What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

Realistic turn rates for J-20 are around 30 deg/sec Instantaneous turn rate and 25 deg/sec sustained and that is a very high STR. see

Mig 29'smaximum turn-rate of 28 degrees per second is better than that of the nimblest of West's fighters: F 16's 26 degrees per second. And its sustained turn rate 23 degrees per second is better than West's most advanced air defence fighter F 15's sustained turn rate of 16 degrees per second.

The J-20`s Zhuhai air demo is unimpressive, a realistic number is 30 deg/sec instantaneous and 21 deg/sec sustained and that will make as good as Gripen which is pretty agile, but the turns it made were in the region of 18 deg/second.

Sustained - approx. 20 deg/sec. Instantaneous - approx. 30 deg/sec.

Zhuhai air demo is nothing spectacular in terms of stunts in the air. The J-20 is just for attraction to those never seen the J-20 with own eyes. Military expo is just for customers to browse for suitable weapons or just sight seeing

180 deg in 3 seconds is 60 STR, that will be post stall, there is no postall maneovre in that video, in fact A Hornet can not get very good numbers above 500km/h.
View attachment 783514
What you are saying is fantasy, most aircraft even the most agile are in the region of 25-28 deg/s and here I am saying with TVC nozzles, your 60 deg/sec is fantasy.

Fighters maneuverability best at mach 0.75-0.85 having the thrust to throw high yoyo, hard 9G banking, etc. However, after bleeding out & whenever it's hard to gain speed during dogfight, mostly doing below 300kts, at lower speed below 200kts, aircraft with less aerodynamic less swept wings such as F/A-18E, Rafale, J-10C, EF-2000, would enjoy the low speed maneuverability having the advantage of being able to still turn well.

Guys … this back & forth Must end here !
You can continue your discussion in the general aerial warefare thread, but please stop here in the J-20 thread.

Oh well ...

... if this is the USAF's official understanding on the PLAAF's J-20, so what what an epic fail!

1. Not sure, what Zhuhai Airshow they saw, but 15 J-20s in a formation? Here on earth? What?
There were only two and no "additional group of the aircraft parked on the runway."...

But even more:

2. Why still citing SCMP? Minnie Chan is probably the most unreliable source and this report was criticised as simply wrong. To claim there are 150 J-20s in service is ridiculous all the more in "four air regiments, most operating in the interior of the country"
At best there 60-70 J-20s in service yet and the PLAAF operates them in Brigades!

As such, PLEASE beware of such reports and even more the mentioned "source".

In fact, I rate her the most unreliable "source" at all; I would even go as far that she has no true internal PLA-related sources at all. All she does is lurking around at some certain social media platforms and picks up the most obscure rumours, she then hypes as "based on internal contacts ...".

So, by my understanding, she's simply not able or willing to differ between reliable and unreliable internet rumours and to put them into the correct context.

Sir, do you have latest list of PLAAF inventory?

The clearest J-20 cockpit ever From 彩云香江.

FBY9i8eVIAEgNQU.jpg
FBY9iczUUAI-hf1.jpg

I think it's one large display and one small display. The large display looks like it might be two because it is a curved display which is why it looks like it is angled which explains why some people think it's two large at the top. I think it's one large that is curved at the top and bottom display.

The J-20 is already banking when the camera started recording on the turn radius. I calculated few times minus the bad camera angle, it took 9 seconds to complete the 180degree turn and the turning radius is actually big compared to Su-27 and F/A-18E. There's no manned aircraft that could perform 60 degree turn per second unless it's an AIM-9X sidewinder missile.
9 seconds? please be more specific on the beginning point and ending point in the video.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom