What's new

Cancelling Eurocopter deal got AK Antony enemies

angeldemon_007

Reaction score
NEW DELHI: The decision to scrap the Rs 3,000-crore Eurocopter deal at the last minute in December, 2007, might have been the flashpoint that convinced arms lobbies that defence minister AK Antony was a serious thorn in their flesh.

Antony took the tough call to cancel the order for the 190-odd attack helicopters for the Army due to irregularities in the bidding process and deviations from established procedures and this brought home to defence lobbyists and vendors, who were used to having their way, that it would not be business as usual anymore.

Sources said the Eurocopter decision sent shockwaves through the defence and business establishments as the contract was all but sealed and the firmness with which the French government's vocal protests were ignored induced a sense of panic among arms-dealers and lobbyists.

Long used to peddling influence so that shortlists and seeding were altered and technical parameters re-jigged to disadvantage rivals, the new regime in the defence ministry after Antony took charge began to bother several interests. Soon, Antony was accused of slowing down defence acquisitions due to his fear of taint.

The charge of a defence freeze is contested, with official sources pointing out that budgets have been utilized. Even last year, 66% of the defence budget was utilized by December, while around Rs 3,000 crore had to be returned to the finance ministry due to a resource squeeze affecting the central government.

With his political mandate aimed at keeping the government free of "scam", Antony acted without hesitation whenever a serious complaint was brought to his notice, making it plain that he would not hesitate to scrap a deal or order fresh tendering.

The Eurocopter deal was not a flash in the pan. The defence ministry's insistence that all bidders for the Rs- 100,000 crore 126-aircraft contract for the Indian Air Force fulfill excruciating technical parameters that would be the sole criteria for finalizing the deal made big names in the business nervous.

The failure of in-house lobbying and the exclusion of US F-16s and F-18s from the race along with the Russian MiG 35 at the technical evaluation stage led to outrage, with the Indian government politely, but firmly ruled out any reconsideration of its decision.

Sources familiar with proceedings said it was odd that criticism was leveled that India was "restricting" the race after the rules of selection were plain to all the bidders. The refusal to allow "geo-political" considerations to influence the deal left foreign suppliers and their Indian partners distraught and disbelieving.

The decision to blacklist Singapore Technologies Kinetics following corruption charges was yet another major friction point that disrupted the cozy co-habitation between arms-dealers and both civilian and military officials. "The government could hardly have pretended that nothing was happening," said sources.

With a series of decisions indicating policies benefitting select vendors and procurement procedures open to manipulation were being replaced by a more predictable and level-playing field, the utility of power brokers itself became questionable.

Cancelling Eurocopter deal got AK Antony enemies - The Times of India

If you are famous u will have enemies... and he is the poster boy for UPA govt's fight against corruption.

:)

I don't think what has been going on in the media is some kind of war against Mr.Clean....Everybody who has been following the defence sector of our country knows what Gen Singh said a few days back. There's nothing new here. But the Gen. should have said this right when he took the reigns, not when he is on his way out. IA is in this situation for a very long time. I think whatever is happened is good, atleast now its in general public knowledge.

I see Antony more responsible than Gen. Singh, after all there's only so much a general can do if he wanna stay as chief.

I don't think what has been going on in the media is some kind of war against Mr.Clean....Everybody who has been following the defence sector of our country knows what Gen Singh said a few days back. There's nothing new here. But the Gen. should have said this right when he took the reigns, not when he is on his way out. IA is in this situation for a very long time. I think whatever is happened is good, atleast now its in general public knowledge.

General Singh already said that he'd informed the MOD earlier and Anthony admitted it LIVE on TV. Can't get clearer than that eh? Anthony could've done something IF he had any authority to do. Most probably Maino madam would ordered him to stand down and he just did it like an obedient servant.

I see Antony more responsible than Gen. Singh, after all there's only so much a general can do if he wanna stay as chief.

He doesn't even know how to talk in media being the DM of the country. You're over-estimating him. The only good thing he has is that he's not taken a bribe.... until proven guilty. The man has no authority to deal with anything he's just another puppet.

Fine, he wants to keep his image "clean" but at what cost? He has seriously put national security at risk for his own selfish needs, MoD now needs an ex-serviceman to be Defence minister and sought out the long list of issues "saint" Antony has created. In trying to creat an image of the cleanest minister in India's defence history he has become the most useless and harmful.

^^^
I think this should be set as a requirement for Defence Minister. You need to have a service record of atleast 10 years in the army or any other arm of the armed forces.

No artillery

No NVGs

No new helmets or BPJs

No new rifles

No new air defense guns

Massive shortfall in submarines

No basic trainers for the airforce

Massive shortfall in multi role combat aircraft

and the list goes on....

Anthony has failed the forces miserably.

He should step down.

How can anyone be sure??????

Anthony blocks everything.The man is a hypocrite sycophant who just want to derive an ego satisfaction from being labelled as mr Clean.If he is so concerned of his image he could retire and live in himalyas.

He is responsible for "2 day ammo" army.

He doesn't even know how to talk in media being the DM of the country. You're over-estimating him. The only good thing he has is that he's not taken a bribe.... until proven guilty. The man has no authority to deal with anything he's just another puppet.

Man,
Why do we Indians think that honesty is the only virtue.

Slackers harm country even more than corrupt.

How can anyone be sure??????

Anthony blocks everything.The man is a hypocrite sycophant who just want to derive an ego satisfaction from being labelled as mr Clean.If he is so concerned of his image he could retire and live in himalyas.

He is responsible for "2 day ammo" army.

Man,
Why do we Indians think that honesty is the only virtue.

Slackers harm country even more than corrupt.

I had always maintained that Antonty is not a decisive minister (I know as I am a Malayalee)..but members here were too blinded by his Mr. Clean image. If we need some saints to run MoD , we will recruit some babas or nuns, not politicians.

Back
Top Bottom