What's new

Brit Bangladeshis in sports - The up & coming

Saiful Islam

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
British Bangladeshis in have taken a keen interest in sports, despite our contribution being negligible we've produced some decent talent and taking in our
population wise, it's a decent outcome.

Zidan Miah - Graduating from the David Beckham academy and has now been signed with Rayo Vallecano (which plays in the La Liga, isn't a joke)

Hamza Choudhury - Leicester City FC (a premier league team, definitely not a joke)
These are the only two Asians that are actually doing decent in Football in the UK despite the controversy surround Asians and football (i.e "we can't play, stick to cricket" - which honestly doesn't apply to a lot of younger Bangladeshis as we don't have the zeal for Cricket)

There are more Bangladeshis brothers from my area that are actual ballers, one whom who will have a go at West Ham(another premier league team) soon inshaAllah

Khalid Ali made his pro debut in boxing yesterday beating his opponent by way of knock out (and recently signed by Frank Warren Promotions - which is a big deal in professional boxing)
Ruksana Begum - First female Muslim world kickboxing champion (now signed by David Haye, switched to boxing)

Ali Jacko was a 5x World Kickboxing Champion and the first Asian in the UK at that.

Hamza Uddin - Ranked no.1 in Britain in his weight class/4 x national champion and a few other achievements, one to look out for.

There are many, many more athletes and I commend our people for diversifying and not sticking to one particular sport, a plethora of MMA fighters/Calisthenics/Boxers/Ballers/Runners/Gymnasts/Bodybuilders however there is no point naming bottom leaguers or those who haven't managed to get the right promotion - that is the truth. Those who don't really 'stand out' I won't mention, or fighting on a national level, there is no point. People such as Anwar Uddin (who played for West Ham), but these are has beens..

British Bangladeshis in have taken a keen interest in sports, despite our contribution being negligible we've produced some decent talent and taking in our
population wise, it's a decent outcome.

Zidan Miah - Graduating from the David Beckham academy and has now been signed with Rayo Vallecano (which plays in the La Liga, isn't a joke)

Hamza Choudhury - Leicester City FC (a premier league team, definitely not a joke)
These are the only two Asians that are actually doing decent in Football in the UK despite the controversy surround Asians and football (i.e "we can't play, stick to cricket" - which honestly doesn't apply to a lot of younger Bangladeshis as we don't have the zeal for Cricket)

There are more Bangladeshis brothers from my area that are actual ballers, one whom who will have a go at West Ham(another premier league team) soon inshaAllah

Khalid Ali made his pro debut in boxing yesterday beating his opponent by way of knock out (and recently signed by Frank Warren Promotions - which is a big deal in professional boxing)
Ruksana Begum - First female Muslim world kickboxing champion (now signed by David Haye, switched to boxing)

Ali Jacko was a 5x World Kickboxing Champion and the first Asian in the UK at that.

Hamza Uddin - Ranked no.1 in Britain in his weight class/4 x national champion and a few other achievements, one to look out for.

There are many, many more athletes and I commend our people for diversifying and not sticking to one particular sport, a plethora of MMA fighters/Calisthenics/Boxers/Ballers/Runners/Gymnasts/Bodybuilders however there is no point naming bottom leaguers or those who haven't managed to get the right promotion - that is the truth. Those who don't really 'stand out' I won't mention, or fighting on a national level, there is no point. People such as Anwar Uddin (who played for West Ham), but these are has beens..

I wish we could convince Hamza Choudhury to represent Bangladesh Football team. But Jamie Day has already admitted it will be difficult since he wants to represent England.

Good thing is we are seeing some of these Foreign born Bangladeshis are representing Bangladesh now, hope to see that continue. Since the local infrastructure is in shambles because of years of corruption and incompetence and all the money funneled to cricket.

I wish we could convince Hamza Choudhury to represent Bangladesh Football team. But Jamie Day has already admitted it will be difficult since he wants to represent England.

Good thing is we are seeing some of these Foreign born Bangladeshis are representing Bangladesh now, hope to see that continue. Since the local infrastructure is in shambles because of years of corruption and incompetence and all the money funneled to cricket.

If he can make the move, that gives other foreign born BD's the confidence however the money is in Europe/America and he's better utilized here. He's a premier league player so I doubt he sees any benefit in playing in BD except for the representing his culture aspect.

Every sport needs a chance, so equal distribution of funds would be ideal but obviously Bangladeshi government would rather see cricketers on TV adverts for tea and face creams every other day lol.

If he can make the move, that gives other foreign born BD's the confidence however the money is in Europe/America and he's better utilized here. He's a premier league player so I doubt he sees any benefit in playing in BD except for the representing his culture aspect.

Every sport needs a chance, so equal distribution of funds would be ideal but obviously Bangladeshi government would rather see cricketers on TV adverts for tea and face creams every other day lol.

Fortunately, there is a resurgence of popularity in football in Bangladesh in last 10+ years, courtesy of people's access to watching European leagues. BFF just need a good strategy to improve the infrastructure and start producing players. Corporate Money will start flowing in when the team starts to perform again.

Fortunately, there is a resurgence of popularity in football in Bangladesh in last 10+ years, courtesy of people's access to watching European leagues. BFF just need a good strategy to improve the infrastructure and start producing players. Corporate Money will start flowing in when the team starts to perform again.

Similar scenario here too. We have own leagues up and down the country, some established more than 20/30 years now and many teams named after the famous clubs. Abahani, Mohammedan etc whilst others are named after villages.

Doesn’t mean squat. They’ll represent some other countries and Bangladesh govt will do nothing to support them

Back
Top Bottom