What's new

Chief of the Army Staff | General Qamar Javed Bajwa's Desk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RAWALPINDI: This reporter has received a mail from a civil servant – Hamid Raza Wattoo — who recalled his days of military attachment for a probationary officer training at the Civil Service Academy and his experience of working with the then CO, Lt Col Bajwa. I am sharing this mail purely for the interest of readers.

“Military attachment for a probationary officer training at the CSA often comes as a welcome break from the hectic and somewhat monotonous routines of life at CSA.

“When I had mine in March 2001, a small cantt built on the outskirts of beautiful town of Thal in KP hosted me for three memorable weeks of training, fun and comeraderie I experienced from a collection of men and officers manning what I found as a truly well-oiled machine and a disciplined force.

“The many shooting drills, long routes, morning PT, sports activities, reconnaissance drives, tea bar gossips I partook in were a mixed bag of fun and fatigue. However, one routine I was saddled with on day one was to present myself to the CO of the unit in his office every morning. The CO loved to talk and talked so well that sometimes I felt why he was in the Army and why not heading some think-tank. He found a willing listener in me and as the days wore on, these morning talks which quite often turned into heated exchanges on topics of all hues, became the most lively routine for me.”

“The man truly impressed me with his knowledge and understanding of complex national, regional and global issues. His reach of mind and grasp of language was equally amazing.

“However what I found quite astounding – given those were heydays of Musharraf era – was his disdain of martial laws and military intervention in civilian matters. He was loath to his men going around and inspecting electricity meters to check power pilferages, an exercise in full swing those days.

“We are made for barracks and battlefields,” he used to say! “My three-week sojourn in the Thal Cantt quickly ended and I returned to CSA. Time passed and the memory of those men of steel I found in Captain Ziaul Haq Tipu, Captain Shahnawaz Jamali, Captain Imran, Major Aftab and other in the military barracks of that hill town of Thal, also faded but not the impression of those inspiring talks I had with the CO of that Unit.

Today 16 years later I find myself feeling a sudden surge, almost reaching a paroxysm of emotions to discover that CO right in our midst – out from that small Unit into our news studios and gossip rooms. Yes, yesterday’s CO Lt Col Bajwa of 16 Baloch is today’s General Qamar Javed Bajwa, the COAS of this nation. What a happy occasion! But above all, what a man! What a soldier and now what a commander!. Hail the man! Hail the new Commander! Have never felt more smug and secure before.”

Meanwhile, the first and foremost move of the new Army Chief would be to appoint Chief of General Staff (CGS).

There is likelihood of Commander Southern Command Lt General Aamir Riaz would be appointed as CGS on day one of COAS General Bajwa. “This single appointment would give indications of where the Army would be heading during next three years, as Aamir Riaz would be retiring from Army in October 2019, a month before General Bajwa completes his three-year tenure as Army Chief,” said a former retired military officer who has a complete command in these military matters.

There are no indications as to whether Commanders Multan – Lt General Ashfaq Nadim – and Commander Bahawalpur – Javed Iqbal Ramday – would seek premature retirement on being superseded or would stay to complete their period till August 2017 on the requests from their course-mate General Bajwa.

It did happen in the past that superseded general officers continued serving Army on the request from the COAS like in the case of COAS General Kakar who requested both Lt Gen Farrukh and Lt Gen Arif Bangash to continue. Both agreed with their chief and continued to serve Army so much so General Farrukh was made CGS.

Things will start clearing by Tuesday afternoon when General Bajwa formally starts calling the shots and making decisions in these areas. However, if Lt Gen Aamir Riaz is brought in the GHQ as a most important man as CGS, there is a chance that Military Secretary Lt Gen Shahid Mirza would be sent to Southern Command. But it all depends how General Bajwa moves and decides on the first day or following days as Commander of Pakistan Army.

--Originally published in The News

56 MINS AGO BY STAFF REPORT
General-Qamar-Javed-Bajwa-300x200.jpg

Newly appointed COAS General Qamar Javed Bajwa assumes command of the Pakistan Army from General Raheel Sharif at a ceremony which is taking place at the Army Hockey Stadium in Rawalpindi on Tuesday.

The outgoing army chief, General Raheel Sharif, hands over the baton to Gen Bajwa at a formal change of command ceremony at the GHQ, completing the transition after months of speculation as to who will be his successor.

Lt Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa, a career infantry officer belonging to the Baloch Regiment, was chosen as Pakistan’s next Chief of Army Staff on Saturday. He will be promoted to the rank of a four-star general and will take up his new post from today, the day the current army chief Raheel Sharif retires.

The outgoing army chief on Monday spent his last day in the office completing a round of farewell meetings. The main activity at the General Headquarters ahead of Tuesday’s ceremony was the farewell corps commanders’ conference.

