What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

Thrust vectoring isn't always an advantage, most aircraft don't even bother with it mostly due to maintenance issues. At this point I believe the TVC rumour mostly stems from fanboy sources.

I recall reading a news article in which it was reported that ex-Air Chief Tanvir M. Ahmad mentioned FC-20 was chosen from "dozens of other candidates" partly due to its "use of advanced Russian engines with thrust vectoring." Can somebody find this news article? Pretty sure its here somewhere, I remember it cos an Indian poster on World Affairs Board was making fun of the Air Chief for saying "dozens of other candidates"... he added a sarcastic comment, something like "a dozen, nay, a double dozen candidates!"

Munir, if it is true, then FC-20 has conformal fuel tanks - I certainly did not know that. Can you tell me more about the implications of this feature? Is it for boosting loitering time or range? Is it to make FC-20 a strike platform (shouldn't this job be done by ALCMs?) or a CAP fighter for defending AEW/Cs, refuellers and other PAF force multipliers from attack (shouldn't this job be done by JF-17?).
(Also, can you tell us anything on the Naar UCAV you mentioned in another post, or do we have to wait for the 2 months?)

Thanks a lot to everyone for appreciating my work. It means a lot. I should have been studying for my exams, but I was hooked onto it for hours (its addictive!).
Good luck with those exams!
Thanks hj786 for posting that. Since you seem to be a frequent visitor to that forum, how reliable, according to you, is this source?
Not reliable at the moment, waiting to see what Crobato and TPHuang say about it. I dunno, if FC-20 was to have conformal fuel tanks, why weren't they seen on the J-10B prototypes? We have seen everything else though, except perhaps the TVC engines. Maybe the CFTs and TVC engines will come later.
If the J-10B does have thrust vectoring, I can no longer think of anything that would give the Su-30MKI an advantage over the J-10B (except for payload and distance), but even those advantages can be mitigated through numberical deployment and A2A refuelling.
TVC still isn't combat proven, I'd rather see that money sunk into ramjet BVRAAMs like MBDA Meteor and seekers that combine radar homing and IR guidance to get around the problems of both, particularly the ECM problem for radar homing missiles. TVC might give PAF a small advantage in 1v1 fights, but a superior BVR missile will be far more devastating to enemy air forces.

Last edited:
DOZENS (more than or at-least 24) of other candidates? Realistically speaking, what other option PAF had besides F-16s?

F-22 = No, not available to PAF
F-35 = No, not available to PAF
F-18 = No, not available to PAF
F-15 = No, not available to PAF
F-16 Block 52+ = Yes, lots of strings attached
Grippen = Maybe, but strings attached
Typhoon = No, too expensive
Mirage 2000 = Yes, mystery surrounds the M2K issue
Rafael = No, too expensive
J-11 = No, not available to PAF
J-10 = Yes

This list includes fewer than one dozen aircrafts, God knows from where the DOZEN OF OTHER CANDIDATES came from.

My understanding is, ACM would have never made this statement, if he made, it has been altered by the journalist who reported that.

According to the Russian Aviation and Hong Kong website reported that the Chinese Chengdu Aircraft Industry Group (CAC) has started production of the F-type two-seater fighter aircraft -10 - F-10B. When its exports to Pakistan will be the name of FC-20.

And the People's Liberation Army Air Force active duty compared to the F-10A, F-10B will be equipped with thrust vector control engines, the fuselage will also be installed on both sides with the United States F-16 Block 60 similar conformal fuel tanks. Published photos from the current point of view, the F-10B on both sides of the fuselage had extra antenna, which shows that, CAC has been for the replacement of a new type of radio electronic equipment. Experts have speculated that the F-10B will be equipped with active phased array radar.

DOZENS (more than or at-least 24) of other candidates? Realistically speaking, what other option PAF had besides F-16s?

F-22 = No, not available to PAF
F-35 = No, not available to PAF
F-18 = No, not available to PAF
F-15 = No, not available to PAF
F-16 Block 52+ = Yes, lots of strings attached
Grippen = Maybe, but strings attached
Typhoon = No, too expensive
Mirage 2000 = Yes, mystery surrounds the M2K issue
Rafael = No, too expensive
J-11 = No, not available to PAF
J-10 = Yes

This list includes fewer than one dozen aircrafts, God knows from where the DOZEN OF OTHER CANDIDATES came from.

My understanding is, ACM would have never made this statement, if he made, it has been altered by the journalist who reported that.

Please excuse our journalists...their head goes dumb when it comes to numbers or anything technical. That's what you get when a journalist gets a job because he is someone's chacha/mama/bhatija/bhanja rather then on merit.

btw, F-18 not available to PAF, correct me if I miss something but did we ever request any of those? it seems the USAF preferred the F-16 over the F-18 (which was preferred by the navy) so presumably the F-16s are more suitable for us too. And we do not operate an aircraft carrier.

With our current F-16, I don't think PAF would consider buying F-18 irrespective of whether they are available or not.

hello guys

seems to be some hot discussions going on about VECTORED THRUST CONTROL

ok any aircraft for that matter including the mki will defenately be more maintainance intensive because of the number of parts involved in the TVC setup ...remember it will not directly affect the engine performance ...reports of it affecting is just BS ...as the TVC kit will just deflect the thrust or the exhaust gasses coming out of the engines ....this setup is just the next level of exhaust nozzles present on any after burning turbofan engines ...hence it will not hinder performance of any aircraft engine ....one more thing is that the russian TVC setup comes as kits to the engines ..these kits can be installed on any engine the kit is designed for even the decade old russian aircrafts can be fitted with them ..but it will require changes in the avionics systems thats anothe issue ...it there are MECHANICAL problems regarding TVC we can just remove the faulty kit and install a new one ...hence i dont think it will be much of a bothering issue

:cheers:

Pakistan's air force picked the FC-20 from dozens of candidates as it adapted Russian engines with the most advanced thrust vectoring technology, the general said.

Pakistan to introduce 36 China-made fighter planes | Pakistan Daily

Thanks for posting that link Mark. A fellow called Jawad on sinodefence forum has pointed out that in another interview, CAS said FC-20 would not need CFT because it already has large fuel tanks, which when combined with aerial refuelling give enough range. I'm certain that interview is around here somewhere too. So we have one for and one against the above source posted at sinodefence?

Published photos from the current point of view, the F-10B on both sides of the fuselage had extra antenna, which shows that, CAC has been for the replacement of a new type of radio electronic equipment.
Does this means counter measure / jammers?

No mention of the IRST sensors, shown on the pictures? optical tracking system can be considered as big plus!

Over all J10-B will be more stealth, more manuevarable, better engine, more sensors, better radar, more wepon pods....

And most of above count down has started!

Does this means counter measure / jammers?

No mention of the IRST sensors, shown on the pictures? optical tracking system can be considered as big plus!

Over all J10-B will be more stealth, more manuevarable, better engine, more sensors, better radar, more wepon pods....

And most of above count down has started!

It could be referring to secure and uninterrupted radio communication.

ok so i think there is new j-10b out according to pictures i dont know if its fake or not but i'll assume its real. anyway discuss info on j-10b like radar, engine, new avionics, etc...

oh and plx plx dont post fanboy stuff that will take 5-10 years to happen like aesa, tvc, supercruise, stealth, etc... UNLESS you have a credible source (not local or chinese media either). truth is china hasn't mastered engine technology yet the ws-10 is a start but they are almost a decade or 2 away from ingenious tvc or supercruise engine, and aesa radar is most likely 5 years away for china only country that has aesa atm is the USA.

so let me start by saying that the j-10b is expected to have an al-31 engine or an ws-10 most likely it'll be ws-10.

so can someone tell me the benefits of this engine over the al-31?

New here and so many opinions huh? right since we can't use Chinese sources which ones should we use? Martian? Indian?

Now you must have some special sources because you are ruling everything out then expect us to come up with discussion topics?

Heres a Idea for you........The stealth CAn be discussed as the features shown in the picture give the aircraft more LO features.

The Chinese have been developing the WS-10 since 1998 and it was shown with TVC (there are 4 versions of the engine) on Chinese television in 2002
in fact the Chinese have been tinkering with engines for a while and may have learned a few things (after all their students are known to be quite bright)

As for radar that is merely conjecture but the first radar in the JF-17 is a Chinese one and that was chosen over Western ones that should tell you how quickly the Chinese have progressed.

Do some more reading then come back....

Lemme see what we have here. A Canadian using a Bengali flag and posting from Kalamazoo (US), asking us to refrain from fanboys stuff but seems to have more insight in the timeframe of the J-10B's development than most of D.Pk's experts all together....my guess is that we have a genius here, probably named Gupta or Singh! :enjoy:

naaah Neo its a nitwit we have banned a few times he keeps coming back with the same Crap........lol I should have checked before I replied to the fool.

Back
Top Bottom