What's new

Chatgaiya language

sidr

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Hi

Is Chatgaiya a language or dialect?

I am curious to know about other languages and dialects of Bangladesh.

"Chatgaya", is an Indo-Aryan language spoken by the people of Chittagong in Bangladesh and in much of the southeast of the country. It is closely related to Bengali–Assamese and is often considered to be a non-standard dialect of Bengali, although it is not mutually intelligible with it.[4] It is estimated (2009) that Chittagonian has 13 million speakers, principally in Bangladesh[5] and the United States.

I do know how to read from wikipedia.I am looking for answers from experienced/ knowledgeable people.Thanks anyways.
BTW,if its a language,why isn't it recognised as one?

Hi

Its a dialect, which sounds quite different from other Bengali dialects.

Hi

It's debatable whether it's a dialect or an a language of its own While native speakers consider it a dialect, linguists treat it as seperate language.

Alright,I am not so sure about Chatgaiya because I am not familiar with that.
But I am sure that my language(Sylheti) isn't bengali or its dialect.It originated from the same source of other Indian languages.
All my life I was taught that Bengali is my mother language and mine is the "Oshuddho" form of Bangla.I believed that till I started digging up dirt.The truth is its a lie.
The power of propaganda is wonderful.
What broke India is religion,why did we joined Pakistan?of course because of religion.What unite us?religion,not bengali nationalism.

Don't get me wrong,its not about superiority/inferiority thing.What bothers me is,we are believing in wrong information and being labelled what we're not.

Alright,I am not so sure about Chatgaiya because I am not familiar with that.
But I am sure that my language(Sylheti) isn't bengali or its dialect.It originated from the same source of other Indian languages.
All my life I was taught that Bengali is my mother language and mine is the "Oshuddho" form of Bangla.I believed that till I started digging up dirt.The truth is its a lie.
The power of propaganda is wonderful.
What broke India is religion,why did we joined Pakistan?of course because of religion.What unite us?religion,not bengali nationalism.

Don't get me wrong,its not about superiority/inferiority thing.What bothers me is,we are believing in wrong information and being labelled what we're not.

Okay I understand what you were trying to do back in some days. You are damn Bengali. You were in Assam region. Your people originated there same like other parts of Bengal. Through Sufi, Conversion, Mughals, Sultans, Migration. Bangla and Assamese languages are closely similar. In this group there are several dialects. Bangla standard dialects which was chosen for better understanding when Bengal was united. But these are equal.

Bengali dialects - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Assamese language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bengali–Assamese languages - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even Assamese can well call their language Bangla. Whom artificially named their language different and use Bangla script. You are nothing special Sylheti. You are Bengali. Its not because you talk in Bangla but born in Bangla.

You should dig more and more and find out that your brothers from other sides of border call themselves Bengali whom were left behind.

Now a separate Barak! -
bdnews24.com

You joined Pakistan because of similar religion and culture with rest of Bengal. Which strengthen during the shared struggle against Pakistan and you became more Bengali. Understood.

Last edited:
Okay I understand what you were trying to do back in some days. You are damn Bengali. You were in Assam region. Your people originated there same like other parts of Bengal. Through Sufi, Conversion, Mughals, Sultans, Migration. Bangla and Assamese languages are closely similar. In this group there are several dialects. Bangla standard dialects which was chosen for better understanding when Bengal was united. But these are equal.

Assamese language - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Even Assamese can well call their language Bangla. Whom artificially named their language different and use Bangla script. You are nothing special Sylheti. You are Bengali. Its not because you talk in Bangla but born in Bangla.

You should dig more and more and find out that your brothers from other sides of border call themselves Bengali whom were left behind.

Now a separate Barak! -
bdnews24.com

You joined Pakistan because of similar religion and culture with rest of Bengal. Which strengthen during the shared struggle against Pakistan and you became more Bengali. Understood.

I am Bangladeshi because I was born in Bangladesh.Bengali is a term for people who's native language is Bengali.
You're talking like Bengali is the mother of all languages.It didn't fall straight out of sky,it evolved from other languages.
Why does it sounds similar?Because it came from the same damn source.
I am not saying I am special Sylheti or something,don't make things up.
Assamese may call their language whatever they wish,fact is fact.

There's around 10% Bengali words in Sylheti(pure Sylheti,not Banglafied one),which I believe not even pure bengali,those were added from different language like arabi,persian,turks,english etc.
I find some words in Sylheti similar to Hindi/Urdu,not just bengali.
BTW,I can provide examples of differences/similarities between them if anyone wishes to know.

I am Bangladeshi because I was born in Bangladesh.Bengali is a term for people who's native language is Bengali.
You're talking like Bengali is the mother of all languages.It didn't fall straight out of sky,it evolved from other languages.

There's around 10% Bengali words in Sylheti(pure Sylheti,not Banglafied one),which I believe not even pure bengali,those were added from different language like arabi,persian,turks,english etc.
BTW,I can provide examples of differences/similarities between them if anyone wishes to know.
In my opinion us sylhetis are 101 percent Bengali people however I believe our language is different from Bengali as we had our own alphabets before called sylheti nagari, however all of this was destroyed and replaced with Bengali alphabet. I'd like to see examples of pure sylheti vs banglafied sylheti, if you can.

Look my Bengali friend, my points are simple. Bengal,Bangla and Bengali/Bangali are different things.

Bengal: Land. Which history dates back to thousands of years. Banga/Vanga/Bangala/Bangla/Bengal/Bangladesh

Bengali: Language. Which originated through Sanskrit and got shape in last 1000 years. This is not sure which is Bengali language. But what is spoken through the regions of Bengal and surrounding can be called Bangla. Different types of dialects. Should we name them different? And different scripts?

Bengali: People of Bengal. Whom are settled in Bengal in different time periods.

Most of the times we talk about the history of Bengal. But Sylhet and Chittagong has their own separate and shared history with Bengal. During Bengal Sultanate and Mughals, Arakan and Chittagong came closure to Bengal.

Sylhet which was part of Kamrup kingdom and sufi ruler also maintained good relation with the Bengal. So no history of collision with Mughal nawabs and sultans. That time they must have used some common language to interact. Like Persian.

But we lost our connection with Sylhet and Arakan during British rule. So that time we must have started this language differentiation. But in 20th century we were joined together again by creating East Bengal and Assam. So from that time we came more closure.

I say Im a Bengali for my thousands years of Bengal history not for the language and Bangladeshi is the identity which is perfectly aligned with Bengali nationalism.

Look my Bengali friend, my points are simple. Bengal,Bangla and Bengali/Bangali are different things.

Bengal: Land. Which history dates back to thousands of years. Banga/Vanga/Bangala/Bangla/Bengal/Bangladesh

Bengali: Language. Which originated through Sanskrit and got shape in last 1000 years. This is not sure which is Bengali language. But what is spoken through the regions of Bengal and surrounding can be called Bangla. Different types of dialects. Should we name them different? And different scripts?

Bengali: People of Bengal. Whom are settled in Bengal in different time periods.

Most of the times we talk about the history of Bengal. But Sylhet and Chittagong has their own separate and shared history with Bengal. During Bengal Sultanate and Mughals, Arakan and Chittagong came closure to Bengal.

Sylhet which was part of Kamrup kingdom and sufi ruler also maintained good relation with the Bengal. So no history of collision with Mughal nawabs and sultans. That time they must have used some common language to interact. Like Persian.

But we lost our connection with Sylhet and Arakan during British rule. So that time we must have started this language differentiation. But in 20th century we were joined together again by creating East Bengal and Assam. So from that time we came more closure.

I say Im a Bengali for my thousands years of Bengal history not for the language and Bangladeshi is the identity which is perfectly aligned with Bengali nationalism.
Technically,Bangla is a dialect of other language(s),but it was recognised as a language of its own.If Bangla can be recognised,why won't be others?Its disrespecting to get slapped in another language's arse where it doesn't belong.
If only living in Bangla makes you a Bengali,then all the tribes living in Bengal are Bengali.Do people call them Bengali? Hell no.Its the language that makes you Bengali.
You're somewhat correct in one sense,you can call yourself Bengali to refer that you've come from that area,just like any European person would refer that he's European.But that would create confusion in that case because people interpret Bengali as Bengali speaking person.
Using Bangladeshi as an identity solves all the problem.
I am not saying you're not Bengali,I am talking about people of Barak Valley and Chatgaiyas(again,I'm not sure about Chatgaiya)

I have nothing against Bangla,there's need of one single language which everyone can understand.I'm perfectly cool with its being the nationaI language.I have problem with people labeling my language as dialect and oshuddho form and who makes fun of it,there's nothing funny about it.

In my opinion us sylhetis are 101 percent Bengali people however I believe our language is different from Bengali as we had our own alphabets before called sylheti nagari, however all of this was destroyed and replaced with Bengali alphabet. I'd like to see examples of pure sylheti vs banglafied sylheti, if you can.
Its the language and culture that differentiate people,right? I believe race doesn't exist,we all came from the same source.
Gimme some words,sentences to translate,I'll try to show how similar are they to Hindi/Bangla.

BTW,Here's few words.

English - Bangla - Sylheti - Banglafied Sylheti

Morning - Shokal - Biyan - Shokal

Noon - Dupur - Madaan - Dufur

Afternoon - Bikal - Biyal - Bikal

Evening - Shondha - Hainja - Shoinda

Night - Raat - Rait - rait/raat

Sky - Aakash - Ashman - akash

Cloud - Megh - Haaz - Megh

Rain - Brishty - Meg - Brishty

Thunder - Bajra - Tha tha(Sorry can't write it properly in Englsih) - Baaj

Sweat - Gham - Fosina - Gam

Boy - Chele - Fua - Chele/Fua (Depends on the speaker)

Girl - Meye - Furi - Furi/Meye (Depends on the speaker)

Woman - Mohila - Beti - Beti/Mohila (Depends on the speaker)

Man - Purush - Beta - Beta/Purush (Depends on the speaker)

Fry - Bhaji - Biran - Bhaji/Biran (Depends on the speaker)

Now some sentence.
Come here - Obae aao - Edike Esho
Stand here - Ono ubao(Oobao) - Ekhane Darao
I can't - Ami fartam nae - Ami parbo na
It's raining heavily - Je meg der - Khub brishty porche
is it true? - Hasa ni? - Eta ki shotti
You are a stupid - Tui ekhta arua/biakhol - Tui ekta gadha

Now if you look at counting system,its almost same for Bangla/Hindi/Sylheti

I can write all days,so many of them,do let me know if you wish to know more.

My grandparents who were from Chittagong speak Chatgaiya amongst themselves. It's not too hard to understand for a Bengali speaker. I can usually get the gist of what they are saying without too much difficulty.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom