What's new

China Answers Japan Oil Rig Concern With Joint-Development Offer

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
(Bloomberg) -- China repeated a call Friday for talks with Japan over joint development of gas and oil resources in contested waters in the East China Sea.

The offer comes days after Japan disclosed a map and photographs of what it said were 16 Chinese marine platforms close to Japan’s side of a geographical median line that it contends should mark the border between their exclusive economic zones. Japan has yet to respond to China’s latest call.

China said it was justified to conduct oil and gas exploration in its exclusive economic zone, the Foreign Ministry said on its website, claiming it has been developing the same areas since the 1970s and Japan has only raised objections in recent years. Japan has long expressed concern that the rigs could siphon gas out of undersea structures that extend to its own side.

Relations between Asia’s two largest economies are thawing, even as they are locked in a dispute over ownership of a group of uninhabited islands. Japan’s lower house of parliament last week passed security bills to extend the role of Japan’s military to allow it to defend other countries -- a move China said risked unsettling regional security.

The squabble over the images could be a setback for warming ties, said Da Zhigang, director of the Institute of Northeast Asian Studies at the Academy of Social Sciences in Heilongjiang province.

“Both sides need to give ground on this territorial issue,” Da said. “But apparently neither of the two governments wants to be seen conceding anything to their domestic supporters.”

That is Encouraging for East Asia. I think Chinese, Japanese and Koreans should Start Collaborating with each other as they share the region for Centuries and they would keep sharing it in the future so they have to Start at some point.

I am for Joint Development. Its good to see the Chinese side come to their senses and see the error in unilateralist actions. It doesn't create an environment conducive for cooperation.

In return for kicking out US forces and influence, fine. See, China isn't a imperialist country that just wants it all. It just doesn't want the enemy stationed a couple hundred miles from it's borders. Just like the US wouldn't accept huge Chinese military bases in Cuba or Mexico.

In return for kicking out US forces and influence, fine. See, China isn't a imperialist country that just wants it all. It just doesn't want the enemy stationed a couple hundred miles from it's borders. Just like the US wouldn't accept huge Chinese military bases in Cuba or Mexico.

LOL, let our diplomats take care of this. As from JCG reports, the Chinese MA activity have abated, their ships have left Senkaku Shotto.

In other words, our friends in Beijing were unnerved, I guess, due to Japan's recent participation with The Philippines.

Diplomacy, isn't it just so...interesting, curious. ;)

LOL, let our diplomats take care of this. As from JCG reports, the Chinese MA activity have abated, their ships have left Senkaku Shotto.

In other words, our friends in Beijing were unnerved, I guess, due to Japan's recent participation with The Philippines.

I don't know how your diplomats can 'take care of this' when the US can impose regime change on you. I don't mean regime in the bad word, I just mean they kicked out one of your prime ministers not long ago etc. Let's see how long a Japanese prime minister can survive if he pledges to kick the US out of Okinawa for example.

I don't know how your diplomats can 'take care of this' when the US can impose regime change on you. I don't mean regime in the bad word, I just mean they kicked out one of your prime ministers not long ago etc. Let's see how long a Japanese prime minister can survive if he pledges to kick the US out of Okinawa for example.

Abe will stay in power for the indefinite period; as we speak the LDP commands majority of both the Japanese House of Councillors (upper house) and the Japanese House of Representatives (lower house) in the National Diet. In other words, he has a consolidated power base. The DPJ and others are practical minority parties now. :)

The Americans have actually been crucial in the LDP domination of the Diet, and it was the Americans who have considered the concept of 'base' redistribution. Japan is more than happy to accommodate this strategic paradigm shift.

I am for Joint Development. Its good to see the Chinese side come to their senses and see the error in unilateralist actions. It doesn't create an environment conducive for cooperation.
China offering to conduct joint development is not new. The first sentence mentioned "repeated".
It was Japan that rejected joint development in the first place.

Nope, Abe is good man. I even doubt he is a latent member of CCP, because what he did mostly seem to be greatly helpful to China.;)

上甲板に整列し、海保の練習船「こじま」に帽振れをする「いかづち」乗員ら

熱い中お疲れさまです。これからの厳しい情勢の中大変でしょうが頑張って下さい。
UW旗いいですね。Z旗は、揚げないのですか?

:D:D

10986672_943223192406066_5184918338239065480_n.jpg

11813283_943223189072733_2871670086217751273_n.jpg

11825118_943223185739400_189178258533810516_n.jpg

11825119_943223199072732_8198571244165590013_n.jpg

旧海軍軍艦由来の由緒ある名前の練習船こじま、ですね!

こじま。いかづち。

:lol::lol::lol::D:bunny:

11793334_1650253601855556_1158796996_n.jpg

Good to see China being the more mature country.

It's the other way around. China moved the rigs there after your overtures to the Philippines. The latter would not even be able to take Taiping Island from Taiwan, much less move on PRC-held positions. Gas exploration is the same lever that has brought Japan back to the table every time.

completely naive.

11825641_943890389006013_3898022838243894052_n.jpg

横付けする「むらさめ」を見守る1護隊司令 中筋1佐、「いかづち」砲雷長 新保3佐、「いかづち」艦長 外園2佐

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom