What's new

BREAKING NEWS: Humayun Ahmed dies

CaPtAiN_pLaNeT

Reaction score
Humayun Ahmed dies

Humayun Ahmed dies | Bangladesh | bdnews24.com

Thu, Jul 19th, 2012 11:41 pm BdST

Dhaka July 19 (bdnews24.com— Popular Bengali fiction writer Humayun Ahmed, 64, has died in a New York hospital after a nine-month battle against colon cancer.

Dr Abdul Momen, the Bangladesh ambassador to the UN, told bdnews24.com that he had passed away at 11:30pm Thursday Bangladesh time at Bellevue Hospital.

Arriving in New York on Sept 14 last year, he had two major surgeries on his colon since June 12 at Bellevue. He had earlier gone through 12 chemotherapy cycles at the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Centre.

Wife Meher Afroz Shaon, younger brother Mohammad Zafar Iqbal and publisher Mazharul Islam were at the Bellevue Hospital at the time of death.

Born in Mymensingh in 1948, he studied chemistry at the Dhaka University and later taught chemistry in his alma mater.

He left teaching when he became a fulltime writer and filmmaker.

Winner of Bangla Academy Award in 1981, Ekushey Padak in 1994 and three National Film Awards (Best Story in 1993, Best Film 1994 and Best Script in 1994), Humayun continued writing even when he was being treated in New York.

On Jan 13, the government gave the writer a diplomatic position –Senior Special Adviser -- at the country's Permanent Mission at the United Nations.

bdnews24.com/eh/tik/1155h.

RIP. He was a great writer and brought a different trend in Bengali Literature. He will be remembered for years to come. My salute goes with him.

Basically we all grew up with him watching his drama serial in BTV... :-(

Rest in peace the great writer. Spend many sleepless nights reading his novels. So simple in language but touched the heart most.

rose_7.jpg

35 guests are reading this... How many silent observers are there in this Bangladeshi section .... :woot:

Yes he is also one of my favorite writer but his marriage with his younger daughter's friend was the dark chapter in his career.

39 guest now ... :unsure:...

All the guests instead of becoming just a silent observer please do contribute some times in this section to bring diversity in the opinion expressed in this section.

Ohh my gosh 46 guest now!!!

Now 48.... am I seeing right???

50 and half century now... :laugh:

Human does some errors in life, but Some human gets some moments for wonderful creations. I was wondered with the Botol Bhut of Humayun Ahmed at my little age. This was a source of wonderful thinking in my childhood. But in some writing of Humayun Ahmed I got the Communist Touch which is not liked by me. He got the merit. He utilized much of it to create something of beauty. Considering all the facts He was more or less creative and shows that if you are determined you can do to express yourself. May, Allah Forgive us all and Grace us all.

Human does some errors in life, but Some human gets some moments for wonderful creations. I was wondered with the Botol Bhut of Humayun Ahmed at my little age. This was a source of wonderful thinking in my childhood. But in some writing of Humayun Ahmed I got the Communist Touch which is not liked by me. He got the merit. He utilized much of it to create something of beauty. Considering all the facts He was more or less creative and shows that if you are determined you can do to express yourself. May, Allah Forgive us all and Grace us all.

Welcome back dravidian continuator :welcome:

I feel like not only Humayun Ahmed died but this is also the death of Himu & Misir Ali my two favorite characters. It really saddens me to think that in boimela his new books will no longer be published. Humayun Ahmed was one of the most influential person in my teenage life. I still remember watching his tv dramas where Baker Bhai was hanged & the nation came to a standstill. He was one of the most talented writers Bangladesh has produced. It's the end of an era. May ALLAH grant peace to his soul. AMIN.

What's happening...within consecutive 2 days 2 great souls of subcontinent Rajesh Khanna and Humayun Ahmed departed..RIP the great souls! We'll be missing them rest of our lives, meaningless though...they'll not be back ever.

I feel like not only Humayun Ahmed died but also this also the death of Himu & Misir Ali my two favorite characters. It really saddens me to think that in boimela his new books will no longer be published. Humayun Ahmed was one of the most influential person in my teenage life. I still remember watching his tv dramas where Baker Bhai was hanged. He was one of the most talented writers Bangladesh has produced. It's the end of an era. May ALLAH grant peace to his soul. AMIN.

Yeah...I'm getting emotional today.

How is it a breaking news? Does his death will stop time?

Malik ul maut has came and did the job. Kalas. I heard he was good writer but I am not into Bangla literature.

I think a part of died too after hearing this news.

This man wrote some of the best bangladeshi drama. His books and drama captures the essence of a bangladeshi. My youth was build around his works. Sad to see him leave us so early. I am gonna miss his "hemu" and "misir ali" book series not to mention the countless number of dramas that come out during holiday seasons.

My condolences goes out to his wife shaon and his child, who i think its a few years old.

Back
Top Bottom