China changing its J&K policy?

Choppers

Reaction score
Country
India

NEW DELHI, November 23, 2010

The country has issued a stamped visa for a Kashmiri singer

China appears to be finally responding to India’s concerns over the issuance of stapled visas to people of Jammu and Kashmir, a matter taken up recently by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh with his Chinese counterpart Wen Jiabao.

In a move indicative of shift in Chinese policy on Jammu and Kashmir, Tanya Gupta, a singer from the state has been issued a stamped visa, instead of a stapled one, to travel to perform at the closing ceremony of the ongoing Asian Games in Guangzhou on November 27.

The Chinese have been issuing visa on a separate sheet, stapled to the passports of residents of Jammu and Kashmir for more than an year, thereby questioning State’s status as the integral part of India.

When contacted, Chinese embassy officials here said, “it might be an indication of a shift in visa policy of China for the Jammu and Kashmir residents.”

The officials were also quick to mention that the issue was once again expected to be raised by India during Mr. Wen’s visit here next month.

“Though it is for two sides to come to terms with the matter. But the development might be an indication of a shift in policy,” they said.

However, they said Ms. Gupta was invited by the Organising Committee of the Asian Games and was issued a photo pass to travel to China.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh stressed the need for India and China to show sensitivity to each other’s core issues while meeting Mr. Wen in Hanoi last month on the margins of ASEAN summit.

Though National Security Adviser Shivshanker Menon did not spell these core issues while briefing the press in Hanoi, it is clear that the border dispute and policy shift of China on Kashmir are crucial for India and Tibet is a core concern for China.

Beijing also appears not to be much bothered about a prestigious Indian University Jamia Millia Islamia conferring an honorary doctorate on Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama, with officials maintaining that “it is an academic decision and not a government decision.”

With the Chinese premier scheduled to visit India on December 16, the move to honour the Dalai Lama is seen as a signal by New Delhi that it will be less sensitive to Beijing’s concerns if its own concerns are not addressed.

The Hindu : News / National : China changing its J&K policy?

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, it could be simply cuz of the Asian Games since they wouldn't want any negative press right now.
Hoping that I'm wrong and that stamped visas continue after the games as well

Last edited:
U can say tht by just issuing a stamped visa rather than stapled visa China has altogether changed its policy on Jammu and Kashmir .Might be little relaxation to to indians to get their work done .

Nothing to be confirmed unless it comes from official media of China..

All these "if" , "seems" , "looks like" talk are rubbish.

I'm waiting for china to step up to its roles as a " global ambassador" . Especially given N Korea's attack on the S Korean island earlier today. It high time for china , which I consider a super power now, to act on the global theater as a responsible player.

This constant alliance with rogue nations, keeping mum on international security concerns, does not make it look as a global partner- rather just a rich nation that holds no respect from the rest of the developed world.

NEW DELHI, November 23, 2010

The country has issued a stamped visa for a Kashmiri singer

China appears to be finally responding to India’s concerns over the issuance of stapled visas to people of Jammu and Kashmir, a matter taken up recently by Prime Minister Manmohan Singh with his Chinese counterpart Wen Jiabao.

In a move indicative of shift in Chinese policy on Jammu and Kashmir, Tanya Gupta, a singer from the state has been issued a stamped visa, instead of a stapled one, to travel to perform at the closing ceremony of the ongoing Asian Games in Guangzhou on November 27.

The Chinese have been issuing visa on a separate sheet, stapled to the passports of residents of Jammu and Kashmir for more than an year, thereby questioning State’s status as the integral part of India.

When contacted, Chinese embassy officials here said, “it might be an indication of a shift in visa policy of China for the Jammu and Kashmir residents.”

The officials were also quick to mention that the issue was once again expected to be raised by India during Mr. Wen’s visit here next month.

“Though it is for two sides to come to terms with the matter. But the development might be an indication of a shift in policy,” they said.

However, they said Ms. Gupta was invited by the Organising Committee of the Asian Games and was issued a photo pass to travel to China.

Prime Minister Manmohan Singh stressed the need for India and China to show sensitivity to each other’s core issues while meeting Mr. Wen in Hanoi last month on the margins of ASEAN summit.

Though National Security Adviser Shivshanker Menon did not spell these core issues while briefing the press in Hanoi, it is clear that the border dispute and policy shift of China on Kashmir are crucial for India and Tibet is a core concern for China.

Beijing also appears not to be much bothered about a prestigious Indian University Jamia Millia Islamia conferring an honorary doctorate on Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama, with officials maintaining that “it is an academic decision and not a government decision.”

With the Chinese premier scheduled to visit India on December 16, the move to honour the Dalai Lama is seen as a signal by New Delhi that it will be less sensitive to Beijing’s concerns if its own concerns are not addressed.

The Hindu : News / National : China changing its J&K policy?

In past china have given stamped visas only but the "staple visa" thing was its new tactics to test the water.