The conference was attended by COAS-designate Gen Bajwa, corps commanders and principal staff officers. According to the Inter-Services Public Relations, they “paid rich tribute to General Raheel Sharif for his leadership and professional acumen and lauded his services for the country”.

Speaking at the conference, Gen Sharif thanked the commanders for assisting him in the execution of his duties during his tenure. He also visited the ISI Headquarters in Islamabad to pay tribute to “the sacrifices and successes” of the spy agency “in fighting terrorism and strengthening the defence of the motherland”.

In the meantime, it is clarified that the COAS designate General Qamar Bajwa has zero presence on social media.

All facebook/twitter or other SM platforms ids & accounts on his name are fake.

Read more: Gen Bajwa has no social media account: ISPR

http://www.pakistantoday.com.pk/201...ajwa-assumes-command-as-the-new-army-chief-2/

583d1afc8648c.png

Gen Raheel Sharif and Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa. ─ DawnNews
583d20d486d95.png

Gen Raheel Sharif hands over the baton of command to Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa. ─ DawnNews

Outgoing military chief Gen Raheel Sharif on Tuesday handed over the command of the army to Chief of Army Staff General Qamar Javed Bajwa.

He passed the baton of command to Gen Bajwa at a ceremony held in the Army Hockey Stadium, close to the General Headquarters (GHQ).

Gen Raheel Sharif addressed the ceremony after reviewing the guard of honour.

"To achieve our goals, I used the full capability of the Pakistan Army. I had the entire country's cooperation for which I thank the the army and the nation," said Gen Raleel Sharif

The army chief expressed belief that the Pakistan Army would always live up to the nation's expectations.

The army chief paid tribute to those who had lost their lives for the nation.

Talking about Pakistan's battle with terrorism he said that everyone has made sacrifices for the land.

"We were able to change the face of history by fighting a war against terrorism," he added.

He thanked the federal government, political leadership and the media for their cooperation.

The outgoing army chief stressed that all institutions need to work together against external threats.

He added that India's aggressive tactics in the past months have kept the area under pressure of looming violence, "but India should know that taking our policy of patience as weakness would be dangerous."

Raheel Sharif said that the China-Pak Economic Corridor is the greatest proof of peace in the region.

"The departure of the first cargo from Gwadar port shows that this journey of cooperation cannot be halted now. Those looking to sabotage the CPEC project should now ponder joining it," said Gen Raheel Shareef

583d19362feeb.jpg

Gen Raheel Sharif and Gen Bajwa entring the ceremony. — DawnNews
A military band kickstarted the ceremony with a number of patriotic tunes.

Minister for Defence Khawaja Asif and Minister of State for Information Marriyum Aurangzeb and Speaker National Assembly Ayaz Sadiq are also in attendance.

Before the ceremony, General Raheel laid a wreath at the Yadgar-i-Shuhada.

Gen Qamar Javed Bajwa, a career infantry officer belonging to the Baloch Regiment, was chosen as Pakistan's next Chief of Army Staff and Gen Zubair Mahmood Hayat as the chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee (CJCSC) on Saturday. Gen Bajwa will be promoted to the rank of a four-star general and will take up his new post from Tuesday, the day the current army chief Raheel Sharif retires.

583d19685c5cf.png

Former army chief Ashfaq Pervez Kiyani. — DawnNews

583d1274925c1.png

Khawaja Asif at the ceremony. —DawnNews
Gen Bajwa was previously posted as the Inspector General for Training and Evaluation at the General Headquarters, the same post held by Gen Raheel Sharif before he took over as army chief.

Gen Bajwa was considered as a dark horse in the race for the army’s command and has now superseded Lt Gen Syed Wajid Hussain (chairman of Heavy Industries Taxila), Lt Gen Najibullah Khan (DG Joint Staff Headquarters), Lt Gen Ishfaq Nadeem Ahmed (Corps Commander Multan) and Lt Gen Javed Iqbal Ramday (Corps Commander Bahawalpur).

The succession may not immediately bring about a major change in policies, but it could still have important implications for ties with India and Afghanistan, and domestically for the civil-military equation and the ongoing fight against terrorism.

The army chief-designate is credited with having spent a considerable part of his military service in the Rawalpindi-based 10 Corps, which is responsible for guarding the Line of Control (LoC). However, his time at the 10 Corps was a period of relative quiet following the 2003 ceasefire accord.

This experience could prove invaluable as he takes command amidst serious escalation on the LoC, which saw some of the intense skirmishes since 2003.

On a personal level, Gen Bajwa is said to be witty, accessible, well-connected with the troops and not fond of the limelight.

He is the fourth officer from the infantry’s Baloch Regiment to become the army chief. Before him, Gen Yahya Khan, Gen Aslam Beg and Gen Kayani rose to that position.

http://www.dawn.com/news/1299382

Guys any idea what is the height of General Qamar Javed Bajwa. He is big seriously big.

583d20d486d95.png

Change of Command ceremony for chief of army staff is underway at GHQ in Rawalpindi today, where General Qamar Javed Bajwa is set to take command of Pakistan Army.

General Raheel Sharif was presented a farewell salute after he passed the baton of command to Gen Bajwa.

Gen Raheel also addressed the ceremony after reviewing guard of honour.

goh-1480399468.jpg

“I am thankful to Allah who gave me the opportunity to lead the best army in the world,” Gen Raheel said.

“As army chief, I always gave priority to national interest,” he said, adding that “Pakistan changed history by fighting a successful war against terrorism.” Further, he expressed hope that Pakistan Army would continue to live up to the nation’s expectations.

A military band kickstarted the ceremony, where members of cabinet and parliamentarians are also in attendance. Defence Minister Khawaja Asif and Speaker National Assembly Ayaz Sadiq are also present at the occasion.

Before the ceremony, the outgoing army chief, General Raheel Sharif laid a floral wreath at Yadgar-e-Shuhada in GHQ. According to media reports, all educational institutions on Mall Road and surrounding areas have been closed due to security concerns. Mobile phone services also remain suspended.

Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Sohail Aman and Chief of Naval Staff Admiral Muhammad Zakaullah arrive at GHQ.

Federal ministers, former services chiefs, senior army officers, and other dignitaries are present at the ceremony. Newly appointed Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee (CJCSC) General Zubair Mahmood Hayat and outgoing CJCSC General Rashad Mahmood are also present at the ceremony, Radio Pakistan reported.

rs1-1480396342.jpg

Gen Raheel lais floral wreath at Yadgar-e-Shuhada. AN EXPRESS NEWS SCREENGRAB

Army chief-designate General Qamar Javed Bajwa will formally take charge today of his new assignment, considered the most powerful and challenging in Pakistan at a time when the country is battling militancy and dealing with an increasingly aggressive India.

The outgoing army chief will hand over the baton to Gen Bajwa at a formal change of command ceremony at the GHQ, completing the transition after months of speculation as to who will be his successor.

Prime Minister Nawaz Sharif on Saturday picked Gen Bajwa for the coveted slot while also appointing Gen Zubair Mahmood Hayat as CJCSC, who formally took over on Monday at a ceremony held at the Joint Staff Headquarters, Chaklala, in Rawalpindi.

Also on Monday, the outgoing chief had a busy last day in his office. He paid a farewell call on Premier Sharif as well as President Mamnoon Hussain. He also visited the ISI headquarters and later chaired a last corps commanders meeting at the GHQ.

His farewell corps commanders meeting was also attended by the incoming army chief as well as other senior commanders.

bajwa-1480396341.jpg

The ISPR said that during the meeting, the corps commanders paid rich tributes to Gen Raheel Sharif for his “leadership and professional acumen and lauded his services for the country”.

Gen Raheel congratulated the chief of army staff-designate for his elevation to the rank of Gen and appointment as COAS.

Gen Raheel Sharif said it was a matter of great pride for him to have commanded the most battle hardened army in the world for three years.

He appreciated the corps commanders for their cooperation during his tenure and said the successes achieved during his tenure would not have been possible without contribution by each one of them.

Gen Raheel was the first army chief in last two decades who retired on time and that too with dignity.

In his three-year tenure, he was credited with initiating a decisive push against the militant outfits. The army, under his command, for the first time ventured into the North Waziristan Agency, once considered a hotbed of local and foreign militant groups.

He also ordered an all-out operation against the criminals, including target killers as well as political elements thought to be behind creating unrest in the port city of Karachi.

http://tribune.com.pk/story/1247643/change-command-ceremony-gen-bajwa-underway-ghq/

Last edited:
Good Luck Gen. Raheel... we will miss you so bad :cry:
Welcome Gen. Bajwa..... we wish u best of the Luck :pakistan:

Farewell General Raheel Shareef..... I doubt that someone would ever be so humane as you are. The entire nation love you from the deepest core of their heart.

I am in tears , and just have no words ,,,,,,,, Thank You Sir ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, Have a great life , May ALLAH Bless You and Your Family. :sad::sad::pakistan::pakistan:

General Raheel Sharif's Last Full Speech Before Retirement at Change of Command Ceremony 29 November 2016.

And welcome to new Chief "Command Stick Handed Over by Gen. Raheel Sharif to Gen. Qamar Bajwa" , Exclusive Video.

Gen Qamar Bajwa, COAS Gen Raheel Sharif laid floral wreaths over the Monument of the Martyred.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom