What's new

Chief of Army Staff | General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kayani lays floral wreath on memorial of ‘Rah-e-Nijat’ martyrs

QUETTA, Jun 30 (APP) - Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani on Wednesday laid a floral wreath on the monument of the martyrs of operation “Rah-e-Raast in Quetta cant.

COAS accompanied by the Commander Southern Command Lieutenant General Javed Zia also visited the Baloch Training Wing and Balochistan Institute of Technical Education, a vocational training center established by Pak Army for the Balochistan youth.

Earlier, Commander Southern Command Lieutenant General Javed Zia and other Army officials received General Kayani on his arrival.

Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani arrived in Quetta today on an official visit.

Corps Commander Southern Command Lieutenant General Javed Zia and other senior army officials were present at the reception of the army chief.

General Kayani's first visit in the capital city was to the martyrs' monument in Quetta Cantt where he offered Fateha for the martyrs and laid a floral wreath in thier honour.

The General also visited the Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Centre in Quetta where local students are being given technical training to develop skills for better employment opportunities.

General Kayani also inspected the Baloch Regiment and met the three thousand three hundred recruits.

He welcomed the newly inducted youth in the Baloch Regiment.

Rawalpindi - June 30, 2010:

The Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has said that support and backing of the people of South Waziristan is critical in build and transfer phase of this campaign. He expressed full confidence, that like Swat, people of South Waziristan will play their decisive positive role in bringing stability and peace to the area that the Army is now holding. He made these remarks while addressing a group of officers during his visit to Command and Staff College Quetta.

The Chief of Army Staff also dwelt at length on the emerging regional situation. He expressed his hope that the effort(s) to bring peace and stability in Afghanistan will succeed. He welcomed the appointment of General David Petraeus as Commander ISAF and stated that his experience and expertise in similar conditions is likely to add value to a complex situation. He (General Petraeus) is somebody that I have known over the last two years (plus) and that he has full understanding of Pakistan’s perspective and is acutely appreciative of Pakistani sacrifices.

COAS called upon all stakeholders to synergize their efforts towards achievement of common strategic objectives. He emphasized upon the primacy of the political strategy and objectives, which would define the end state. He concluded by saying that the strategic framework must be defined by Afghanistan and must have full Afghan ownership.

Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani arrived in Quetta today on an official visit.

Corps Commander Southern Command Lieutenant General Javed Zia and other senior army officials were present at the reception of the army chief.

General Kayani's first visit in the capital city was to the martyrs' monument in Quetta Cantt where he offered Fateha for the martyrs and laid a floral wreath in thier honour.

The General also visited the Electrical and Mechanical Engineering Centre in Quetta where local students are being given technical training to develop skills for better employment opportunities.

General Kayani also inspected the Baloch Regiment and met the three thousand three hundred recruits.

He welcomed the newly inducted youth in the Baloch Regiment

are the recruits baloch or pashtuns??

Majority would be from Baluchistan, comprising of both baluch and pathans, as quetta has a mini-baloch training center, for the very purpose to train locals near to their homes as the real baloch center is very far away in Abbottabad.

My cousin was in late 90s commanding officer of this baloch center, he said the local recruits used AWOL when sent to quetta as they would become home sick, as they are not used to military, thus a mini center was made to facilitate them and bring up the number of the locals in the army.

International, national media briefed on Army- run projects, training for Balochistan youth

QUETTA, Jun 30 (APP) - Inter Service Public Relations (ISPR) Wednesday organized a trip of national and international media to brief them about the projects being carried out by the Pak Army for the welfare of the youth of Balochistan.

Director General ISPR Maj Gen Athar Abbas accompanied the media. The international media included correspondents from AP, Reuters, CNN, China Radio and others while Prominent others from national media were Saleem Safi, Haroon Rasheed, Ali Raza, Abdul Malik, and Arshad Shareef.

Balochistan Institute for Technical Education was the first place where commandant BITE Brigadier Jameel apprised the visitors about the salient features of the institute.

He said that BITE which was established in 2007 had so imparted technical education to some 967 students of 440 had got jobs in various institutes including in Army.

The pupils being trained in BITE are hailing from all parts of the province, adding a little quota has also been allocated for aspirants youth from other provinces.

“1647 pupils have been enrolled so far in BITE while currently there are 680 taking the technical education”, he added.

Later, media teams were taken to the Chmalang Boys hostel where Brigadier Qaiser gave the thorough briefing about the Chamalang Balochistan Education Programme.

He said that CBEP was launched aimed at provide quality education to the poor students of the province, adding students from 12 Baloch dominated districts and 6 district with Pashtun majority have been enrolled with the per annum cost of Rs 73.38.

“4198 students are being imparted education in different renowned educational institutions across the country sponsored by the Pak Army, he maintained.

During the visit to Baloch training wing media was informed by Lieutenant Colonel Saeed Ahmed Baloch that 921 Jawans were being trained in the center on the special directives of the COAS General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani.

