What's new

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft News & Discussions

In Vietnam war, the US pilots resorted to engage Migs through WVR and from distant due to their strategy but there were still gun kills. But since then, there have been plenty of Gun Kills across the globe.

If you are looking at the US engagements across the globe and trying to determine "gun kills", you are looking at the wrong picture. Our strategy isn't to engage the enemy at close distance one by one. We establish air dominance and practically put in a no fly zone no matter how many fighters the adversary has. So when the other party has little to no chance of flying their sir assets to challenge the US military....how would they ever get to gun kills?

The F-22 is built on a similar concept, yet with a gun as an emergency option in case there is a Dog Fight. But its primary role is to disrupt and destroy enemy formations in bulk, before any US air assets can be exposed to the enemy. If a squadron on intercept is destroyed 60-75% by two -22's, way before the -15's or -18's get closer to the "left over" interceptors....what do you think the interceptors will be doing? More than likely, they'll be low on fuel, with moral destroyed, trying to run away from the invisible ghost that just destroyed 15 out of 20 jets! But if there was no -22 or a BVR doctrine, the regular jets would probably still get into a dog fight, specially if both parties were located in a close proximity.

The strategy worked in Iraq and Afghanistan, against weak "enemies", and still for Iraq you needed 30 other air forces to impose a no fly zone. In Vietnam the American losses were tremendous, despite this strategy. And the F-22 has not seen any real combat; it is designed to enforce the US strategy (if the pilots do not shock on their oxygen supply!), but many nations can deny the air superiority to the US let alone the establishment of a no fly zone. American designers must have taken that into account, since they have incorporated guns on the F-22 and F-35 alike, they must know better...

The strategy worked in Iraq and Afghanistan, against weak "enemies", and still for Iraq you needed 30 other air forces to impose a no fly zone. In Vietnam the American losses were tremendous, despite this strategy. And the F-22 has not seen any real combat; it is designed to enforce the US strategy (if the pilots do not shock on their oxygen supply!), but many nations can deny the air superiority to the US let alone the establishment of a no fly zone. American designers must have taken that into account, since they have incorporated guns on the F-22 and F-35 alike, they must know better...
The US think tank still has the vietnam war phobia. The gun in F-22 and F-35 is mostly just a backup, not a neccesity.

The US think tank still has the vietnam war phobia. The gun in F-22 and F-35 is mostly just a backup, not a neccesity.
They have thought the same with the F-4 Phantom!... till they 've foud out it was a necessity. Not taking any chances this time, backup or necessity, a gun must be.

that pic look PSed

just look at the color difference between the canard & saw tooth area

plus there is small extension from the end of trailing side

i am sure it's psed

CHEERS

What about this picture ....
Zoom in and see the canard.

144236gqtpxxstucp6t1jt-jpg.180250

that pic look PSed

just look at the color difference between the canard & saw tooth area

plus there is small extension from the end of trailing side

i am sure it's psed

CHEERS

And I'm sure it is not ! If You look closely on all images showing the underside, there is each time the same detail ...

J-20 2015 canard details.jpg

And I'm sure it is not ! If You look closely on all images showing the underside, there is each time the same detail ...

View attachment 180470
ok i missed it post deleted from my side that pic was way too dark uneven in color for me detect that
151825gt5fjbzldz09zwih.jpg.thumb.jpg

interesting thing i had mention that thing earliear in this thread

Chengdu J-20 5th Generation Aircraft | Updates & Discussions. | Page 125

in return i got cheap shots from chinese members at that time but hilariously chinese engineer did listen my pov eventually
China's J-20 stealth fighter is already doing a whole lot more | Page 39

CHEERS

Last edited:
That Canard is always going to remain a RCS control problem. I suppose the RCS management algorithm by Chengdu will have a lot of its work cut out trying to manage with that.

That Canard is always going to remain a RCS control problem. I suppose the RCS management algorithm by Chengdu will have a lot of its work cut out trying to manage with that.
you are right sir but you remember the JAST program one of its design striking similarities to J-20 and also don't forget X-36 it has extremely low RCS with Canard said by the analysts.:angel:

... and even more the YF-23 proposal for the Naval version had a Canard configuration as well (and if I'm not completely wrong, the current Boeing proposal for the F/A-18 successor too). So a canard is not necessarily a reason for being non-stealthy.

That's exaclty what an engineer from Dassault Aviation tolde me 2 years ago. When I shown him the first pics of J-20, he said that the fact that the canards are alined on the same plan with the wings, the "bad" impact of canard on RCS is highly reduced.

Henri K.

Canards are not a 'RCS control problem' anymore than main wings and horizontal stabilizers. In fact, all leading and trailing edges on an aircraft reflect radar. The key is planform alignment.

KOveBag.png

YAPb7dk.png

The enemy is assumed to be in front of you, so leading and trailing edges are swept at carefully selected angles to redirect radar energy to these angles and NOT towards the front. It's that simple.

you are right sir but you remember the JAST program one of its design striking similarities to J-20 and also don't forget X-36 it has extremely low RCS with Canard said by the analysts.:angel:

Both the JAST and X-36 were abandoned due the fact that the manoeuvrability advantage provided by the canards was offsetted by their contribution to RCS. Which is why aircraft like the Eurofighter(and the J-20 as well) use software to manage canard position throughout flight to provide the optimum balance between control and frontal stealth.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom