Thomas

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Children taught to be suicide bombers
By Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy, Special to CNN
June 15, 2010 8:29 a.m. EDT
Children taught to be suicide bombers - CNN.com

(CNN)
-- The Taliban are running suicide schools inside Pakistan, preparing a generation of boys for atrocities against civilians.

In my documentary on the subject, "Children of the Taliban," I came across the cases of many young men who were committed to giving up their lives for what they believed to be the glory of Islam. Fifteen-year-old Zainullah blew himself up, killing six people. Another boy, Sadiq, killed 22 and Masood killed 28.

Since more than 60 percent of the population of Pakistan is under age 25, it seems there will always be a steady supply of recruits waiting to create havoc in the country.

The Tehreek-i-Taliban and the various extremist organizations that have been allowed to fester across the country have now joined hands, increasing the reach of their network, sharing recruits, plans, training centers, materials and safe houses.

It was only a matter of time before this would happen, since the Pakistani government's flawed policy of fighting "Bad Taliban" --those who carry out attacks inside Pakistan -- and turning a blind eye to "Good Taliban" -- those who carry out attacks outside Pakistan -- was bound to come back and haunt them and it has.

Find out more about Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy

Since 2003, the number of suicide bombings has grown exponentially across Pakistan. In 2009, 78 attacks occurred across the country; this year more than 29 attacks have taken place. The Tehreek-i-Taliban is boasting that they have an army of suicide bombers waiting in the ranks to carry out more attacks at their command -- and I believe them.

This is no ragtag army fighting in the mountains of Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa, until recently called the Northwest Frontier Province. These people have a vision, are well trained and their recruitment process is tried and tested.

In urban centers, the Taliban recruit from two fronts, Islamic madrassas and low-income neighborhoods. They have a network of sympathizers who run radical Islamic schools, providing free education to the very poor. Typically, older Taliban fighters or recruiters spend an evening at one of these schools, glorifying the front lines, showing students videos of their heroics, and talking to them about paradise and the afterlife.

The students they address have already been primed by years of brainwashing; they have no access to entertainment, sports, books or even their family. The madrassa is the only home they know, they are often beaten by their teachers, told to study the Koran for hours at a stretch in Arabic, a language alien to them. They are frustrated and suddenly, they are provided with an opportunity to give their life up in the name of Islam and earn glory.

They are promised lakes of milk and honey and virgins in the afterlife. The young boys I speak with say to me: Why would I want to live in this world -- where they rely on charity, dry pieces of bread and water, where they are subjected to harsh treatment, when they can be free and be the envy of their colleagues in the afterlife. They are only too eager to sign on the dotted line and join the ranks of the Taliban.

In the past few years, the Taliban have relied on other radical organizations, like Jaish-e Mohammad, Lashkar-e-Jhangvi and Harkat-ul-Mujahideen, to recruit young men from low-income neighborhoods in smaller urban centers.

These organizations have had a presence there for years; first they recruited young men to fight in Afghanistan against the Soviets, then in Kashmir against the Indian Army. The Taliban have just re-activated these lucrative networks.

Smaller urban centers tend to have high levels of unemployment and the youth have fewer outlets to expend their energy. These radical organizations lure in young men from mosques after Friday sermons, from college campuses and through local neighborhood recruiters.

The young men who show slight interest are invited to selected safe houses where trained recruiters begin brainwashing them. A young man I met in Karachi described the process to me, telling me that in the end he could not carry out the attacks, but that almost everyone he knew from his group was now working for the Taliban and their affiliates.

Once inside the safe house, the young men are provided literature, so-called proof, about the atrocities supposedly being committed by the government of Pakistan at the behest of the United States.

Then, lengthy discussions ensue about their future. Will they ever have jobs, will they be able to provide for their families in this corrupt environment? Would they not want to be part of a process that changes the country and brings accountability? They are promised money, their families are promised compensation and the radical organizations then begin the next phase -- training.

A number of young men who had gone through this ideological brainwashing period told me that training to be a bomber was their best option to get out of poverty. They said that they believe in the cause, because these people understood their needs, and provided them with opportunities, while the rest of society shunned them. Weeks of brainwashing also convinced them that they are fighting an evil and are working toward creating a just ideal Islamic society.

There is very little deterrent to suicide bombings, especially in a Third World country like Pakistan. Fighting the Taliban and the various radical organizations on the front lines is like adding a Band-Aid to a cut, it may stop the bleeding but unless you clean it with antiseptic, the germs stay and multiply.

The Pakistani government and its allies must overhaul their policies in Pakistan. They must tackle the madrassa system of education head on and they must look to provide alternate avenues and employment for the youth.

Thousands of civilians have lost their lives to terrorist attacks inside Pakistan, and thousands more will -- because, unlike the Pakistani government, which has no coherent policy to deal with the radicals, the Taliban have one to deal with Pakistan and its citizens.

Last edited by a moderator:
The worst part is she interviews Qari Abdullah and shows him the propaganda video on her iPhone and he remarks that "These are older. My boys are younger. We start teaching them at 6 or 7".

And the kid at the end of the video is not from a Taliban school, he is in a madrassa in the outskirts of Karachi. The asshole maulvi says tolerance, peace in front of the camera and when she removes the camera (mic is still connected) he says horrible things.

See the whole documentary:-

FRONTLINE/World Conflict Zones: Pakistan and Afghanistan Synopsis and Video | PBS

And before people begin the "negative propaganda" idiocracy, her documentaries have been very very objective and really enlightening as well. Remember that this documentary was shot in April 2009. The situation is different now.

Do see her documentary that was shot during the days when the Nizam e Adl deal was signed with Swat Taliban.

to be honest with you it is very scary. i visited pakistan 3-4 years ago. i was shocked to see some young boys' attitude. my uncle was even forced to chang his son's school because in that particular school some of the teachers were really assholes and preaching nasty things to the kids.

to be honest with you it is very scary. i visited pakistan 3-4 years ago. i was shocked to see some young boys' attitude. my uncle was even forced to chang his son's school because in that particular school some of the teachers were really assholes and preaching nasty things to the kids.

so pakistan is a terrorist country. we are all terrorists. dont ever come here or i'll chop your head off because im under 25
:sick:

No i didnt say that. Dont twist the words, it was only a personal experience i said. by the way, those types of schools exist in both of these countries.

We all know what you were 'trying to prove' by 'sharing' your 'personal experience' with us. whats nasty to you, is not nasty for everyone. explain what was so nasty over there before maligning any country.

All the corruption and poverty gives these Taliban @$$holes the perfect chance to get victims for their agendas!

I felt really sad after watching this, these boys could have been learning in schools to become doctors, engineers, and police officers for the benefit of Pakistan!

Last edited:
This is an old video released by the TTP and definitely does not belong to the CNN or the charming lady with unknown background. This is just one big lie.
Just looking at the compound it is difficult to say what part of the world it is! Definitely not Karachi as declared in post above.
What is apparent or worth noting in video is, the hand and his hand writing…. Features of children their dress cut and weather…. and physical shape of the body of tutor of tutor does not go along with features of children.. Which are quite different and the tutor is clearly a foreigner to the whole environment.
However, There were no such camps and suicide bombers before influx of Indian army in to Afghanistan, which introduced this doctrine in Srilanka.
Apparently, camp is being run by anti Pakistan RAW, who was allowed into Afghanistan by drug lords of northern alliance, who occupy Afghanistan and are involved in ethnic cleansing of Pashtuns, and RAW is using those kidnapped kids against Pakistan army.
It is not hard to understand, these children have no parents, they go nowhere for all their life, since their parent being killed or lost.

Where as, just by tightening the Afghan border, influx of such children are already limited, while terror war against Pakistan is not limited to suicide children.. Who is just one dimension of the whole big war?
Indian consulates on Pakistan northern borders and influx of Indian army in Afghanistan was first attack on Pakistan's sovereignty.
Media propaganda, western sanctions for being ruled by P.Musharraf followed by regime change, and series of events like, targeting Pakistan economy, by extending loans on high markups, judicial activism, corruption, shooting at Srilankan team, shooting at army officer children in mosque, targeting a general Mushtaq baig, targeting POF engineers, attempt to bomb Kamara, attempt to take out Pak nukes, attempts to instigating sectarian war, attempts to instigate civil war, cancelation of Pakistan's defence deals, and various other, diplomatic dramas from Indian govt. are all organs of the big war.
Otherwise, some very knowledgeable people not only falling for the fake video! but really started associating it with Pakistan.
Pakistan has no compelling reasons to have such camps of brain washing which are simply not enough… to run a war but some may tend or pretend to believe so.. let them be happy..
It is our fate... we have to face the devil...as in his opinion we threat him most... and we will put to waste his thousand years old, evil designs.

Well, there are many major factors contributing to the spread of this sick Taliban ideology in my country Pakistan! 1 of these major factors is the drone strikes and the amount of innocent people they kill and in return Taliban use this as another reason to justify and brainwash little boys into becoming suicide bombers!

These are my fellow Muslims and my fellow countrymen, to see them kill each other in the name of religion is very painful, and to see that American drone strikes and American policies have forced my country down this sh!ithole of a war (so called "War on Terror") adds to the grievances!

Taliban are wrong and they are a cancer both in Afghanistan and Pakistan, but American drone strikes and their arrogant way of dealing with this cancer is only helping to spread it further! I don't think a peaceful Afghanistan and prosperous Pakistan is in the agenda of America and her regional allies!

Last edited:
Education. This is what the Tribal regions need. This is how the Taliban ideology can be defeated. This is how we'll become a modern, first world country.

Just look at Jews. Why Are Jews So Powerful.

Education. This is what the Tribal regions need. This is how the Taliban ideology can be defeated. This is how we'll become a modern, first world country.

Just look at Jews. Why Are Jews So Powerful.

Not only education, but we must also destroy the Taliban's excuses and reasons for their so called "Jihad", the sooner this war ends the better for both Pakistan, Afghanistan and this entire region!

We have been trying to promote education in the Tribal regions but the Taliban would destroy the schools! The Tribals must know that Pakistan army isn't the enemy, but they see us as the enemy because we don't bring an end to the drone strikes which are only making the Tribes take sides with the Talibans!

So we admit or not but these madressas are root cause of terrorism.
If we access how much madrsass benefit the people and society, result is nearly zero.Why the madressass which are teaching Qurran make a mess in society.Everyone should think and research about that.
Majority of mullahs are not himself aware about Qurran's message and keep confusing and spreading illusions in society for sake of their own benefits.

So we admit or not but these madressas are root cause of terrorism.
If we access how much madrsass benefit the people and society, result is nearly zero.Why the madressass which are teaching Qurran make a mess in society.Everyone should think and research about that.
Majority of mullahs are not himself aware about Qurran's message and keep confusing and spreading illusions in society for sake of their own benefits.

Exactly! These people don't understand the meaning of the Quran and its Surahs and Ayats! They can read and write in Arabic but they don't understand what it says, this is a major problem!

Either we make our national language Arabic so that our population can understand the Quran or we can translate it into Urdu and Pashto! translating the Quran into another language isn't easy!

Back
Top Bottom