What's new

Brutal fall for Chinese electric cars [in Norway]

It's not necessarily a china-centric problem.

The modern EV industry is still in its infancy. Companies are being weeded out, and only those that are strong enough can survive.

It may not even have to do with the product itself, but rather other factor like service, brand loyalty, pricing, mass advertisement, or just not being that well known...etc.

It seems like a China-centric problem because they have so many companies just popping up and disappearing over night compared to the rest of the world.

It's pretty much a gold rush right now, you either strike it big or you die trying.

this is wat happens when u have a terrorist for a leader, all ur constituents suffer

A terrorist as a leader??

Does the leader you mentioned make his people poorer?

Does the leader you mentioned send a military force to the front of your door?

If no, yeah, he is a terrorist.

It's not necessarily a china-centric problem.

The modern EV industry is still in its infancy. Companies are being weeded out, and only those that are strong enough can survive.

It may not even have to do with the product itself, but rather other factor like service, brand loyalty, pricing, mass advertisement, or just not being that well known...etc.

It seems like a China-centric problem because they have so many companies just popping up and disappearing over night compared to the rest of the world.

It's pretty much a gold rush right now, you either strike it big or you die trying.

Not to mention EV is exploding.

I mean exploding in real meaning.

Like a bomb.

09/29/2022
two of the best-known China EV makers, are ramping up in Europe in a huge way, after starting sales in Norway in 2021. BYD presented three all-electric models for the European market at a virtual event on Sept. 28, and Nio is set for a similar event Oct. 7

NorwaySales.png

MG 182

Good job to Skoda for the Enyaq making #2!

Last edited:

Several Chinese brands have almost completely disappeared from the registration statistics so far this year. Now several new establishments may be significantly delayed​

TOUGH START: After the first five months of the year, only two copies of Voyah Free (left) have been registered.  On the right, the newcomer EL7 from Nio, which is registered in 49 copies.  Photo: Bjørn Eirik Loftås
TOUGH START: After the first five months of the year, only two copies of Voyah Free (left) have been registered. On the right, the newcomer EL7 from Nio, which is registered in 49 copies. Photo: Bjørn Eirik Loftås

(Elbil24): In recent years, a number of new car brands have entered the Norwegian market, most of them from China. And after the record year 2022, thousands of huge premium cars from BYD, Hongqi and Nio are now rolling around on Norwegian roads.

But then the challenges came on a conveyor belt: VAT, weight tax, higher interest rates and generally uncertain economic times have been important reasons why many players are experiencing a slowdown in new car sales - and the Chinese have definitely noticed that.

Brutal figures for several brands​

According to recent figures from OFV, for example, only four examples of the majestic Hongqi E-HS9 have been registered so far this year. At the same time last year, a total of 879 had been registered. Xpeng has several models in its portfolio, but so far this year only 21 Xpengs have been registered in Norway, down from 453 at the same time last year. For newcomer Voyah, the figure is even more depressing: Only two copies of large Voyah Free have been registered so far this year.

And it is not because there is a long delivery time. The Norwegian importers and dealers have cars ready in stock that can be delivered almost the same day, without that seeming to tempt many buyers.

Shift in the market​

At the same time, many new cars are registered every day. In May 2023, over 10,000 electric cars were registered in Norway, the highest number ever for a month of May. If we look behind the numbers, some changes become apparent compared to the past. The biggest is that Tesla dominates something absolutely enormous. Almost every fourth new car registered in May was a Tesla .

The second is that more people are buying cheaper electric cars. Interestingly, you will find few Chinese cars in the budget class in this country.

What Hongqi, Voyah, BYD and Nio have in common is that they have targeted the premium market. All offer well-equipped cars at competitive prices, but they are still expensive cars. At the moment, fewer people choose cars in higher price ranges than before the New Year, and those who do, tend to choose more traditional car brands.

- The decline in sales is not specific to Chinese car brands. In "unsafe times", people generally look for more well-known brands, says managing director Knut G. Aas at Hongqi to Bilbransje24.no (requires subscription).

Kjerringa against the current​

The only Chinese car brand that has not experienced a major drop so far this year is MG. They are roughly on par with last year, and far ahead of all the other Chinese. Because unlike them, MG bets on cars at "people's prices", such as the MG ZS EV and not least the MG4 - one of Norway's cheapest electric cars.

