What's new

Building a new ‘Mandar’ in Riyasat-e-Madina is against the spirit of Islam: Ch Pervaiz Elahi

Sir please give me reference to this from Quran & Hadith.

Do not cooperate in sin and aggression.
— Quran 5:2

Since idol worship is shirk which is the greatest sin of all, Muslims aren't allowed to partake in building butt kadas i.e the houses of shirk. You have to show your face to God in hereafter. Think about it.

Supporting hadith
A Church\Synagogue shall not be built in the Dar al-Islam, nor will a ruined one be restored
— al Jaami al Kabir

There is no castration in Islam, nor building of a Church\Synagogue
— sunan Kubra al Baqai
F

Furthermore, scholars have claimed consensus (ijma) on this matter:
  • In a territory which was conquered by military force: The land again has become the property of the Muslims and so it is impermissible to give it for construction of places of worship.

• In a territory that was obtained by a treaty whereby the inhabitants keep the land and pay Kharaj: They will be free to build new places of worship as they own the land.

• In a territory that was obtained by a treaty whereby the Muslims will own the land and the inhabitants will pay Jizyah: In this case they will not be permitted to build new places of worship, unless they make it a condition in the treaty.
A side topic which is related to this one is whether or not a musalman can use his money to build a place of worship for non Muslims:-

Ruling on a Muslim bequeathing money for building a church

1.Hanafi madhhab
Al-Kasaani said in Badaa’i’ al-Sanaa’i’, 8/341:
If a Muslim leaves a will to a synagogue or church, it is invalid, because it is a sin. End quote.

2.Maaliki madhhab
It says in al-Mudawwanah (4/150):
Ibn al-Qaasim was asked: Do you think it is permissible for a man to hire himself out to build a church, according to Maalik’s opinion?
He said: It is not permissible for him to do that, because Maalik said: No man should hire himself out to do something that Allah has forbidden.
Maalik said: He should not rent out or sell his house to someone who will use it as a church, and he should not rent out his mount to someone who will ride it to the church. End quote.

3.Shaafa’i madhhab
Imam al-Shaafa’i said in al-Umm (4/225):
If a Christian bequeaths more than one third of it and his heirs come to us, we will annul whatever exceeds one third if the heirs wish, just as we will annul it if the heirs of a Muslim wish.
If he bequeaths one third of his wealth or part of it to build a church for the Christians to pray in or to rent it out be used as a church or for a church to be built in it or for land to be bought with it to be a charitable trust for the church and to support the church, and so on, then the bequest is invalid. End quote.

4.Hanbali madhhab
It says in al-Mughni, 6/122:
A bequest to commit sin or do something haraam is not valid, whether the one who leaves the bequest is a Muslim or a dhimmi. If he leaves a bequest for a church or Zoroastrian temple to be built or renovated or to spend on such places, it is invalid. This was the view of al-Shaafa’i. End quote.

5.The zaahiri (literalist) madhhab
Ibn Hazm said in al-Muhalla (8/37):
it is not permissible to leave a bequest for sinful purposes -whether that is done by a Muslim or by a kaafir - such as one who leaves a bequest to build a church and the like, because Allah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“…but do not help one another in sin and transgression. And fear Allaah…”
[al-Maa’idah 5:2]
“And so judge (you O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) among them by what Allaah has revealed”
[al-Maa’idah 5:49]
Whoever lets them carry out these instructions which are contrary to the ruling of Islam when he is able to prevent them, then he is helping them in sin and transgression.

End quote.

" These are the texts of the imams and some of them state the ruling quite clearly, which is that it is not allowed for the Christian to leave a bequest to a church -- even though he is a Christian -- so how about the ruling concerning a Muslim leaving a bequest to a church?

Some of the scholars narrated that there was consensus on this point.

Taqiy al-Deen al-Subki al-Shaafa’i (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

Building a church is haraam according to consensus and the same applies to renovating it. This is what the fuqaha’ said: If a bequest is made to build a church, that bequest is invalid, because building a church is a sin, as is renovating it. It makes no difference whether the one leaving the bequest is a Muslim or a kaafir. End quote.

Fataawa al-Subki, 2/396

Rather the matter is more serious than being a sin; building a place of worship for non-Muslims -- whether this is a church or anything else – implies love of kufr and spreading it, and fighting Tawheed, and encouraging disbelief in the Lord of the Worlds, and this may lead the one who does that to kufr.

Imam Abu’l-Hasan al-Ash’ari (may Allah have mercy on him) said:

Approving of kufr is kufr, and building a church in which Allah is disbelieved is kufr, because it is approving of kufr. End quote.

Al-Furooq by al-Quraafi, 4/124

After that, how can it be said that it is permissible for a Muslim to bequeath any of his wealth to build a church and that this is not a sin? “Glory be to You (O Allaah)! This is a great lie” [al-Noor 24:16].

We ask Allah, may He be exalted, to make Islam and the Muslims prevail and to bring the Muslims back to their religion. "

- End quote

Furthermore, what you can do is that you can consult several ulema personally and see for yourself what they have to say in this regard. As I already stated, what I claimed earlier is the consensus(ijma) of Muslims despite the fact that Muslim countries do not adhere to this and many other consensus rulings.

Last edited:

Since idol worship is shirk which is the greatest sin of all, Muslims aren't allowed to partake in building butt kadas i.e the houses of shirk. You have to show your face to God in hereafter. Think about it.

Supporting hadith
A Church\Synagogue shall not be built in the Dar al-Islam, nor will a ruined one be restored
— al Jaami al Kabir

— sunan Kubra al Baqai
F

• In a territory which was conquered by military force: The land again has become the property of the Muslims and so it is impermissible to give it for construction of places of worship.

• In a territory that was obtained by a treaty whereby the inhabitants keep the land and pay Kharaj: They will be free to build new places of worship as they own the land.

• In a territory that was obtained by a treaty whereby the Muslims will own the land and the inhabitants will pay Jizyah: In this case they will not be permitted to build new places of worship, unless they make it a condition in the treaty.
A side topic which is related to this one is whether or not a musalman can use his money to build a place of worship for non Muslims:-

1.Hanafi madhhab
If a Muslim leaves a will to a synagogue or church, it is invalid, because it is a sin. End quote.

2.Maaliki madhhab
Ibn al-Qaasim was asked: Do you think it is permissible for a man to hire himself out to build a church, according to Maalik’s opinion?
He said: It is not permissible for him to do that, because Maalik said: No man should hire himself out to do something that Allah has forbidden.
Maalik said: He should not rent out or sell his house to someone who will use it as a church, and he should not rent out his mount to someone who will ride it to the church. End quote.

3.Shaafa’i madhhab
If a Christian bequeaths more than one third of it and his heirs come to us, we will annul whatever exceeds one third if the heirs wish, just as we will annul it if the heirs of a Muslim wish.
If he bequeaths one third of his wealth or part of it to build a church for the Christians to pray in or to rent it out be used as a church or for a church to be built in it or for land to be bought with it to be a charitable trust for the church and to support the church, and so on, then the bequest is invalid. End quote.

4.Hanbali madhhab
A bequest to commit sin or do something haraam is not valid, whether the one who leaves the bequest is a Muslim or a dhimmi. If he leaves a bequest for a church or Zoroastrian temple to be built or renovated or to spend on such places, it is invalid. This was the view of al-Shaafa’i. End quote.

it is not permissible to leave a bequest for sinful purposes -whether that is done by a Muslim or by a kaafir - such as one who leaves a bequest to build a church and the like, because Allah says (interpretation of the meaning):
“And so judge (you O Muhammad صلى الله عليه وسلم) among them by what Allaah has revealed”
Whoever lets them carry out these instructions which are contrary to the ruling of Islam when he is able to prevent them, then he is helping them in sin and transgression.

End quote.

" These are the texts of the imams and some of them state the ruling quite clearly, which is that it is not allowed for the Christian to leave a bequest to a church -- even though he is a Christian -- so how about the ruling concerning a Muslim leaving a bequest to a church?

Building a church is haraam according to consensus and the same applies to renovating it. This is what the fuqaha’ said: If a bequest is made to build a church, that bequest is invalid, because building a church is a sin, as is renovating it. It makes no difference whether the one leaving the bequest is a Muslim or a kaafir. End quote.

Fataawa al-Subki, 2/396

Rather the matter is more serious than being a sin; building a place of worship for non-Muslims -- whether this is a church or anything else – implies love of kufr and spreading it, and fighting Tawheed, and encouraging disbelief in the Lord of the Worlds, and this may lead the one who does that to kufr.

Approving of kufr is kufr, and building a church in which Allah is disbelieved is kufr, because it is approving of kufr. End quote.

After that, how can it be said that it is permissible for a Muslim to bequeath any of his wealth to build a church and that this is not a sin? “Glory be to You (O Allaah)! This is a great lie” [al-Noor 24:16].

We ask Allah, may He be exalted, to make Islam and the Muslims prevail and to bring the Muslims back to their religion. "

- End quote

Furthermore, what you can do is that you can consult several ulema personally and see for yourself what they have to say in this regard. As I already stated, what I claimed earlier is the consensus(ijma) of Muslims despite the fact that Muslim countries do not adhere to this and many other consensus rulings.
Thank you sir please add source links to it so I can read it my self there & get more knowledge. You are very helpful.

@waz @AgNoStiC MuSliM @BHarwana
salafi/wahabi/takfiri site link

ijma would involve all fiqhs e.g Jafari,Hanafi and some more

Ijmāʿ, (Arabic: consensus) in Islamic law, the universal and infallible agreement of the Muslim community as a whole, not just a decree by a wahabi website
Care to read. The opinion of all four schools of thought is clearly stated; The first half of my post isn't even from that website.
salafi/wahabi/takfiri site link
More bongian. Not even worthy of response.

can you post the names of them 4 please?
Hanafi - followed by the majority of the Muslims - South Asia, Central Asia, Asia Kochak and parts of ME
Hanbali
Maliki - North Africa
Shafi - Far East

Had you read before jumping to conclusion just because some Islamic ruling is not in line with your 21st century sensibilities, you would have known already as all of them are clearly mentioned.

Nope Nasreen Jalil of MQM and PML-N ....
Pti accussed pmln of unlawful decisions when they were in opposition and also stopped work on Islamabad metro bus to new airport and orange line as well as mamy cpec agreements by pmln govt are revised by them so I not think they have no responsibility in this matter, where their own interest matters they easily halt work on more complex projects initiated by pmln govt as compared to building of temple

@doorstar bro quite dumb how you just called it all takfiri/wahabi without actually reading the info :what:.

There's a difference between ahlul sunna wal jama (which in Pakistan are evoked by the misnomer ahl e hadis) and Khwarij. Stop mixing the two.

IMO main stand of Islam is against shirk and kuffar(unfortunately, those words have been made to sound ominous by default somehow so I'll put em in english). Associating someone with Allah and rejecting oneness/existence of Allah.

So I think it seems logical why ulama might judge against a place of worship that will proliferate/add to polytheism/shirk/kuffar etc.

They might allow reverence/respect for existing churches or temples but increasing might pose a dilemma.

Maybe that is their thought process??

Lack of awareness is a big factor as well.
Or fear/lack of interest in getting informed in somes instances.
Burger type liberals think referring to the four madhabs is extremism and takfiri these days. Or so it would seem from reading this thread! Truth is, most of these liberal types are hypocrites and hidden atheists.

I guess as I grow the life is bringing the better of me, we'all get phases of life where we start off as someone but eventually turned into a whole different person altogether :) I guess that's what make us Humans ..

The reason i tag you is that I can trust you with a response of a serious topic with a equally non mocking response, and this needs to be handled differently as its about 2 religions ,and also we have to make sure that we do not pass wrong or inflammatory remarks that could directly or indirectly harm the image of Pakistan .

now this point you raised honestly requires a further readings, What i know that when Muslims enter Kaaba the idols were taken down, now the point to note here that at this point mecca is full of Idol worshipers and they were still hostile to Muslims, now from a Meccan prospectus if you see, than Muslims enter the city with force and take down their Idols , very very not cool from a future standards of human rights, but again as i said there were people among the Army who were some of the best humans who ever walk the earth ( for us ) and they did not think or care about the sentiments of the meccan and they keep on destroying the idols one after the other, so were they wrong ? one thing to notice and important that when they enter the mecca they were reciting this And say: Truth has now arrived, and Falsehood has perished: for Falsehood by its very own nature is bound to perish.” Holy Quran: Chapter 17 Verse 81 . We also have to understand that Muslims were coming the most scared place in their religion , with a decades long persecution they face, now they have power and to them the truth has overcome as Allah promised to them, Adreline would have been high I am sure and it was no less than a miracle that no blood shed or revenge was taken at that day .

Now what follows has to closely monitor , Muhammad Pbuh pardoned everyone and they come out to meet the Prophet, some took Oath and some take their time we can give example of Abu Sufiyan who become Muslim right before the Muslim enter Mecca to Suhail Ibn Abdullah who was hiding in his home fearing for his life for what he did to Prophet in Past, he was pardoned and later he accepted Islam, now the point i am making that people who took time to convert would have held down to their idol but Muslims were not instructed to go in the homes and break them, nor Muhammad Pbuh first order as leader was to go and destroy all places of Idols . We wont be wrong to say that he destroyed the idols with his Character and Teaching , not by hand or sword .

now Hindu's living here for centuries its their land and home, its the rulers that changes over time . And we have to respect that, if someone is not ready to break their idols than it is not our place to go in their temples and homes to break them, our duty and Sunnah is that we teach them, we peruse them with love, kindness and mercy in hope of that Allah will guide them to the right path, connecting this to the modern day temple building we can play safe and leave the rest to Allah, we are not building Temples to misguide our people or attacking the faith of Muslims , but we are building the temple for those who worship it, but from our view even their wishes and prayers is directed to Allah , they may bow down to a Grave or idol but it is Allah who listen to all and give to all ( from Strictly Muslim Prospect ) .

And appreciated for correcting me on sikhism, but What i see from Sikhs as they bow ( Do Sajdah ) in their Gurudwara's , which is considered to be act of Shirk under Islamic rule, I think and you can correct me that Wahe Guru is a Non Human entity much like Allah and Yahwe .

You're most welcome :tup:

While you nicely address whether a mandir should be acceptable to muslims, I couldnt find your view on the government paying for it? If i missed it, please point be to it. Thanks.

Sir I said from Quran Pak or Hadith. If you will give reference it will be your great help to me to increase my knowledge. I will be very grateful to you for this.
You do realize there seldom exists one liners from Quran and Hadith of intricate problems, instead scholars derive opinions based on what the primary sources contain. Even divorce cases go to shariah court, and their is no "here take these 3 ayats and 4 hadiths, and thats enough".

Supporting hadith
— al Jaami al Kabir

— sunan Kubra al Baqai
F

1.Hanafi madhhab

2.Maaliki madhhab

3.Shaafa’i madhhab

4.Hanbali madhhab

End quote.

Fataawa al-Subki, 2/396

- End quote

Thanks a lot, you have approached it the proper way, put in effort and found the evidence, most of us are guilty of being lazy and not looking for the evidence, including me. Your reward is with Allah.

In my opinion Mufti Taqi Usmani's tweet on this topic should close the matter.

He said:

In an Islamic state, Non-Muslims have the right to maintain their places of worship as per their needs (according to their population). In a country like Pakistan which was established (out of peace) Non-Muslims can even establish new places of worship as per their needs.

However, it is not permissible for the Government (of Pakistan) to establish a temple from its resources particularly at a place where the Hindu population is minimal. Thus, at a place like Islamabad, Government should not establish a temple from its own expenses. We don't know why these scandals are created at sensitive times which result in nothing but furthering division and chaos.

Thank you so much, we all had weird past and we judge as per own understandings , we are not free from mistakes and errors , this is how Allah created us . Most of us are always in a haste to point fingers and judge and sometimes even forget that somethings are in not in our hands and we have no power over it .

I don't know if you or people have heard of this wonderful narration about the creation of adam A.S, When Allah created Adam AS and breath his soul in him, the soul transfer starts from the head but as soon as his soul enters the body, Adam AS wakes up with a sneeze, and he said " Shukar Alamdulliah " , but while the soul is still going downwards to his body he tries to get up but his legs did not work, and Allah watching that smile and said something along the lines " Oh mankind you are always in haste " ..

No, because Jizya has to be paid if Muslims conquer a Land, and Pakistan was not conquered but freed , and the people ( Hindu & Sikhs ) were living in this land, Muslim creates a Govt and we already Charge them taxes along with Muslims , as for their Protection it is our duty because they entrust their matter to us .

We have to become a genuine Islamic state (with religious accountability) before we can fully reinstitute fiqh at every level. There needs to be a system. A bunch of opportunist secularist politicians, religious illiterates, and corrupt judges of LHC/IHC/PHC, I shudder to think what they are capable of.

The contract between the people and the state needs to be redrawn before we can talk about Jizya and such things.

Supporting hadith
— al Jaami al Kabir

— sunan Kubra al Baqai
F

1.Hanafi madhhab

2.Maaliki madhhab

3.Shaafa’i madhhab

4.Hanbali madhhab

End quote.

Fataawa al-Subki, 2/396

- End quote

Great post brother. Very thorough and to the point. Allah swt bless you.

I wish the Pakistani government's policy could be laid out so these issues can be debated on their own merits, rather than doing one thing here and there. It is all just ammunition for the opposition parties.

Back
Top Bottom