As many as 2500 Baloch Jawans were under training in BTW established in various districts including Zhob and Gwader he noted.
He recalled that about three and half thousands baloch have been inducted in Pak Army so far in this year.

Earlier, the personnel of media accompanied by DG ISPR visited the BITE, CBEP and BTW.

2022.jpg

Chief of Army Staff, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani paying tribute to Shuhada of Balochistan after wreath laying at Yadgar-e-Shuhada, Quetta on Wednesday. (30-6-2010) – Photo ISPR

2023.jpg

Chief of Army Staff, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani meeting with Balochi Recruits at Baloch Training Wing Quetta on Wednesday. (30-6-2010) – Photo ISPR

2024.jpg

Chief of Army Staff, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani visiting Balochistan Institute of Technical Training running under Southern Command at Quetta on Wednesday. (30-6-2010) – Photo ISPR

2022.jpg

Chief of Army Staff, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani paying tribute to Shuhada of Balochistan after wreath laying at Yadgar-e-Shuhada, Quetta on Wednesday. (30-6-2010) – Photo ISPR

2023.jpg

Chief of Army Staff, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani meeting with Balochi Recruits at Baloch Training Wing Quetta on Wednesday. (30-6-2010) – Photo ISPR

2024.jpg

Chief of Army Staff, General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani visiting Balochistan Institute of Technical Training running under Southern Command at Quetta on Wednesday. (30-6-2010) – Photo ISPR

It is a good way of dealing with the feelings of animosity against the PA, however people of the region need to have more education and more importantly more employment. I have always had the dream that you employ people, train them and link the conntinuity of their employment to furthering their education. Targets should be set and they should be granted more benefits if they achieve their targetted educational LANDMARKS. However, this needs money ,time and more importantly organization and is a job which brings nojoy to the people instituting them(political dead end!!) therefore it will not be taken up by this governement.

No PR252/2010-ISPR Dated: July 1, 2010

Rawalpindi - July 1, 2010: While commenting upon recent reports of his meetings in Afghanistan, the Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani has said that during his last two visits to Kabul, he has met President Karzai to discuss issues of mutual interests. On both these occasions, ex-commander ISAF General Stanley McChrystal was also present. This transparent trilateral engagement augurs well for the comfort level of the leadership of all prime stake holders and strengthens the existing relationship

Gen Kayani denies secret Karzai-Haqqani meets

ISLAMABAD: Pakistan's army chief General Ashfaq Pervez Kayani Wednesday denied organising secret meetings in Kabul between Afghan President Hamid Karzai and a senior Al-Qaeda-linked militant.

Kayani's brief statement came days after a media report claimed that he and the head of Pakistani intelligence services facilitated a meeting between Karzai and Sirajuddin Haqqani, who heads the Haqqani network.

“General Ashfaq Kayani has said that during his last two visits to Kabul, he met President Karzai to discuss issues of mutual interest,” the military said in a statement.

It quoted Kayani as saying that on both these occasions, recently-sacked Nato commander General Stanley McChrystal was also present.

The statement, however, did not specify when the meetings took place.

“This transparent trilateral engagement augurs well for the comfort level of the leadership of all prime stake holders and strengthens the existing relationship,” Kayani said.

Relations between Kabul and Islamabad have been marked by distrust, but there have been growing signs of rapprochement and Karzai in March welcomed an offer from Pakistan to help with peace efforts.

Karzai's spokesman Waheed Omar had also dismissed the report that the Afghan president had a face-to-face with Haqqani in Kabul.

Haqqani network leaders are based in North Waziristan. Created by Afghan warlord Jalaluddin Haqqani and run by his son Sirajuddin the group is one of the toughest foes for foreign forces in Afghanistan, particularly in the east of the country.—AFP

DAWN.COM | Pakistan | Gen Kayani denies secret Karzai-Haqqani meets

Trilateral engagement with US, Afghanistan comforts Kayani

ISLAMABAD, July 1 (APP) - Commenting on recent reports of his meetings in Afghanistan, Chief of the Army Staff General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani on Thursday said, “This transparent trilateral engagement augurs well for the comfort level of the leadership of all prime stake holders and strengthens the existing relationship.”

During his last two visits to Kabul, General Kayani had met President Karzai to discuss issues of mutual interests, said a press statement issued here.

On both these occasions, former Commander of the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) General Stanley McChrystal was also present, the official news release added.

COAS confirms meeting Karzai, McChrystal

KARACHI: Chief of Army Staff (COAS) General Ashfaq Pervaiz Kayani confrirmed that he met with President Karzai and General Stanley McChrystal during his last two visits to Kabul.

There were reports of General Kayani’s meetings with Karzai and Stanley in Kabul.

Kayani said during his meetings with Karzai, the two sides discussed issues of mutual interests. Moreover, ex-commander ISAF General Stanley McChrystal was also present during both the meetings.

General Kayani said transparent engagements strengthen relationships between the major stakeholders of the war against terror.

