What's new

Chief of the Air Staff (CAS), ACM Rao Qamar Suleman

air marshal

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman, S Bt, SI (M), HI (M), NI (M)
19th Chief of the PAF

March 18, 2009 - till date

A portrait of newly appointed Chief of the Air Staff, Pakistan Air Force, Air Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman, HI (M) SBt. - Picture source: APP

Born in 1954, Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman received his early education at PAF Public School, Sargodha. Subsequently, he joined Pakistan Air Force and graduated from PAF Academy, Risalpur in June 1975. After doing his Fighter and Operational Conversion Courses, he initially flew the American F-86 (Sabre), and later all types of Chinese and French fighter aircraft on PAF inventory.

He is an accomplished fighter pilot with rich experience on Mirages. He is a Qualified Flying Instructor (QFI) and has been an instructor at the prestigious Combat Commanders’ School. He commanded an elite Fighter Squadron, a Fighter Flying Wing and a Fighter PAF Base.

In staff jobs at Air Headquarters, the Air Chief Marshal has served as Deputy Director in Operations Branch, Assistant Chief of the Air Staff (Plans) and Deputy Inspector General (DIG) at the Inspector General’s Branch.

In senior staff assignments, the Air Chief Marshal has the distinction of having served as Commandant PAF Air War College, Air Officer Commanding, Southern Air Command, Director General, Air Force Strategic Command and Deputy Chief of the Air Staff (Operations).

The Air Chief Marshal has also served in the UAE Air Force as an instructor pilot in a Fighter Squadron. He is a graduate of the PAF Air War College, Faisal and National Defence University, Islamabad from where he did his M Sc in Strategic Studies.

Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman assumed the command of the PAF on 19 March, 2009. He is married and blessed with three children.

In recognition of his meritorious and exceptionally dedicated services, he has been decorated with the awards of Sitara-i-Basalat, Tamgha-i-Imtiaz (Military), Sitara-i-Imtiaz (Military), Hilal-i-Imtiaz (Military) and Nishan-i-Imtiaz (Military).

On the website: PAF s' Chief of the Air Staffs

Four Air Commodores promoted as AVMs
October 9, 2003

ISLAMABAD: Four Air Air Commodores have been promoted to the rank of air vice marshal, a notification issued by the defence ministry said here.

It says Air Commodore M. Ikramullah Bhatti, Air Commodore Sabeeh Hussain, Air Commodore Rao Qamar Suleman and Air Commodore Mohammad Yousaf have been promoted to the rank of air vice marshal.

The four officers were commissioned on June 1, 1975 in the Flying Branch of the Air Force.

Air Vice Marshal Bhatti has commanded a fighters’ squadron and a flying wing. Currently, he is commanding PAF Base, Peshawar. He is recipient of Tamgha-i-Imtiaz (military).

AVM Hussain is currently performing the duties of assistant chief of air staff (operations) at the Air headquarters. He has commanded a fighters’ squadron, the Combat Commanders School of PAF, and an operational base.

He has been aide-de-camp (ADC) to the president from 1986 to 1987.

He is recipient of Sitara-i-Imtiaz (military) and Tamgha-i- Basalat.

AVM Suleman is currently working as assistant chief of the air staff (evaluation). He has commanded a fighters‘ squadron, a flying wing and an operational base. He has served as a directing staff at PAF Air War College and assistant chief of air staff (plans) at the Air Headquarters.

He is recipient of Sitara-i-Basalat (military) and Tamgha-i- Imtiaz (military).

AVM Mohammad Yousaf is currently serving as assistant chief of the air staff (administration) at Air headquarters. He has commanded a fighters’ squadron, a flying wing and an operational base. His key staff and instruction appointments include Directing Staff at PAF Air War College. He is also a recipient of Sitara-i-Imtiaz (military) and Tamgha-i- Basalat. - Dawn

AVM Rao Qamar Suleman promoted to Air Marshal
November 15, 2007

ISLAMABAD: The government on Thursday promoted Air Vice Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman to the rank of Air Marshal, an official announcement said.

