Careem goes to India in hunt for 100 engineers

proud_indian

Reaction score
Country
India
Careem goes to India in hunt for 100 engineers

Published: February 24, 2017
1337690-careem-1487925509-676-640x480.jpg
“We are looking to hire over 100 software engineers and data scientists for Careem’s research and development centers in Dubai and Berlin,” says Careem spokesperson Emma Dourad.

A billion-dollar ride-hailing company wants to hire 100 engineers. Where better to hunt for tech talent than in India! A million engineers graduate from India’s engineering colleges every year. And the best tech companies of the world – Google, Microsoft, and Adobe – have Indians at their helms. That’s why Dubai’s Careem, which operates in 11 countries outside India, is coming to Bangalore on February 25.

“We are looking to hire over 100 software engineers and data scientists for Careem’s research and development centers in Dubai and Berlin,” Careem spokesperson Emma Dourado tells Tech in Asia. For this, Careem is planning to host hackathons in India.

Bangalore’s
Venturesity is conducting Careem’s first hiring hackathon, named HaCareem, on February 25 and 26 at 91springboard in Koramangala. This will be a 24-hour hackathon.

Java, HTML, distributed systems, Spring, and Hibernate are the skillsets they want. All the developers who get hired will be placed in Dubai and Berlin.

“We are growing at a high rate and we need to scale our engineering capacity to solve challenges faced in the transportation industry. We are looking to hire globally, but we chose India as it is a growing hub for techies and we want to attract the best talent,” Emma says.

Five-year-old Careem is the youngest of ride-hailing unicorns. It announced an investment of
US$350 million from Japan’s Rakuten and Dubai’s Abraaj Capital in December. This was part of a US$500 million round – the rest of which hasn’t yet been disclosed in detail.

Careem’s hiring foray comes at a time when Indian consumer internet companies that bit off more than they could chew are laying off employees. Just today, ecommerce leader Snapdeal and fashion portal Yepme confirmed major cutbacks in operations and downsizing. So it’s an opportune time for those loking to hire tech talent.

Careem’s hiring hackathon in India is also the beginning of a trend, Venturesity co-founder and CEO Subhendu Panigrahi believes. “Companies from countries like Germany, Australia, Canada, and Dubai, where visa regulations aren’t restrictive like in the US, will come to hire and take home talent from India. Careem’s hackathon is showing the beginning of that trend. We’re getting similar requests from other companies in Dubai,” Subhendu tells Tech in Asia.

“Because of the H1B visa curbs in the US, many American companies will find it tough to take talent home. So they will set up offices in India and hire tech talent to work from here for them,” he says.

It’s a good time to be a software engineer in India if Subhendu’s prediction comes true.

https://tribune.com.pk/story/1337690/careem-goes-india-hunt-100-engineers/

Good for us.
I think careem has operations in pakistan also..
What is the status and level of engineering colleges and students in pakistan?does government support it industry at root level..i mean at gromming students.?

Good for us.
I think careem has operations in pakistan also..
What is the status and level of engineering colleges and students in pakistan?does government support it industry at root level..i mean at gromming students.?
our universities only offer specialization in paint job. No other course offered here is worth mentioning.

our universities only offer specialization in paint job. No other course offered here is worth mentioning.
Thnx for ur honest ans.
But really expected something valuable for my knowledge.
Though no problem someone more knowledgeable on this matter will ans.thx

Thnx for ur honest ans.
But really expected something valuable for my knowledge.
Though no problem someone more knowledgeable on this matter will ans.thx
You are expecting too much from madrassah education system.

You are expecting too much from madrassah education system.
As if Beaconhouse , LUMS and NUST type things are all Madrassas.. If your dog will get constipated it will also be madrassa fault.
The truth is: Brain of Pakistan is draining. Phds are running away and Talented people are leaving the country at an unprecedented rate. Political quota, national quota system + corruption in induction systems is destroying every organization.
Pakistanis are teaching at MIT and Stanford sir, we are serving at NASA, we are not as bad as people think. The problem lies with the govt that is not willing to create a trust worthy environment.
The result is: Careem earns from Pakistan and hires Indians.

And you keep beating madrassas.

Some member on this forum were saying LUMS and NUST were better than IIT?
Those institutes are are planted by western (read Zionist) powers to spread 'anti-islamic' culture in Pakistan. That's why you will find most of the graduates from these universities living abroad. Some people in their nationalistic fervor are giving undue credit to Pakistan.

India is becoming the hub of talent. In next few years from now, it will be India vs rest of the world in talent in various fields. People often say that it is china VS India. It may be true in terms of manufacturing but substandard chinese education can never produce the talent like what India produces. This is just begining. All our engineering colleges are converted in high tech colleges in line with IITs. It will be India vs Rest and India will easily have uper hand.

You are underestimating China? I am as nationalist as anyone here, but don't discount China. Please visit Guangzhou and Shanghai once. You will understand what world class cities look like. Chinese universities are excellent.

You are underestimating China? I am as nationalist as anyone here, but don't discount China. Please visit Guangzhou and Shanghai once. You will understand what world class cities look like. Chinese universities are excellent.

I am not talking about cities. I am talking about the talent in various fields. Our talent in IT is the best in the world. We have a great talent in many other areas. We hardly need any experties in any area except the one I quoted.

Our talent in IT is the best in the world.
No. At best it is 'one of the best'.
An economy with a per capita income of $1800 cannot be at the cutting edge of any R&D.

Even in IT, our work here is not at the cutting edge of R&D. It is mainstream R&D and cutomizations. The IT work which can qualify as being 'best' in the world would be in Israel, US and ...even Canada to some extent.

No. At best it is 'one of the best'.
An economy with a per capita income of $1800 cannot be at the cutting edge of any R&D.

Even in IT, our work here is not at the cutting edge of R&D. It is mainstream R&D and cutomizations. The IT work which can qualify as being 'best' in the world would be in Israel, US and ...even Canada to some extent.

Our means Indian. It includes Indians working US also.

Well I have landed a offer from Careem, must say are in process into building a top notch team, there growth and future expansion plan looks promising.

The definition of IT in India include low paying call centers. China and the international community do not count to cc as part of IT. in fact China's IT industry is much bigger than India.
:lol:Ignorant.
IT sector is more dependent on Business Product Outsourcing and Call centers is only a fraction of it. Indian IT sector offer consultancy and support in development that's why you don't see made in India software but rather they support in software development. In specific coding, more like a back office job.

China has large IT sector because of manufacturing hardware products. Since it is a manufacturing hub.

Back
Top Bottom