What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

Now the J-10A, B has been deployed at the North East area of China, the whole Korean peninsula is pretty much within striking distance (J-10A\B已部署在东北,作战范围可覆盖朝鲜半岛大部)
必要时可以携带精确制导武器,摧毁朝鲜核试验场和地下核工厂,保护东北环境安全!
L4JKYeC.jpg
3IfTx5h.jpg
l6WxIYf.jpg

Imo a not reliable report ... Neither does the first image show a conformal tank nor have we ever seen any on a J-10.
The pic leaked out in the internet actually is way behind the deployment.
China has strictly security system in the millitary institution.

I used to work at state-run aerospace institution for a couple of years.
Although i didn't engage in the J-10 project, in my experience, it's normal that J-10 would has a comformal tank, cause when China make up its design, the latest US design is the aim to catch up with. In one word, China is trying his best to persue what the US owe, meanwhile developing his own asymmetric warfare tech.
To be honest, these things we saw right now was layout a dozent years ago.

Last edited:
The pic leaked out in the internet actually is way behind the deployment.
China has strictly security system in the millitary institution.

I used to work at state-run aerospace institution for a couple of years.
I have to say these scientists and techinians and engineers are the ridgepole of China.
They sacrifice too much.
I gave up a relationship with a girl who has foreign descent due to security system.

So You want to say this report - IMO still unreliable and false from an unknown source (IMO most likely a Russian one) - is correct and only due to China's strict security system we haven't seen a CFT on a J-10B/C ?

So You want to say this report - IMO still unreliable and false from an unknown source (IMO most likely a Russian one) - is correct and only due to China's strict security system we haven't seen a CFT on a J-10B/C ?
Sorry, I am not engaged in the J-10 project ,so i can not give you the answer.
But in my experience, the aim of China is US.
If US fighter use a CFT which means it really matters, then China would do it either.
China is really the biggest fan of US, cause US army has the most experience of combat.

Imo a not reliable report ... Neither does the first image show a conformal tank nor have we ever seen any on a J-10.

Conformal tank in J-10C look like this:

upload_2017-6-19_7-25-15.jpeg

Ground crew handling the Conformal fuel tanks (CFT) of an F-15E

upload_2017-6-19_7-24-31.jpeg

F-15E fitted with conformal fuel tanks under the wing roots.

J-10C coated with a gray coating with conformal tank.jpg

Conformal fuel tanks have often look like drop tanks, different is they cannot be discarded (drop/release) in flight, because they are plumbed into the aircraft and so can only be removed on the ground. wikipedia

Last edited:
Do You mean this post seriously !??? These are no CFT even more since this is a faked or modified Wiki-report since it misses the main issue: being conformal !

Conformal fuel tanks (CFTs) are additional fuel tanks fitted closely to the profile of an aircraft that extend either the range or "time on station" of the aircraft. CFTs have a reduced aerodynamic penalty compared to external drop tanks, and do not significantly increase an aircraft's radar cross-section. Another advantage of CFTs provide is that they do not occupy ordnance hardpoints like drop tanks, allowing the aircraft to carry its full payload.

Conformal tank in J-10C look like this:
View attachment 405009
Conformal fuel tanks have often look like drop tanks, different is they cannot be discarded (drop/release) in flight, because they are plumbed into the aircraft and so can only be removed on the ground. wikipedia.

In contrast to Your quote, the original Wiki-part is correct: via: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conformal_fuel_tank

Conformal fuel tanks have the disadvantage that, unlike drop tanks, they cannot be discarded in flight, because they are plumbed into the aircraft and so can only be removed on the ground. As a result, they will impose a slight drag-penalty and minor weight gain on the aircraft even when the tanks are empty, without any benefit. They can also impose slight g-load limits, although not always an absolute issue, the CFTs on the F-15E actually allow the same maneuverability without g-limitations.

As such I'm not sure which idiot edited the Wiki-text and tried to show us an ordinary drop tank as being a CFT ?!

Deino

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom