What's new

Car bomb almost goes off in NYC

I am baffled by all this, what was this losers reason for trying to carry out such a shameful attack on the country which is rightfully his home.

Like the Nigerian guy who was head of islamic society in UCL, a check should be done on which mosque he visited and who were his acquaintances.

Cowards like this are a menace to the society.

Mayor Bloomberg has in the past categorically stated and appreciated the hard work, success, and contribution to his state by Pakistani immigrants and Pakistani-Americans; who are an integral, well-respected and hard-working group in New York.

just go to Coney Island ('Little Pakistan') or Astoria/Jackson Heights and you can see what I mean. Even in Wallstreet, we have many polished comrades who are actually doing extremely well and bringing good name to Pakistan.

one of the world's top anti-cancer experts is a Pakistani (Dr. Azra Raza); she resides in New York City and is very active with the Pakistani-American community

the mayor rightfully said there are a few bad apples among any groups. He also cited New York's long history of accepting cultures from the around the world.

obviously this is a greater nuissance to Pakistan than it is to U.S. I would ask my Pakistani comrades in the U.S. (especially NYC) to sit down with your colleages, friends, or even bystanders --and explain to them (rather remind them) that Pakistan itself faces such cowardly attacks and attack attempts. It's a war that knows no bounds, but such people who commit such crimes do not represent the country.

New Yorkers have so much exposure to Pakistani peoples, and they are a pretty strong people. They are educated enough to understand, i think. Work hard to lobby for, and project the true image of Pakistan....not the one that media (especially indian media) wants you to hear

Mayor Bloomberg has in the past categorically stated and appreciated the hard work, success, and contribution to his state by Pakistani immigrants and Pakistani-Americans; who are an integral, well-respected and hard-working group in New York.

just go to Coney Island ('Little Pakistan') or Astoria/Jackson Heights and you can see what I mean. Even in Wallstreet, we have many polished comrades who are actually doing extremely well and bringing good name to Pakistan.

one of the world's top anti-cancer experts is a Pakistani (Dr. Azra Raza); she resides in New York City and is very active with the Pakistani-American community

the mayor rightfully said there are a few bad apples among any groups. He also cited New York's long history of accepting cultures from the around the world.

obviously this is a greater nuissance to Pakistan than it is to U.S. I would ask my Pakistani comrades in the U.S. (especially NYC) to sit down with your colleages, friends, or even bystanders --and explain to them (rather remind them) that Pakistan itself faces such cowardly attacks and attack attempts. It's a war that knows know bounds, but such people who commit such crimes do not represent the country.

New Yorkers have so much exposure to Pakistani peoples, and they are a strong people. They are educated enough to understand, i think.

Good prayer, I hope Americans listen.

obviously this is a greater nuissance to Pakistan than it is to U.S. I would ask my Pakistani comrades in the U.S. (especially NYC) to sit down with your colleages, friends, or even bystanders --and explain to them (rather remind them) that Pakistan itself faces such cowardly attacks and attack attempts. It's a war that knows no bounds, but such people who commit such crimes do not represent the country.

New Yorkers have so much exposure to Pakistani peoples, and they are a pretty strong people. They are educated enough to understand, i think. Work hard to lobby for, and project the true image of Pakistan....not the one that media (especially indian media) wants you to hear
you're right, actually Americans and esp. NYers are way more friendlier and easier in getting along with other communities and races than I'd say any other country and people in the world.

---------- Post added at 09:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:42 PM ----------

Go to the gym and lift weights and learn Mixed Martial Arts. You watch UFC over there?

If you do this, I gurantee you will never have a problem or feel afraid again.

awesome.:tup: Will get to it right away.

New York is a business.

the inhabitants are workers in the business. We had one who had potential to grow; he wasted it.

so he's fired.

Business doesnt get affected, despite some unpleasant taste in the mouthes of many (mostly our own). Sanity will prevail. Inshallah.

In one of the most popular talk shows on US radio, Michael Savage - the talk show host - asked the US administration to "raise the temperature over Waziristan" to "Five thousand seven hundred degrees". And announce tomorrow that the US had "one less nuclear weapon" in its arsenal.

This ba$tard Times Square bomber has really damaged Pakistan and Pakistanis. The backlash in the US is unfortunately happening. May God protect innocent people of all faiths and backgrounds. I feel deeply for the Pakistanis in the US.

how was it ''india bashing''

not if you behave yourself and act responsibly, within the law.

those are just stereo-types. Doesnt change anything.

If somebody from ADB visits Pakistan to oversee an infrastructural project, he/she will not be dubbed a blackwater operative or CIA spy

its all about aspirations, intentions. The actions of a few do not represent many.

provided that there is security and construction/renovation goes on-time

Im sure if you read your own post, your sarcastic comment about Naxalites counts for India bashing and was totally uncalled for. I dont know what you know but the ground reality is very different. Even many Pakistan i know dont want to even visit their homeland because they are scared of coming under the scanner. One of my friends brothers visited Pakistan in 2009 and on his way back he was literally stopped at Pearson International Airport for almost 10 hours and very aggressively questioned about his trip. He was only in the country for 2 weeks but that shows you how its becoming very difficult for muslims to justify a trip to Pakistan even if it was only for business purposes. My whole point is constructive and i hope Pakistan is able to redo its image in the world as its becoming tougher and tougher for Pakistani citizens to get around. And in regards to Indian preparations, dont worry India can handle itself.

A Pakistani belonging to an elite military family, His Father is a retired Air Vice Marshall of the PAF and ex- head of CAA (Civil Aviation Authority) and his Father's brother is a retired? Inspector General of the Frontier Corps.

SHELTON -- Faisal Shahzad's Pakistani passport, tax documents, greeting cards, academic records and immigration documents were found abandoned outside a Shelton home once owned by the man charged in the attempted Times Square car bombing.

The documents, mainly from 2000 and 2001, were found Tuesday morning by a Connecticut Post reporter outside the house at 119 Long Hill Ave. where Shahzad lived until about a year ago. The house is vacant and up for sale.

Police earlier had searched the property, according to neighbors.

The papers, soaked from recent rain, paint a picture of the man police believe intended to set off a bomb housed in the Nissan Pathfinder he purchased recently from a Bridgeport woman off Craigslist. Shahzad lived at the small gray Colonial until about a year ago, neighbors said, and has since been empty and has a Realtor's lock box on the front door.

While the papers document many events in Shahzad's life, they don't say what would motivate the 30-year-old naturalized citizen allegedly to want to cause mass destruction and injuries in the heart of New York City.

Cards from "Fayeza" wish him a happy birthday and express their love for him. A small child bearing flowers graces the front of one card that Fayeza signs, "from a friend who really cares a lot for you!"

A second card adorned with teddy bears declares "However hard I try, I just can't hide my love for you" and is signed "with lots and lots of love."

Another card Fayeza sent to "Sweetest Faisal" -- "You are there, I am here, You know what that means? One of us is in the wrong place!" It's signed "Wish you happiness and joy now and always. Praying for your bright future."

Another card sent in May 1999 laments the fact that the senders haven't heard from him and are "eager to know how things are at your end." It is signed from Shezia, Chazi and Tashfan "with lots of love."

The copy of his Pakistani passport shows a picture of a serious-looking young man dressed in a suit and tie. It lists his occupation as a student and his religion as Muslim. The document expired in February 2000. A copy of one entry shows a stamp allowing entry into the United Kingdom good until June 4, 1996 and is stamped Karachi, Pakistan.

Included were transcripts of his grades from Southeastern University in Washington, D.C., which he attended in the late 1990s and where he took mostly business classes. He was at best a mediocre student, with his transcript peppered with Cs and Ds, and even an F in one class, basic statistics. His grade point average for the five semesters he attended between 1997 and 1998 was 2.78.

That was good enough to gain him transfer admission to the University of Bridgeport, where a Certificate of Eligibility for Non-immigrant Student Status shows he was awarded $6,700 in grant money to attend the school beginning in January 1999. The remaining $14,700 tuition was covered by "family funds," according to the document. He was studying for a bachelor's degree in marketing, the certificate says.

Tax returns show he earned a modest income -- his 2000 income, the year he earned his degree from UB, was $5,458. His 2001 return, when he was living on Linden Avenue in Bridgeport, lists his occupation as an account analyst, from which he earned a gross income of $22,650 with a refund of $1,135, which was directly deposited into his checking account at People's Bank.

Also in 2001, time cards show Shahzad worked for Accountants Inc., a temporary agency based in California. He spent most of his time working an average of four days a week at Elizabeth Arden in Stamford.

The Connecticut Post made the documents available to the FBI. By early afternoon, police and federal investigators were back at the Shelton home. The pile of papers in the backyard was much smaller than it was that morning.
Exclusive: Documents found near bomb suspect's former Shelton home - Connecticut Post

Pakistan is 'epicenter of Islamic terrorism'
"It's worth noting that even the terrorism that's often attributed to the war in Afghanistan tends to come out of Pakistan, to be planned by Pakistanis, to be funded from Pakistan or in some other way to be traced to Pakistan," said Zakaria. He added that Pakistan's connection with terrorist groups goes back decades and has often been encouraged by that nation's military for strategic reasons.

Faisal Shahzad, a 30-year-old naturalized citizen of Pakistani descent, had recently been trained in bomb making in Pakistan's Waziristan province, according to a federal complaint filed in court Tuesday. CNN reported Tuesday that Faisal Shahzad's father is a retired vice-marshal in the Pakistani Air Force.
Shahzad was arrested around 11:45 p.m. ET Monday at New York's John F. Kennedy International Airport just before he was to fly to Islamabad, Pakistan, by way of Dubai.
Pakistan is 'epicenter of Islamic terrorism' - CNN.com

NY bomb plot raises questions about Pak military-terror nexus

WASHINGTON: Long in thrall of the Pakistani military for geo-political reasons, Washington is finally starting to examine that institution's ties to terrorism following the discovery that failed Times Square bomber Faisal Shahzad also belongs to an elite 'fauji'/diplomatic family as did alleged Mumbai carnage facilitators David Headley and Tawassur Rana.

Initial reports describe Shahzad as the son of Air Vice Marshal (retd) Baharul Haq, who retired from the Pakistan Air Force in early 90's and later was a senior official in the country's Civil Aviation Authority (CAA). His uncle Maj. Gen. Tajul Haq, is reported to have been inspector general of the Frontier Corps.

If the family ties are confirmed, analysts says it follows the pattern of mediocre sons from some elite Pakistani families becoming terrorists, a development far removed from the clichéd image of indigent madrassa recruits that is often associated with Pakistani terrorism.

Headley-Gilani's father was a civil service diplomat, while Rana came from a family of army officers, including brothers serving in the military. Both went to the elite Hasan Abdal Cadet College before migrating to the west.

Ahmad Rashid, among the foremost experts on extremism in the region, said it was "truly extraordinary, from a Pakistani perspective, is that he (Shahzad) belongs to this country's true blue-blooded establishment" and warned that "US-Pakistan relations are likely to sour dramatically for the Pakistanis" if Shahzad is found to have been trained in bomb-making in Pakistan's badlands it has avoided cracking down on.

"The fact that his father belonged to the country's ruling elite helped provide a cover that made it virtually impossible to detect his terrorist activities. The fact that he was determined to set off a bomb in the US rather than in Pakistan or in Afghanistan where Westerners have been recruited as suicide bombers makes him Pakistan's first global jihadist," Rashid explained in a commentary
NY bomb plot raises questions about Pak military-terror nexus - US - World - The Times of India

WASHINGTON — Investigators discovered the name of the suspect in the failed Times Square bombing because of a telephone number he provided when he returned to the United States from Pakistan in February, a law enforcement official said Wednesday.

The phone number he gave three months ago was entered in a Customs and Border Protection agency database and came up Monday when investigators were checking the record of calls made to or from the prepaid cellular telephone used by the purchaser — at that point unidentified — of the vehicle used in the failed bombing, the official said.

When New York police were alerted to the presence of the smoking Nissan Pathfinder and rendered it safe on Saturday night, they started out without any immediate suspects. The owner had evidently taken steps to avoid being identified, buying the vehicle with cash and apparently removing the visible vehicle identification number.

after the police found the vehicle number on a hidden part of the engine, they tracked down the Connecticut woman who had sold it. While she did not remember the buyer’s name and had no paperwork from the sale, she did have the number of the phone he had used to contact her. That number led to a prepaid cellphone with no registered owner.

The authorities have said that phone received four calls from Pakistan in the hours before he bought the 17-year-old sport utility vehicle for $1,300. When they ran all the numbers tied to that phone through government databases, the only match they got was the number Mr. Shahzad had given when he returned to the United States on Feb. 3 on an Emirates flight.

Because he was coming from Pakistan, Mr. Shahzad was pulled aside for secondary screening upon arrival, the authorities said. After a Nigerian man tried to blow up a Northwest Airlines flight bound for Detroit on Dec. 25, the federal government mandated additional screening for all passengers arriving from 14 mostly Muslim countries, including Pakistan. That program has since been dropped in favor of a more selective screening system.

Bomb Suspect Was Tracked Through Phone Numbers - NYTimes.com

Times Square Bomb Suspect Was Upset Over Drone Attacks, Source Says

Pakistani officials tell Fox News that the suspect, Faisal Shahzad, was introduced to Qari Hussain, the No.3 in the top tier leadership of the Pakistani Taliban on his last trip to Pakistan.

The Pakistani-American man suspected in Saturday's attempted car bombing in New York's Times Square has told authorities he was upset over U.S. drone attacks in Pakistan, especially a drone attack while he was in the country

FOXNews.com - Times Square Bomb Suspect Was Upset Over Drone Attacks, Source Says

Back
Top Bottom