What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

I watched several clips on Youtube, the J-20 moves seemed to be held back by the pilots. And I think they were told not to show too much to the public due to security reason maybe. Generally speaking, the performance was quite stunning.

I watched several clips on Youtube, the J-20 moves seemed to be held back by the pilots. And I think they were told not to show too much to the public due to security reason maybe. Generally speaking, the performance was quite stunning.
I watched and compared quite a bit as well. From my point of view, the best performance happened on the first day of the airshow, when the weather was pretty bad and the cloud was very low. I think the pilot worried that the aircraft could enter stall as it was to fly so low and he pushed up the afterburners quite high with nozzles brighter than ever, which makes the demo unexpectedly well.

I watched and compared quite a bit as well. From my point of view, the best performance happened on the first day of the airshow, when the weather was pretty bad and the cloud was very low. I think the pilot worried that the aircraft could enter stall as it was to fly so low and he pushed up the afterburners quite high with nozzles brighter than ever, which makes the demo unexpectedly well.
You wouldn't normally see 4 stealth jets flying in formation anyway. In actual operation you'd most likely see a pair or a trio flying at least 1km apart.

The J-20AS twin seater was spotted again ...

1669110321412.png

Last edited:
World-class production lines speed up deliveries of China’s J-20 stealth jet fighter | South China Morning Post (scmp.com)

That sounds too high to me, though that's just my speculation. How reliable is this information? I have seen weird comments by Minnie Chan in past.
That's not too high actually. J-10C already cost approximately $50 million USD per unit.

As planes get more advanced, labor cost become less relevant to component cost. China is not going to produce a plane at 1/3 the price of American planes given similar performance.

That's not too high actually. J-10C already cost approximately $50 million USD per unit.

As planes get more advanced, labor cost become less relevant to component cost. China is not going to produce a plane at 1/3 the price of American planes given similar performance.

Actually, if a J-20 cost is similar to US equivalent, like F-35 or F-22, then actually it's more expensive than US jet fighter. Because it is China, and RMB value is lower than USD.

Finally officially confirmed!!

A J-20 fitted with WS-15 has already taken its maiden flight. Apparently the speaker in that video is a famous academician from the Chinese Academy of Engineering. He is allegedly specialized in turbofan engines.

Video by @星辰大海SLC on Bilibili.

A J-20 fitted with WS-15 has already taken its maiden flight. Apparently the speaker in that video is a famous academician from the Chinese Academy of Engineering. He is allegedly specialized in turbofan engines.

he only said WS-15 has taken maiden flight. Didn't say it was with J-20

That's a catch 22 situation. Because China also can't produce a jet that's 1:1 match price wise with the US / EU. Because then the buyer will go direct to the US and EU simply due to their solid reputation of building top notch jets and many of the platforms are combat proven, while the Chinese platforms are paper-proven as they've not seen combat yet. Combat proven is a HUGE capability by itself.

It's actually not hard to understand it's flight characteristics as the airframe gives it up. Additionally, the Chinese gave up frontal stealth capability for canards. If I was designing it, I'd have kept the canards away to achieve further reduction in frontal RCS and would've instead planned on TVC for agility, similar to the F-22.

Congrats! Deino - Will you be able to point me to specs for WS-15 please? I'm interested to compare it with other Chinese engines and see it's performance.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom