What's new

Change of Command at TAF by all branches!

Neptune

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
n_51959_4.jpg

Speculation had grown theat the government did not approve Chief of Gendarmerie Forces General Bekir Kalyoncu's appointment as Land Forces Commander and become the next in line to replace the current Chief of General Staff Gen. Necdet Özel in 2015. AA photo

The Turkish government has removed from office all four force commanders of the army, including the Chief of Gendarmerie Forces General Bekir Kalyoncu, who was expected to be appointed to replace the current chief of the Land Forces according to customary practice. The Supreme Military Council’s (YAŞ) appointments shaping the commandment echelon of the army which was announced Aug. 3 following President Abdullah Gül’s approval, assigned Deputy Chief of the Turkish General Staff General Hulusi Akar as the new Land Forces Commander replacing General HayriKıvrıkoğlu, who was consigned to retirement.

The post is considered to be key as the Land Forces Commander is customarily the next in line to replace the current Chief of General Staff General Necdet Özel, who will be keeping his post until August 2015. Speculation had grown during the three-day Supreme Military Council meetings that Kalyoncu was not approved of by the government as his name was mentioned in testimonies by defendants in the Ergenekon case as a figure involved in operations aiming to organize a coup against the ruling Justice and Development Party (AKP) government.

Air Forces Commander Mehmet Erten was replaced by General Akın Öztürk, Naval Forces Commander Murat Bilgel was replaced by Admiral Bülent Bostanoğlu and General Kalyoncu was replaced by General Servet Yörük as the new Chief of Gendarmerie Forces. Admiral Bilgel was also put sent into retirement, along with Generals Kıvrıkoğlu and Kalyoncu. Meanwhile, General Erten was appointed as a member of the Supreme Military Council (YAŞ). The decision has been interpreted behind the scenes as a “polite way of forcing a resignation,” daily Hürriyet reported. Erten is expected to ask for his retirement within six months, the report added.

August/03/2013

POLITICS - Major sweep of Turkish top brass by the government

So it's the end of Military independence from the AKP? How will this affect the nation? I though Edogon learned something from the Gezi Park riots..

Now Erdogan has all of the power,even the armed forces is in his hands.
The police,judicial system,armed forces means Game Over!
Next time,welcome to Erdoganistan(instead of Turkish Republik).

Excuse my ignorance regarding this political trifling, I'm indeed referring to the Supreme Military Council’s (YAŞ) appointments. But how does this work out in other countries - does it belong to the regularities that politicians are involved in the entitling and assignment of military post or is this something unique to us only?

And so the sole TRUE protector of the free and secular Turkish Republic continues to be systematically dismantled. Call me one of those "Sky is falling" people, but I really feel that whether Erdogan gets re-elected or not, he has set in motion almost all of the tools needed for us to slowly fall into the trap that the Iranian and Egyptian people have fallen in to. Now be it in-fighting or religious oppression, Turkey is headed down a dark path.

As history and current events show, (unfortunately) you cannot have Islamic nations free and clear to vote for Islam vs Secularism/Liberalism because it always comes down to some sort of instability/oppression/downfall of a country. Religion needs to be forced out of politics and kept at bay as such. Theres a reason why Turkey has been stable thus far in its history without the use of oil money as compared to other Muslim states.

And so the sole TRUE protector of the free and secular Turkish Republic continues to be systematically dismantled. Call me one of those "Sky is falling" people, but I really feel that whether Erdogan gets re-elected or not, he has set in motion almost all of the tools needed for us to slowly fall into the trap that the Iranian and Egyptian people have fallen in to. Now be it in-fighting or religious oppression, Turkey is headed down a dark path.

As history and current events show, (unfortunately) you cannot have Islamic nations free and clear to vote for Islam vs Secularism/Liberalism because it always comes down to some sort of instability/oppression/downfall of a country. Religion needs to be forced out of politics and kept at bay as such. Theres a reason why Turkey has been stable thus far in its history without the use of oil money as compared to other Muslim states.

Egyptians did not fall into this , Mursi was kicked out by the Egyptian people only a month ago , the Army back in Egypt is quite powerful and has its supporters , never to forget that 15% of Egypt is christian and another 25% are sufi muslims , both of these religious groups despise political islam and are allied with the army .

Both Turkey and Iran do not have a large non muslim minority like Egypt , but again we cant say for granted erdo took over turkey for good , but i am afraid he has achieved a lot in turning turkey into a one party country.

WTF is wrong with erdogon? Can he not see the faluires of political islam for the past 40 years?

Egyptians did not fall into this , Mursi was kicked out by the Egyptian people only a month ago , the Army back in Egypt is quite powerful and has its supporters , never to forget that 15% of Egypt is christian and another 25% are sufi muslims , both of these religious groups despise political islam and are allied with the army .

Both Turkey and Iran do not have a large non muslim minority like Egypt , but again we cant say for granted erdo took over turkey for good , but i am afraid he has achieved a lot in turning turkey into a one party country.

What's the future of the Middle-East like in your opinion?

Upon the statement of Supreme Military Council

Chief of the Generals Staff, Gen. Necdet ÖZEL:

Necdet_Özel_GnKur.jpg

Land Forces Commander, Gen. Hulusi AKAR:

09cdbe9d3db82945813237d4f5259502.jpg.thumb_700.jpg

Air Forces Commander, Gen. Akın ÖZTÜRK:

korg_akin_ozturk.jpg

Naval Forces Commander, Adm. Bülent BOSTANOĞLU:

tsknin-komuta-kademesinde-atamasi-yapilan-komutanlarin-biyografileri-IHA-20130803AW000418-1-t.jpg

General Commander of Gendarmerie, Gen. Servet YÖRÜK:

6788.jpg

General Commander of the Coast Guard, Adm. Adnan ÖZBAL

vesikalik.jpg

So @Neptune,what does this mean?
Has he got all of the power or not?

Last edited by a moderator:
So @Neptune,what does this mean?
Has he got all of the power or not?

not exactly mate. He may have ÖZEL in his pocket. I don't know the air force but the Army, Navy, Coast Guard... Are still commanded by true generals. Even if he broughts the presidency to Turkey, he'll never be able to control the military never...but as he do now. He can just rewrite the Domestic Code of TAF.

Last edited by a moderator:
Baykuş;4596888 said:
Excuse my ignorance regarding this political trifling, I'm indeed referring to the Supreme Military Council’s (YAŞ) appointments. But how does this work out in other countries - does it belong to the regularities that politicians are involved in the entitling and assignment of military post or is this something unique to us only?

Well I live in the USA and it's my understanding that the President of the USA has the final say on military appointments, so it's normal. It just seems out of the ordinary in Turkey I guess because there is a power struggle, whereas in other countries it's accepted as routine.

Back
Top Bottom