We should not be swept away by these gestures they are building dam on Brahmaputra river and deploying troops in occupied kashmir with pakistan.

We must built our deterance credible both in conventional and startegic warfare.

May be an effect of Nov 6...:what:
OR
Kashmir took off UN disputed List..:what:

Let's not take premature decision..
Just wait and watch

too early to come to any conclusion...just one person has been given stamped visa, and that too when she was to participate in Asian games..we should wait...if not for the official statement from China, then atleast till the time the other locals from j&k going to China get tamped Visa.

Foreign policy is no longer dictated by Military might. It is the economic might which plays an important role. Bilateral trade between india and china is growing by the day, it dosn't want to jeopardize the economic relation. Recently concluded reliance deal with the chinese's firm shows the growing economic partnership.

"Reliance-Power gives China firm ( Shanghai Electric ) $10 bn order to supply equipment sufficient to generate 30000MW"

It's too early to say anything, may be she got stamped visa cause chiness want her to perform there and they know if they won't provide stamped visa then india will not allow her to leave the country with "stapeled" visa.(as per indian policy no one will be allowed to go abroad with stapeled visa)

Foreign policy is no longer dictated by Military might. It is the economic might which plays an important role. Bilateral trade between india and china is growing by the day, it dosn't want to jeopardize the economic relation. Recently concluded reliance deal with the chinese's firm shows the growing economic partnership.

"Reliance-Power gives China firm ( Shanghai Electric ) $10 bn order to supply equipment sufficient to generate 30000MW"

Reliance always go for cheapest and don't care about quality of country. If you know the facts they in the past have already gave billion dollar orders to chinese be it power plants, engineering, mobile handsets, trains etc. etc.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed, it could be simply cuz of the Asian Games since they wouldn't want any negative press right now.
Hoping that I'm wrong and that stapled visas continue after the games as well

I'm sure you mean stamped and by all indications, China doesn't flip flop too much on international matters. If the decision has been made, it is likely to stay.

I'm waiting for china to step up to its roles as a " global ambassador" . Especially given N Korea's attack on the S Korean island earlier today. It high time for china , which I consider a super power now, to act on the global theater as a responsible player.

This constant alliance with rogue nations, keeping mum on international security concerns, does not make it look as a global partner- rather just a rich nation that holds no respect from the rest of the developed world.

China has always been concerned with its own affairs first and foremost and this means not acting internationally unless there is Chinese interests involved. Sorry but that's the way it looks to stay. Besides if China was to get more active internationally, there would be a set of new complaints against it.

In past china have given stamped visas only but the "staple visa" thing was its new tactics to test the water.

We should not be swept away by these gestures they are building dam on Brahmaputra river and deploying troops in occupied kashmir with pakistan.

We must built our deterance credible both in conventional and startegic warfare.

I think you mean China is building dams on the Yarlung Tsangpo. The majority of that river is on the Chinese side of the border, and so is its watershed. This means the water that flows from there comes from China's land. Also this is a part of a much larger dam building project and not at all aimed at India.

May be an effect of Nov 6...:what:
OR
Kashmir took off UN disputed List..:what:

Let's not take premature decision..
Just wait and watch

This maybe the reason for changing China's visa policy and there is also a summit to resolve the border issue coming up in a few days. It might be a confidence building exercise by China's side.

Just wait till Chinese president visit ;)

Correction Chinese Prime Minister. He's the one that makes the majority of the state visits abroad.

It's too early to say anything, may be she got stamped visa cause chiness want her to perform there and they know if they won't provide stamped visa then india will not allow her to leave the country with "stapeled" visa.(as per indian policy no one will be allowed to go abroad with stapeled visa)

No offence to Ms. Gupta but there is little chance that China would base a major foreign policy decision on a popstar's visit.

Reliance always go for cheapest and don't care about quality of country. If you know the facts they in the past have already gave billion dollar orders to chinese be it power plants, engineering, mobile handsets, trains etc. etc.

Don't be daft. The deal was for coal powered generation, a sector that China leads in. GE (the other contractor) has little experience in it.

Last edited:
I'm sure you mean stamped and by all indications, China doesn't flip flop too much on international matters. If the decision has been made, it is likely to stay.

If thats the case then what will be the reason to provide stamped visa to this lady?

No offence to Ms. Gupta but there is little chance that China would base a major foreign policy decision on a popstar's visit.

Then what you think would be the reason for giving stamped visa to her?

whats your take on this news?

If thats the case then what will be the reason to provide stamped visa to this lady?

I think you misread my comment. If the news is true and once China has switched to stamping visas, it will not switch back to stapled.

Then what you think would be the reason for giving stamped visa to her?

Like I said this is likely a gesture of good will towards India, ahead of the restarted talks on resolving the border dispute (in a few days) and Prime minister Wen's visit (in mid December).

whats your take on this news?

I'm all for it. China and India are already major trading partners. It is ridiculous be mistrustful of each other and let a potentially dangerous border dispute simmer.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom