What's new

Can You Solve this 6th Grade Geometry Problem From China?

The question was too easy man!

Just calculate the area of the right angle triangle and subtract the area of one circle. Already you have the diameter of the circle and length of the two sides of right angle triangle. I can show much tougher problems in India's 6th grade exams

walking around the class, going out one door, and suddenly coming in through the other........
but fortunately that was the only question we solved during the whole class :D
Our numerical analysis teacher was a nice young girl with a short height so she could hide herself behind anything :) but she was good
Look carefully - the shaded area differs (slightly) form the one in the OP. :)

Edit: try this guys.. :D

I can solve it but it is time consuming. However this is more involved that the one in OP.

Our numerical analysis teacher was a nice young girl with a short height so she could hide herself behind anything :) but she was good
quite an achievement for her to be teaching "Numerical Analysis" at such a young age
i mean not everyone likes Math that much :D

Area of a triangle minus area of a circle. Done

in number: 100 - 78.53975 = 21.46025

Half area of rectangle - Area of 1 circle

Easy....got this one in exam, celebrate!

"6th Grade" means a 12-years-old pupil.
By the way,it seems that most Chinese people will think in this way:
6th grade students are already very smart....Such math problem is an insult to their PISA number.

Try 12th grade.
2 hours...

1-150610131547.jpg

1-150610131608.jpg

Last edited:
quite an achievement for her to be teaching "Numerical Analysis" at such a young age
i mean not everyone likes Math that much :D
She was around 26 yrs but looked younger

Easy....got this one in exam, celebrate!

6th grade students are already very smart....Such math problem is an insult to their PISA number.

Try 12th grade.
2 hours...

View attachment 328808
View attachment 328809

Hey,

I don't think these questions are difficult for a student with math major in 12th grade however inclusion of Chinese makes them look REALLY [ read in a grave tone ] difficult :lol:

She was around 26 yrs but looked younger

Hey,

I don't think these questions are difficult for a student with math major in 12th grade however inclusion of Chinese makes them look REALLY [ read in a grave tone ] difficult :lol:
Frankly, I don't really think you can solve these in 2 hours....
This is the notoriously difficult Chinese college entrance exam, which many experts cannot solve.
I got 140/150, but still, could not make it to Beijing Uni.

The question was too easy man!

Just calculate the area of the right angle triangle and subtract the area of one circle. Already you have the diameter of the circle and length of the two sides of right angle triangle. I can show much tougher problems in India's 6th grade exams
The idea should be not be solving the tougher questions but developing better understanding of mathematics and geometry. In India and Pakistan, the public education system is inherited from the colonial times so the emphasis is on cramming instead of understanding.

Frankly, I don't really think you can solve these in 2 hours....
This is the notoriously difficult Chinese college entrance exam, which many experts cannot solve.
I got 140/150, but still, could not make it to Beijing Uni.
I'm not challenging your intelligence, but i can give a try if you can provide me a nice clean English version.

Back
Top Bottom