What's new

China and Pakistan pledge to expand navy shipbuilding collaboration

Gryphon

Reaction score
Jon Grevatt, Asia-Pacific Reporter, Bangkok - IHS Jane's Defence Industry

27 March 2014

China and Pakistan have outlined an intention to expand collaboration in naval shipbuilding, with the pledge potentially supporting Islamabad's expected order of Chinese submarines.

On 27 March, the Pakistan government said in a statement that Minister for Defence Production Rana Tanveer Hussain was currently on a week-long visit to China to discuss joint naval projects with China State Shipbuilding Corporation (CSSC) and China Shipbuilding industry Corporation (CSIC).

The statement said Hussain and the Chinese shipbuilders were considering "joint venture opportunities" and that China had demonstrated "great interest in the [projects] and assured all kinds of assistance".

The statement did not elaborate on the projects under consideration.

(106 of 288 words)

China and Pakistan pledge to expand navy shipbuilding collaboration - IHS Jane's 360

I know this is a silly question, but how credible is Janes?
Also, is this one of those memos or something is actually on this time, but still even if it isn't we are still getting two shipyards, at least after 10 years or so.

Also, is this one of those memos or something is actually on this time, but still even if it isn't we are still getting two shipyards, at least after 10 years or so.
Jane is a credible source of news among the professionals.I used to read it in 80s and 90s after my boss(a BG) has gone through it.

Quite credible, and also quite honest.

-----

The PN's role is (in my humble and uninformed opinion) set to expand in the coming years. With Pakistan placing it's bets on Gwadar port, the PN's role of protecting the port and cargo routes are going to become vital for Pakistan's economic future. I also predict that we'll soon see the PN's budget increase for better future acquisitions.

Arguably the most credible on the web.

This stuff about China Pakistan Defence deals are " Music to my Ears ".

Like they say in Texas " It don't get better than this, Boy ".

Good news. Navy really needs this.
@Nishan101 suggest some JVs for our navy with China :D

China was always willing to help, we could get in JV's with other countries like Turkey as well

Lack of funds was the problem

Good news if true, we need a much stronger navy able to hold its own

I'm not worried about Pakistan militarily per say, but economically you guys need to do better.

To be frank modern warfare is all about the cash.

Anti missile missile cost 20 mil a pop on a ship, the rest are still 1-10 mil. New ships are expensive. Even Frigates are crazy expensive these days.

Not to mention you need a powerful officer corp, and that comes from education and once again economy.

Pakistan needs to be "brave," make a quarter rich first, then reach for the rest. Don't need to be a specific group, just make regulations survival of the fittest, and let it sort it out themselves.

Back
Top Bottom