What's new

Channel Dash 1942

Depth limits for WW2 era naval mines? Any naval expert? @Penguin
Mine types:
images

Explained here: [backmatter] | NZETC

600px-Types_of_Naval_mine_001.svg.png

Types of naval mines: A-underwater, B-bottom, SS-submarine. 1-drifting mine, 2-drifting mine, 3-moored mine, 4-moored mine (short wire), 5-bottom mines, 6-torpedo mine/CAPTOR mine, 7-rising mine
Naval mine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

IMHO, drifting mines are independent of water depth.
e.g.
Oscillating mine
The mine is hydrostatically controlled to maintain a pre-set depth below the water's surface independently of the rise and fall of the tide.

Moored and bottom mines are depth dependent

Moored contact mines

Even during the Second World War, there were mines that could be moored in 300m-deep water

Bottom mines
Bottom mines are used when the water is no more than 60 meters (200 feet) deep or when mining for submarines down to around 200 meters (660 feet).

Last edited:
Most mines are automatic, but some harbor mines, controlled electrically by cable from shore, can be turned off to allow transit of friendly vessels. Moored mines are tethered to sinkers, and they float at predetermined depths generally to cut off particular areas. Traditionally they have been contact mines floating just below the water to damage surface ships that touch them, but more recently moored mines can serve as influence mines at depths of 3,000 feet or more against submarines. Ground or bottom mines are settled on the bottom in shallow waters such as rivers, harbors, and tidal areas to block their use, especially against amphibious invasion. In contrast to these stationary mines, a broad group of moving mines includes drifting and homing mines and deep‐water mobile and rising mines.
Mines, Naval – FREE Mines, Naval information | Encyclopedia.com: Find Mines, Naval research
3000 feet = 914 meters
for modern moored mines.

upload_2016-2-14_20-44-22.png

Some pictures

new.jpg

Gneisenau

HMSGlorious.jpg

Last known photo of HMS Glorious - U.S. Naval Historical Photograph

firing.jpg

Gneisenau firing on Glorious, taken from Scharnhorst

110.jpg

Bf-110s supporting the Kriegsmarine group in the channel...Flying low

Gneisenau ended it's life in Gotenhafen. As the Red Army approached, a decision was made to move the ship out and sink it to block the port entrance. She spent the next couple of years postwar rusting, partially submerged, before Poland ordered the ship removed and salvaged.

wreck1.jpg

Wrecked and destroyed - credit unknown

Gneisenau suffered an exciting life in war for a few years, but relentless air attack on her would doom her to years of inactivity. Surprisingly, her fate would be preferred to her sister Scharnhorst, who was chased down and lost near Norway in a foolish 1943 operation with only 36 survivors. Today an original 28cm turret still exists in Trondheim.

norwaygun1.jpg

Turret Caesar in Norway - credit Lars Erik Brattås 2004
@Desert Fox @DesertFox97 @Levina

Great Read!!

@Psychic Please do tag me in these articles.

And Can You write an article on Sinking of Bismarck and in the encounter The sinking Of HMS Hood.

Back
Top Bottom