Air Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman was commissioned in Pakistan Air Force on June 1, 1975, in Flying Branch. He is a graduate of Flying Instructors’ School, Combat Commanders’ School, Pakistan Air Force Air War College and National Defence University, Islamabad. During his career, he has commanded a fighter squadron, a fighter wing, an operational air base and a regional air command.

He has also been the assistant chief of air staff (plans) and the director general of the Air Force Strategic Command at the Air Headquarters in Islamabad. He has been the commandant of Pakistan Air Force Air War College.

He also served in Abu Dhabi Air Force on deputation. He is a recipient of Hilal-i-Imtiaz (Military) and Sitara-i-Basalat.

- Dailytimes

Another Batch of Four F-16s joins PAF
June 28, 2008

ISLAMABAD, APP: A simple but impressive ceremony for handing over of four, F-16 aircraft to Pakistan Air Force was held at PAF Base Mushaf (Sargodha).

Air Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman, Deputy Chief of the Air Staff (Operations), Pakistan Air Force received the Fighting Falcons from Lt Gen Gary L. North, Commander 9th Air Force and USAF Central Command.

Four aircraft have already arrived in Pakistan. The batch of aircraft which arrived have the same operational capability as of the already possessed F-16 aircraft by the PAF and will significantly augment its combat capability in defending the aerial frontiers of Pakistan.

The last batch of remaining four F-16 aircraft would be handed over to PAF on July 28, 2008. A contingent of high ranking officials from Air Forces of Pakistan and United States were also present on the occasion.

Then Air Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman receiving a batch of four F-16s from United States on behalf of PAF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Names for new Air Chief shortlisted
January 18, 2009

ISLAMABAD: Three names have been forwarded to President Asif Ali Zardari for appointment of new chief of the air staff of the Pakistan Air Force (PAF), official sources said.

“The new chief of air staff will succeed the incumbent CAS, Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed, who is going to retire on completion of his three-year tenure on March 20,” said an official, who wished not to be identified.

“Initially five senior officers were proposed for final selection and names of three of them have been forwarded to the president,” he added. According to official sources those initially considered for the top office of the PAF included Air Marshal Shahid Latif, serving as deputy chief of air staff; Air Marshal Khalid Chaudhry, working as chairman of the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex, Kamra; Air Marshal Rao Qamar, working as deputy chief of staff (operations); Air Marshal Hifazatullah, serving as deputy chief of staff (personnel); and Air Marshal Yousaf Chaudhry, serving as deputy chief of air staff (support). Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed had taken over as the 18th CAS on March 20, 2006, on completion of three-year tenure of his predecessor. Among his achievements is the successful induction and up-gradation of Mirage III aircraft acquired from Libya to make 27th squadron of the PAF.

The incumbent CAS is a qualified flying instructor and a graduate of the Combat Commanders School, Sargodha, PAF’s equivalent to US Navy’s ‘TOPGUN’. He has commanded a fighter squadron, the choicest F-16s 38th Tactical Flying Wing, PAF Base Sargodha, and his alma mater, the PAF Academy, Risalpur. He has flown the American F-86 Sabre and F-16 Falcon aircraft and other aircraft of Chinese and French origin on the PAF inventory. He also served in UAE Air Force as a fighter instructor pilot.

Air Marshal Khalid Chaudhry, who was among five air marshals considered for elevation to the post of CAS, commanded the PAF Base, Sargodha as well as F-16 and Combat Commanders School. A graduate of the Royal College of Defence Studies, UK, he also served as the deputy chief of air staff (operations & logistics).

For the last three years, he is serving as the chairman of the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex, Kamra. The JF-17 Thunder jet project was launched and Pakistan joined the elite club of aircraft manufacturing countries during his tenure. He has been awarded Hilal-e-Imtiaz (Military) and Tamgha-e-Basalat.

Air Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman appointed new Air Chief
March 8, 2009

ISLAMABAD: Air Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman appointed new as the new Chief of Air Staff. The President took the decision in consultation with Prime Minister Syed Yusuf Raza Gilani, President’s spokesman Farhatullah Babar told.

Air Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman will assume the command of Pakistan Air Force from the outgoing Chief of Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed who will retire on completion of his three-year tenure on March 20, 2009.

Air Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman is currently serving as the Deputy Chief of the Air Staff (Operations). Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed assumed the command of the PAF on 18 March, 2006 as 18th CAS. His recent significant contribution to the force was agreement between Pakistan Air Force and Chinese firm CATIC for the serial production of JF-17 (Thunder) aircraft, under which 42 aircraft would be co-manufactured by China and Pakistan and would be inducted in the PAF’s fleet.

He had served as Deputy Director Operations Branch, Personal Staff Officer to two Air Chiefs, Chief Project Director of F-16 Project, Senior Air Staff Officer at Northern Air Command, Peshawar and Director General, Air Weapons Complex, Wah.

At senior staff assignments, the Air Chief Marshal had the unique distinction of having served as Deputy Chief of Air Staff (Administration), Deputy Chief of Air Staff (Operations) and Vice Chief of the Air Staff.

The Air Chief Marshal had also served the UAE Air Force as a fighter instructor pilot. He is a graduate of Air War College, Turkey and National Defence College, Islamabad from where he did his M.Sc in Strategic Studies.

Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman assumes charge
March 18, 2009

By Sajjad Malik

ISLAMABAD: The new Chief of Air Staff (CAS) Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman will take command of the Pakistan Air Force (PAF) at the Air Headquarters.

The 19th chief of air staff was born in 1954 and got his initial education at PAF College Sargodha. He joined the PAF in 1975. The CAS is a fighter pilot, a qualified flying instructor and has served as an instructor at the Combat Commanders School.

Suleman has served as deputy director in PAF Operations Branch, assistant chief of the air staff (plans) and the PAF deputy inspector general at Inspector General’s Branch, the Air War College commandant, the Southern Air Command air officer commanding and Air Force Strategic Command director general. Before his appointment as the CAS, he was serving as the Air Staff (Operations) deputy chief.

Married with three children, Suleman has been awarded Tamgha-i-Imtiaz (Military), Sitara-i-Basalat, Sitara-i-Imtiaz (Military) and Hilal-i-Imtiaz (Military).

Separately, the outgoing CAS Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mehmood Ahmed paid a farewell call on President Asif Zardari.

Air Chief Marshal Rao is an accomplished fighter pilot
March 18, 2009

ISLAMABAD, APP: Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman who took over as new Chief of the Air Staff Pakistan Air Force is an accomplished fighter pilot with rich experience on Mirages. He is the architect of anti-surgical strike strategy which barred India to carry out her dirty designs of carrying out strikes against Pakistan in aftermath of the Mumbai attacks. Air Chief Marshal (ACM) Rao at that time held the most important post of Deputy Chief of the Air Staff (Operations) in PAF.

ACM Rao received his early education at PAF Public School, Sargodha and joined Pakistan Air Force after graduated from PAF Academy, Risalpur in June 1975.

After doing his Fighter and Operational Conversion Courses, he initially flew the American F-86 (Sabre), and later all types of Chinese and French fighter aircraft on PAF inventory.

He is a Qualified Flying Instructor (QFI) and has been an instructor at the prestigious Combat Commanders’ School. He commanded an elite Fighter Squadron, Fighter Flying Wing and a Fighter PAF Base.

In staff jobs at Air Headquarters, ACM Rao has served as Deputy Director in Operations Branch, Assistant Chief of the Air Staff (Plans) and Deputy Inspector General (DIG) at the inspector General’s Branch.

In Senior Staff assignments, he has the distinction of having served as commandant PAF Air War college, Air Officer commanding, Southern Air Command, Director General, Air Force strategic Command and Deputy Chief of the Air Staff (Operations).

He has also served in the UAE Air Force as an instructor pilot in a Fighter Squadron. He is a graduate of the PAF Air War College, Faisalabad and National Defence University, Islamabad from where he did his M.SC in Strategic Studies.

He is married and blessed with three children. In recognition of his meritorious and exceptionally dedicated services, he has been decorated with the awards of Sitara-i-Basalat, Tamgha-i-Imtiaz (Military), Sitara-i-Imtiaz (Military) and Hilal-i-Imtiaz (Military).

Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman takes over as PAF’s new chief
March 18, 2009

ISLAMABAD, APP: Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman HI (M), S Bt took over as new Chief of the Air Staff of Pakistan Air Force at a ceremony held here at the Air Headquarters. The out going Chief of the Air Staff Air Chief Marshal Tanvir Mahmood Ahmed formally handed over the PAF’s Sword of Command to the in-coming Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman. Both the out-going and in-coming Chiefs of the Air Staff were presented guards of honor separately to formally mark the change of command.

Earlier, Air Chief Marshal Tanvir pinned badges on the shoulders of Air Marshal Rao, formally promoting him to the rank of Air Chief Marshal.

Air Chief Marshal Tanvir while delivering farewell address termed the occasion a happy augury that he was handing over the command of the world’s one of the best air forces to a worthy officer of PAF.

He expressed the hope that the PAF would continue to flourish in the days to come as a number of contracts for acquiring modern air fleet, command systems and weaponry are in the phases of accomplishment.

He said more punch and agility is being added to the PAF.

He recalled that three years back when he took over the command the force was facing numerous challenges in various sectors and all these were successfully met by the grace of Allah Almighty during the course.

He reposed confidence in the new leadership of the force and said Air Chief Marshal Rao is competent enough to take the PAF forward to make it a force of the 21st century.

He urged the officers and men to fully equip themselves with the modern knowledge and skill to step forward as a real force of 21st century.

The ceremony was attended by former Air Chiefs and their families, besides senior serving PAF officers, men and their families.

Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman called on Prime Minister and President
March 19, 2009

ISLAMABAD: Newly appointed Chief of Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman called on Prime Minister Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani at the Prime Minister’s House. The Prime Minister expressed the confidence that under his able leadership Pakistan Air Force (PAF) would continue to achieve professional excellence.

The Prime Minister said that PAF had always played an important role in the defence of the country in addition to providing vital support to civil administration in relief and rehabilitation efforts during natural calamities. Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman thanked the government for reposing confidence in his abilities.

Earlier Chief of the Air Staff, Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman called on President Asif Ali Zardari here in the Presidency on Thursday. The President congratulated him on assuming the charge of his new responsibilities and hoped that under his able leadership Pakistan Air Force will grow stronger. The Air Chief thanked the President for reposing confidence in him and said that he will try his best to come up to his expectations.

Air Chief Qamar Suleman confers Non-operational Military awards
May 7, 2009

ISLAMABAD: As many as 106 Pakistan Air Force staffers were conferred non-operational awards for their outstanding performance.

An investiture ceremony was held at Air Headquarters Islamabad, wherein non-operational military awards were conferred on these personnel of Pakistan Air Force for their distinguished services.

Air Chief Marshal Rao Qamar Suleman, Chief of the Air Staff, Pakistan Air Force was the chief guest on the occasion. In the ceremony 26 Sitara-i-Imtiaz (military), 24 Tamgha-i-Imtiaz (military) and 03 Tamgha-i-Basalat were conferred on the Officers while Tamgha-i-Khidmat Class (I) were awarded to 53 junior commissioned officers.

These awards were given in recognition of extreme devotion to the duty rendered by the officers and JCOs of Pakistan Air Force, hence contributing towards the improvement of the overall efficiency of the service. Large number of senior officers of Pakistan Air Force attended the ceremony.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom