What's new

Cheetahs reintroduced in Indian wildlife 70 years after extinction

INS_Vikrant

Reaction score
Country
India

The special chartered cargo flight, carrying 8 cheetahs from Namibia, landed at the Indian Air Force Station in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh. A tiger-faced B747 Jumbo jet was used to ferry eight cheetahs from Namibia, who will be introduced into the Indian wildlife by Prime Minister Narendra Modi .The introduction of the fastest land animal in India is being done under Project Cheetah, which is world's first inter-continental large wild carnivore translocation project, said a statement issued by the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) on Thursday. Stay tuned with India Today for all live updates.​

The special chartered cargo flight, carrying 8 cheetahs from Namibia, landed at the Indian Air Force Station in Gwalior, Madhya Pradesh. A tiger-faced B747 Jumbo jet was used to ferry eight cheetahs from Namibia, who will be introduced into the Indian wildlife by Prime Minister Narendra Modi .The introduction of the fastest land animal in India is being done under Project Cheetah, which is world's first inter-continental large wild carnivore translocation project, said a statement issued by the Prime Minister's Office (PMO) on Thursday. Stay tuned with India Today for all live updates.​

Hope!! All 40 cheetah will come on time.. A big hope..

They’re African Cheetahs not the Asiatic Cheetahs we once used to have 🙁.

Yes, Iran denied to transfer a long ago.

If I am remember correctly, Iran wanted Asiatic Lions in exchange for them, however Gujarat state govt is very reluctant even to hand a few to other Indian states so no way they were gonna send it to Iran. Only recently due to threat of extinction from floods or epidemic Gujarat govt under pressure transferred some of them to MP.

Last edited:
I think we should have handled this way better, this is a complete shit show. Some experts cautioned about this, but I never thought it will be such a tragedy. Does anyone even know the names of these cheetahs? We should have raised awareness among kids and population about wildlife through this project. Now it's just another shit show.

I think we should have handled this way better, this is a complete shit show. Some experts cautioned about this, but I never thought it will be such a tragedy. Does anyone even know the names of these cheetahs? We should have raised awareness among kids and population about wildlife through this project. Now it's just another shit show.
Theres not enough forest land in India to support Cheetah, all the time you hear of leapords venturing into villages and getting killed. Moreover the summer climate is unsuitable for these African cheetahs. They are planning to bring in 20 more, hopefully the south africans would cancel that and also the alive cheetahs should be captured and sent back. India should build more cow shed instead, this is no country for cheetah.

why do you need Cheetahs ?

I don't think anyone ever felt a 'need' for cheetahs. It was just a birthday gift for Modiji.
I think everyone felt 'okay' when they Cheetahs arrived, obviously there was also political angle associated with that. Now with them falling ill/dead at such a rate makes everyone question the decision.

I don't think anyone ever felt a 'need' for cheetahs. It was just a birthday gift for Modiji.
I think everyone felt 'okay' when they Cheetahs arrived, obviously there was also political angle associated with that. Now with them falling ill/dead at such a rate makes everyone question the decision.

Cheetah chose to die rather than suffer a lifetime in India. If Cheetah had a choice, it would have fled to the west like hundreds of thousands of Indians do every year...Cow is the only animal that wants to remain in India because they rule the streets here.

cow-k5ND--621x414@LiveMint.JPG

Cheetah chose to die rather than suffer a lifetime in India. If Cheetah had a choice, it would have fled to the west like hundreds of thousands of Indians do every year...Cow is the only animal that wants to remain in India because they rule the streets here.

cow-k5ND--621x414@LiveMint.JPG
I thought there were a lot of dogs

Back
Top Bottom