What's new

China-Bangladesh relationship

Well, I was trying to get a better understanding from a Bangladeshi point of view. Some people are sensitive in basing foreign troops on their home soil. There are many reasons like pride and sovereignty issues.

Iranians are ones that fits this description. They would not allow any foreign troops based on their soil even if it is in the interests of Iran.

Black Stone, don't you think the issue here is more than that of just sensitivity?
while I respect Bangladesh's right to make its own decisions, one such as this would surely irritate India and in turn might spell trouble (in one way or the other) for BD. With this in mind, in your opinion, do you think it would be a good idea for BD to allow anything of this sort on their soil?

I do not think Indian sensitivity has any relevance to Bangladesh when it comes to our own national interests. Chinese troops in Bangladesh will not be controversial to most of the people and may be considered a welcome partnership. It is time Bangladesh ignored the Indian angle. Bangladesh is an independent country and must not be dictated to by India. China provides a convenient outlet which must be utilized for our own national interest regardless of what India may think.

I'm not so sure about the 'no relevance' part. I think there is a good reason why Bangladesh doesn't ignore the 'Indian Angle', fact is Munshi that we are neighbors, and just happen to be militarily superior.

If you look at things from an objective angle, the only one that matters in the real world, it makes no sense for Bangladesh to get on India's bad side, it's completely unnecessary. trading and cooperation is one thing but militarily bases for a nation that our military build up is geared towards would simply put Bangladesh in the cross heirs. What benefit could that bring to the people of Bangladesh?
Bangladesh and India have had a more or less friendly relationship, nothing like our western neighbor, wouldn't it make more sense then to just play both sides? The Chinese have good reasons to invest in you, we have a good reason to make sure you remain friendly or even neutral. Why then besides some subjective or emotional logic would you want to adopt a stance that would only add to your list of worries?

I do not think Indian sensitivity has any relevance to Bangladesh when it comes to our own national interests. Chinese troops in Bangladesh will not be controversial to most of the people and may be considered a welcome partnership. It is time Bangladesh ignored the Indian angle. Bangladesh is an independent country and must not be dictated to by India. China provides a convenient outlet which must be utilized for our own national interest regardless of what India may think.

Thats what Pakistan thought when they supported America for War on terror and we know what kind of mess Pakistan in (they thought by supporting America they will have access to military hardware to counter India).
Instead of waiting for China, America, Russia to stabilize south Asia by stationing their troops, we should resolve our disputes and avoid exploitation at the hands of bigger power. Remember no country in this world supports others just for love and affection, they will support for strategic reasons and dump you when their goal is achieved.

Bangladesh and India have had a more or less friendly relationship, nothing like our western neighbor, wouldn't it make more sense then to just play both sides?

I think this is an entirely Indian perception. Bangladeshis view of India tends to be wholly negative principally because of the interference we have to face and the constant propaganda assaults against us. The relationship is one sided with a stronger India extorting benefits from Bangladesh with nothing offered in return. The present government made many concessions to India but received absolutely nothing from New Delhi on any of our demands. There is no point in Bangladesh continuing with this charade. If India takes offense at our tilting to China or any other country let them do what they want. It is time Bangladesh stood up to Indian bullying.

I think this is an entirely Indian perception. Bangladeshis view of India tends to be wholly negative principally because of the interference we have to face and the constant propaganda assaults against us. The relationship is one sided with a stronger India extorting benefits from Bangladesh with nothing offered in return. The present government made many concessions to India but received absolutely nothing from New Delhi on any of our demands. There is no point in Bangladesh continuing with this charade. If India takes offense at our tilting to China or any other country let them do what they want. It is time Bangladesh stood up to Indian bullying.

Kindly provide me a cases where India is bullying Bangladesh, so it will help to clear the air.

Black Stone, don't you think the issue here is more than that of just sensitivity?
while I respect Bangladesh's right to make its own decisions, one such as this would surely irritate India and in turn might spell trouble (in one way or the other) for BD. With this in mind, in your opinion, do you think it would be a good idea for BD to allow anything of this sort on their soil?

This depends on where you want to stand and under what background. If I was die-hard Bangladeshi patriot and I cannot tolerate any foreign forces on my country, then I would say NO WAY and slam the door to the Chinese, end of story.

If I am a Bangladeshi patriot who puts the country's interests above other things. Then I would consider the deal with the Chinese. Bangladeshi leaders knows exactly what the costs and benefits are for hosting a Chinese naval base. Bangladesh was not born yesterday or started the political game last night.

The question now would be for the Bangladeshi leaders to calculate the costs and benefits, both long term and short term. So the final questions for them would be...Is it worth it? does the benefits outweigh the costs? Is Bangladesh prepared to engage the consequences that comes with this deal?.

All these questions must be well thought off by the Bangladeshi think-tanks. If they think it's worth it, then proceed. If not, then forget it.

The deal is there, the ball is in Bangladeshi's court. How they play it is their decision and choice.

Munshi, I think I am beginning to understand the reasons for Bangladesh' fast slide towards becoming a failed state.

Its people like you! You have no idea of the kind of problems you are creating for your country, not just with your corruption (remember the cookie jar) but with your corrupted thoughts too.

I read this article a while ago about why the Chinese feel (or at least used to) a deep sense of humiliation and insecurity after the Japanese attacked and occupied their land. The primary reason for their hatred of the Japanese stemmed simply from envy, the fact that another 'Asian' (the way the Americans define it) country managed to become an industrial and military powerhouse that was at par with the west. A country which then humiliated the Chinese on their own turf. It is this sense of national humiliation, the article reasoned, that the Chinese have diverted to productive ends which has led to their rapid rise. Ridiculous? maybe...but the editors of Time Magazine didn't think so...

could similar reasoning then be applied in India's case, where for all our faults the world for some unfathomable reason seems to be acknowledging and encouraging our slow rise. Could this explain why all of India's neighbors are so hostile? of course I'm not suggesting India is an angel, but could this also have something to do with it?

I don't see why not, competition is what has driven our race (mankind) to our current levels of development. Your reply Munshi seems pretty subjective still. With the way the world works today nothing is fair, it never has been to tell you the truth, so it makes sense to fight for one's right, but, let's take the current topic as an example, your reply like I've said seems like its coming from the heart instead of the mind, you're letting your ego get the best of you, why would a country with a relatively weak military but strategically useful position such as Bangladesh not want to play both sides?

Why make an enemy out of your neighbor? because you think he makes fun of you or bullies you? well wouldn't making an enemy out of that guy make all of that even more apparent? why not blackmail instead and get concessions from both sides? why choose outright hostility? Bangladesh would be better off cooperating with us than letting the Chinese use their soil for an attack on India, because if that were to happen you've cleverly dragged yourself into someone else's war.

Foreign military personnel don't seem to bother you, but Indian propaganda cannot be tolerated? this kind of logic can only come from some deep seated emotional logic and nothing else.

i think what BD needs now from china is "GREAT WALL OF CHINA" no not kidding. the global warming issue is very serious and BD is a front line for impact. in return BD should offer military base to encircle india;)

i think what BD needs now from china is "GREAT WALL OF CHINA" no not kidding. the global warming issue is very serious and BD is a front line for impact. in return BD should offer military base to encircle india;)

You don't like India very much do you?. :)

May be explode one or two too, right there in your neighborhood. Accidents do happen after all. :cheesy:

Won't be a big loss to the world, isn't it! ;)

Oh give us a break, Bangladeeshis !!

First get your goddamn people out of our country. Hopefully they can become porters and labourers in China rather in our country! I am sick to death of Bangladeshis squatting in our countries and spreading terrorism ( wrongly blamed on Indian muslims)

First take your ***** out of our country and then have a good relationship with China . ( You know you are not needed in India!!!) :bounce:

price of interfering in others matters and creatng banghladesh:angel:

Back
Top Bottom