. Everest. really tough guys.

Trip to Xinjinag:

Best time: August-September, Xinjiang is famous for its melons and fruits, and the golden harvesttime is between Aug and Sep. freeze-up comes in early November.
bde84a0688ad8b5d104bb162ff8636e0.jpg

more pics

one way air ticket: Guangzhou-Urumqi ¥2830 Beijing-Urumqi ¥2420, usually 20-50% off discount.

Accommodation in Xinjiang is like in most inland cities in China. in Urumqi it's easy to find 5 star hotels like Hiltons and Ramada.

Places to visit:
Xinjiang is such a big province that you better plan an one month schedule if you want a deep tour. otherwise, north part (Beijiang) for natural scenery or South part (Nanjiang)for historical interest are alternative options for a 15 day plan. the two parts are divided by Mont.Tianshan. Beijiang benefits a lot from the east end of the the north Atlantic warm flow, and pruduces best forests and grasslands, while Nanjiang, in lack of vapour, is covered mainly by desert and gobi, where used to settle ancient civilizations like Gaochang, and the famous Silk road.

Traffic inside Xinjiang:
Traffic in Xinjiang is much earier than in Tibet, there're at least 5 airports, and highways and national road (second only to highway) lead to almost every district. like in Tibet, the only problem that may faze you is distance between different places. Roads in Xinjiang are usually wide and straightforward, maybe 60km without steering, for which there is a drivers' joke that you need only a block pinning on the accelerator. but now the designers already know their fault.

there are some festivals in August and September to attend,like Grape Fest. in Turpan,August and Folk musical festival in September. people are very friendly.

china will be more thriving and prosperous 。。。 to be continued

Back
Top Bottom