A number of new brands have been planned for Norway in 2023. Geely has already announced that they are postponing the launch of their models until next year. Other new establishments are also at risk of being delayed, Bilbransje24 writes.

Stand for Chinese cars January-May 2022 versus 2023​

PlacementBrandNumber 2023Number 2022
1MG889901
2BYD234658
3Nio225406
4Maxus106315
5JAC42
6Xpeng21453
7Ora13
8Seres61
9Hongqi4879
10Voyah2
Kilde: OFV via Bilbransje24.no

Almost every fourth new car registration in May was a Tesla. The proportion of electric vehicles was almost 81 per cent.​

Top 10 electric cars - May 2023:​

PlacementModelNumber
1Tesla Model Y2691
2Volkswagen ID.4738
3BMW iX1594
4Volvo XC40539
5Skoda Enyaq387
6Audi Q4 e-tron386
7Ford Mustang Mach-E372
8Volkswagen ID. Buzz308
9Hyundai Ioniq 5270
10Volkswagen ID.3256

Source: OFV

This article is not analyzing the root causes for the problem. Main question is Why (is this happening)? If it is purely cost competitiveness, why don't the Chinese companies simply offer a price match for Tesla and make the sale? With the volumes we are talking, it is a fleabite for them. They can keep their market share and brand visibility at a small price.

this is wat happens when u have a terrorist for a leader, all ur constituents suffer

The West is angry with Xi because he is doing good.

Chinese EVs too expensive
Take NIO EVs, selling prices about 55,000 euros plus monthly battery lease in Norway.
I can buy a BWM i4 for the money with much better quality and prestige.
Chinese should lower the prices otherwise no chance in Europe.

View attachment 932892

Agree.

People don't know much about Chinese car.

Even if NIO is offering more for the same price, no one is able to imagine how good NIO is.

Despite the fact that I don't have BMW, I can already imagine how good BMW is, from the media, from mouth to mouth, from my friend's car.

But NIO, it's completely blank.

The same case with other cars like KIA, Hyundai, etc.

I still prefer Toyota over KIA.

The car is not cheap, it's like gambling. If I make a bet, I'm betting on the thing I know, the risk is much lower.

If Chinese car company wants to win consumers heart, they need to make the consumers familiarized with their car and brand. At least the consumers ever tried their car and feel hugely impressed by it.

Last edited:

Even if NIO is offering more for the same price, no one is able to imagine how good NIO is.

Despite the fact that I don't have BMW, I can already imagine how good BMW is, from the media, from mouth to mouth, from my friend's car.

The car is not cheap, it's like gambling. If I make a bet, I'm betting on the thing I know, the risk is much lower.

If Chinese car company wants to win consumers heart, they need to make the consumers familiarized with their car and brand. At least the consumers ever tried their car and feel hugely impressed by it.
That is the Brand Value. I know about BMW and its reputation for about 50 years. Same with Toyota. Hyundai and Kia for 30 years. Whereas I am seeing the name NIO for the first time. Don't know if they make a million cars a year or a bunch of teenagers producing a dozen cars a year.

The West is angry with Xi because he is doing good.

Agree.

I told previously I went to a NIO showroom in Oslo. First impression: the cars are good. Quality, finishing good. The issue is the price. Then the other issue is design. I don’t think it does fit Europe taste. Then the many cameras. It’s too visible. Those many cameras make NIo car look like a google car.

A market of 5.8 million people? That's less than a tier 3 city in China. Oh noes the end is near!

Even if you buy a Tesla, there's a good chance that it's manufactured in Shanghai or utilizes a battery system made in China.

Chinese EVs too expensive
Take NIO EVs, selling prices about 55,000 euros plus monthly battery lease in Norway.
I can buy a BWM i4 for the money with much better quality and prestige.
Chinese should lower the prices otherwise no chance in Europe.

View attachment 932892
You must have never drive a BMW before. BMW is no more entitled what it called good quality any more, especially in EV car.

You must have never drive a BMW before. BMW is no more entitled what it called good quality any more, especially in EV car.
I haven’t any yet so don’t know how EVs by BMW. There is a BMW showroom nearby. Designs look great. However too expensive. Same for EVs by Audi, retail 100,000 euros. Ways too much. I asked them why price so high, they said most go on as leasing or cooperate cars.

Back
Top Bottom