COAS confirms meeting Karzai, McChrystal – The Express Tribune

Balochistan Diary: Army schools: too little, a bit too late

By Saeed Minhas

QUETTA: Do I have a future? Because I cannot afford another Rs 9,000 to appear for a Higher Education Commission exam that would make me eligible to pursue a graduation course at one of the national universities. We are seven brothers and sisters, my father is the only breadwinner of the house who makes only Rs 6,000 a month doing labour jobs in Kohlu. I have finished intermediate and am now staying in Quetta with a relative for a few days.

In case I fail to manage funds within a few weeks, I would have no choice but to go back to my family, find some manual job that will fetch me up to Rs 3,000 a month to help keep my family afloat for the rest of my life. Or I might grab an offer from a gang that pays much more than a labour job does and end up joining many of my friends who are already working for them and making good money. Since my future is not in my hands, it seems I would have to leave it in the hands of circumstances and see when and where we will meet the next time – in university corridors or with the militias.

This was expressed by Ashfaq, an 18-year-old, who was briefing foreign reporters in fluent English at one of the army facilities in Quetta Cantonment, where the Pakistan Army is running the Chamalang-Balochistan Education Programme (CBEP) to provide boarding, lodging to about 140 students and free education to 600 male students from various districts of Balochistan. Another 500 boys and 30 girls have been selected by the army from 19 out of 30 districts in Balochistan, mainly from Kohlu and Loralai, and have been sent to various army-run schools across the country.

To run this programme, the army is collecting funds from the Chamalang Coal Mines Project where every metric tonne extracted is bringing not only shares to the local tribes of Lunis and Marris, but also sizeable taxes to the provincial and federal governments, besides Rs 470 per metric tonne to the CBEP. The programme’s current cost is about Rs 73.38 million per year. More details on the Chamalang project will feature in the next column.

Ashfaq’s 13-year-old brother, clad in an Army Public School crisp uniform with a striped tie, studying at the facility, was also brought to the media. The young boy was a student of grade 5. “The reason for him still being in grade 5 is that my father could not afford to send him to school and he was wasting his life by roaming around in the Kohlu terrains or helping my father, but I had to vigorously convince my family to send him to this army facility for education,” Ashfaq explained when his frozen and dazed younger brother failed to speak up. All that the young boy could muster up was “no matter what, everything here is great, but I still miss my home, parents and family”.

A gathering of elders, guardians and parents of the children studying at this facility was arranged by the army for the visiting foreign media. Many of them were ready to talk to the reporters, while others refrained, saying “if spotted by the separatists, we might not only endanger ourselves, but our entire families, because we belong to the areas where the government’s writ is totally absent”.

A teacher, whose five students have been chosen for this army facility from Khuzdar – the second largest city with over 500,000 inhabitants – said, “Only nine kids have been taken from an area where more than 2,400 children are enrolled in two different government schools.” Pointing at the media delegates, he said, “They are here to make stories out of us, but the fact is that we have already become a story.”

Mentioning Mastung, Khuzdar, Kalat, Panjgore, Kharan, Turbat and even Gwadar, the concerned teacher, who was hiding from lurching cameramen around him, said in all these areas and in 80 percent of Balochistan, books, such as those regarding Pakistan Studies, have been banned and the Pakistani flag cannot be hoisted at a school or any other building, even singing the national anthem is prohibited.

“By picking a few children from these areas and educating them in restive and huge vicinities of the Quetta Cantonment, the Pakistan Army has at least set the ball rolling,” he said, adding, “Though many of us consider this effort too little and a bit too late.”

Surrounding him were parents of two children studying at this army facility, and one of them, when asked for authenticity of the teacher’s claims, acknowledged it by saying, “If our pictures are run on TV channels or photographs in newspapers, we will have to face the music after reaching Khuzdar, but still we are of the idea that taking only five or six children from these areas is not enough. Either the Pakistan Army should take charge of all the children out there or the provincial and federal governments should do something to at least ensure provision of education to the children in all parts of Balochistan.”

Meanwhile, another group of parents with concerned eyes and wary faces, expressed an assortment of feelings and untold hardships they have and are going through while living in various parts of the province. They were all thankful to the Pakistan Army for taking up the noble cause of imparting education to the children of those “untouchables” who live in a minerals-and-natural-resources-rich province that covers more than 43 percent of the country’s land and holds only six percent of the country’s population. They said it’s just a contrived impression that the area is showing economic growth at the rate of over three percent annually. More on this will feature in our next column.

Many of the people, who had gathered to talk to the foreign media, especially those coming from the troubled areas of the province where insurgents and separatists are playing with their lives, sought anonymity for obvious reasons. Upon assurance, they narrated harrowing tales of political corruption, foreign involvement and increasing influence of a few armed gangs of youngsters whose control was multiplying at an alarming rate.

When around 30 children were brought to the reporters, they not only answered queries on how comfortably they were being fed, taught and kept in these facilities, but also raised slogans of “Pakistan Zindabad” and sang the national anthem. An encouraging show for the media to assume that nothing is wrong within the barracks of the armed forces, as long as funds keep pouring in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom