What's new

Cashing In on Pilgrims’ Religious Fervor

Cheetah786

PDF VETERAN
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
MAKKAH, 4 January 2007 — Cashing in on some pilgrims’ religious fervor, gullibility and lack of Islamic knowledge, many of Makkah’s overstayers and some Saudis have been quick this year to make money through means that can be best described as unethical.

Such people are known to gather at places frequented by pilgrims — many of whom are on a once-in-a-life-time journey to Saudi Arabia — and try to make a quick buck or two by selling mundane items, while attributing to them a sense of false religious significance.

The Cave of Hera — the place where Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) remained in solitude prior to being given his mission to preach Islam, the Cave of Thawr — the place where the Prophet (peace be upon him) took refuge while fleeing Makkah for Madinah, and the Al-Bay’at Mosque-where the first Muslims from Madinah pledged an oath of allegiance to the Prophet (peace be upon him), are just some of the dozens of places frequented by unscrupulous modern-day con merchants.

They offer stones, claiming they originate in Hera or Thawr, and cheaply-made Chinese-manufactured goods, claiming them to be locally manufactured in the holy cities and attributing to them a sort of religious significance, which simpleton pilgrims, often from rural areas, pick up as a memoir of their blessed journey to the holy land. Bakr Dee, a Nigerian pilgrim, told Arab News that for years he dreamed of visiting the holy cities of Makkah and Madinah. “I met a man near the Grand Mosque who showed me some stones and claimed they originated from the Cave of Thawr,” he said with a sparkle in his eyes. Dee was convinced that the man had sold him something unique.

“He told me that these stones are blessed and would bring good luck to me and my family. Having something from such holy places where the Prophet (peace be upon him) worshipped is something blessed and something that would bless me for life. I believe this will bring me happiness and more money,” he added.

The case of Bakr Dee is not unique. Many local people take advantage of simple pilgrims-who are often overwhelmed by the religious significance of the holy land and lack religious knowledge-and sell them all sort of items. In addition, some pilgrims come entertaining wrong ideas.

Ahmad Mash’houri, a pilgrim from an Asian country, told Arab New that he came to Makkah with a wish to die climbing the Mountain of Noor on whose peaks sits the Cave of Hera.

“I know that the mountain is very difficult to climb. It doesn’t matter if I fall to my death because I know I’ll be going to heaven after that,” he said, adding that he feels blessed being able to tread in the footsteps of the Prophet (peace be upon him).

Workers at the Grand Mosque reported an abundance of pilgrims hugging them and rubbing their bodies with them, seeking blessings as they work in the Grand Mosque.

“They think we’re the people of the Kaabah and so come and rub their hands over us to gain blessings,” said a cleaner in the Grand Mosque.

“We ask them why and they say to gain blessings. I’ve got to respect their devotion and love for the Grand Mosque and Islamic sites. Yes, some go overboard, but us local residents need to think hard. Look how much respect and love these people have for something that we take for granted,” the worker added.

“Some pilgrims write the names of their loved ones on the walls of the Grand Mosque and even on the Kaabah. They write the names of dead relatives on the walls of the Grand Mosque and Kaabah seeking blessing for them,” he added.

An official from the Grand Mosque said that pilgrims have been known to even wash their faces and bodies with water used to clean the mosque’s floors.

“They think this is a praiseworthy and beneficial thing, however, they fail to realize that this can put their health at risk,” said the official, who asked his name not be published.

“Many cleaners report apparatus missing. We’ve found out that brushes and the like are broken into pieces and taken back to their homes as a source of blessing,” he said, adding, “some pilgrims bring their sick children and loved ones to the Kaabah and rub them there in order to heal them. Some people are also known to lick the black stone and then lick their injuries thinking that would heal them.”
Cashing In on Pilgrims’ Religious Fervor

We Muslims have no one to blame for our down fall then ourselves. This article is another example of how we take advantage of our own people. When we ourselves take advantage of our brothers and sisters, then the people outside will definitely take advantage of us. This is so shameful. If we dont get our acts together we will become slaves. Allama Iqbal once said "I have seen in the history of the Mussalmans that it is not the Mussalmans that have saved Islam, but Islam that has saved the Mussalmans."

Back
Top Bottom