What's new

Chengdu J-10 Multirole Fighter Air Craft News & Discussions

Hi,

The first thing is that with the WS10 engine---being newest production engine & technology---the fuel consumption would be lower---so off course better loiter time.

Again the chinese should look into other options that than conformal fuel tanks.

The first option again is the squarish fuel tank from the Gripen NG----by default of its design---a square carries more fluid that a circle.

With the WS10 engine---I won't be surprised if the fuel mileage increase be 10-20% better than before.

View attachment 304433
Man you know China has the habit of copying anything that will reinforce our ability:enjoy:. Said J10d developed by 611 use a typical way to increase the range of J10.

Last edited:
Man you know China has the habit of copying anything that will reinforce our ability:enjoy:. Said J10d developed by 611 use a typical way to increase the range of J10.
Imitation is the first step of learning. All babies know that. China is simply being honest and pragmatic. There is no shame in it.

J-10-crash-footage-1.jpg

PLAAF%2BMigratory%2Bbird%2Bhit%2Bcaused%2BJ-10%2Bcrash%2B1.jpg

J-10-crash-footage-2.jpg

Can you identify this is WS-10 or AL-31FN ? @Deino

J-10-crash-footage-1.jpg

PLAAF%2BMigratory%2Bbird%2Bhit%2Bcaused%2BJ-10%2Bcrash%2B1.jpg

J-10-crash-footage-2.jpg

Can you identify this is WS-10 or AL-31FN ? @Deino

AL-31FN

This is the engine of the J-10SH biplace of PLA Navy East Fleet, crashed last year in Decembre. The engine inhaled a duck.

For the 16 incidents (class 1, 2 or 3) of J-10 / J-10A / J-10S that I recorded so far (included yesterday one) since 2005, at least 7 are due to engine issue (5 cases of engine stopped, 2 cases of engine rotation speed slowed down). 3 others because the engine inhaled bird.

Henri K.

Last edited:
AL-31FN

This is the engine of the J-10SH biplace of PLA Navy East Fleet, crashed last year in Decembre. The engine inhaled a duck.

For the 16 incidents (class 1, 2 or 3) of J-10 / J-10A / J-10S that I recorded so far (included yesterday one) since 2005, at least 7 are due to engine issue (5 cases of engine stopped, 2 cases of engine rotation speed slowed down). 3 others because the engine inhaled bird.

Henri K.

No WS-10 spotted ?

any domestic engine for J10 now?

At least 1 prototype for J-10 / J-10A, number 1004, and at least 4 J-10B/C (Prototypes + ??)

vkBSAXN.jpg

The last photo I got on operationnal J-10B with WS-10B is this one, the reference of this fighter seems to start with 7xxxx but I can't read it clearly :

5Z7FHxF.jpg

And, the factory that produces WS-10 is enlarging it's production capacity, according to the last annual financial report of AVIC Aviation Engine Corporation. A total of 1.6 billion of Yuan is planned and invested for this enhancement.

http://www.cninfo.com.cn/finalpage/2016-04-22/1202218680.PDF

4SjygLq.png

Henri K.

AL-31FN

Henri K.
AL31 F can't be trusted, it's too old and has very serious faulty design problem.

By the way ... any confirmation, what type yesterday crashed ??

Concerning the text in that report it came down at Taizhou ...

Firefighters work to put out a fire in a factory in Taizhou, east China's Zhejiang Province after a fighter jet crashed there on Wednesday evening, May 11, 2016.
http://english.cri.cn/12394/2016/05/11/3821s927305.htm

The closest base to Taizhou is Huangyan/Luqiao (ZSLQ) also known as Taizhou (Pos: 28°33'45"N 121°25'44"E), where the 4. Naval Division, 12. AR equipped with J-10AH/SH is flying.

So another J-10 down ??

Deino

WS10b is far more delicate design and more reliable. We shall not buy AL31FN anymore, it is not up to mark especially for a single engine fighter.

Sorry to nit-pick again - and I know I'm probably alone with this standpoint against a few well-known WS-10-supporter - but so far we have four WS-10-powered J-10 against several hundreds of AL-31FN powered ones. IMO this simply excludes a final statement about reliability issues since these four birds (1004, 1035 and the most recent two 1-54 & 1-55) are pure test birds assigned to the CFTE and FTTC, whereas all others are front-line operational birds.
And again to compare the accident or failure rate of WS-10-powered J-11Bs with AL-31FN-powered J-10As is also not possible.

Overall however I agree with You, that the future lies in the Taihang for the J-10.
Deino

Back
Top Bottom