What's new

Brazil sold arms to Pakistan ?????????????

What is to mourn? PAF anyway have more advanced IR missiles than Pirahnas, like sidewinders from US. This is no game changer at all.

In a way, it is a good news that not to encounter more sidewinders, Piranas/Darters are less lethal than the former.. ;)

Hey
sorry for my uncalled for comments.earlier. It was a strange Monday..
by the way, I dont know what system are Piranhas based on and how easy they would be easy to integrate.. I agree with your piranha vs Sidewinder comment but I think PAF is working on diversifying its weapons.. we have been already stung so once the Afghan end game approaches the US and Pakistan’s gunshot marriage will end as unceremoniously as before.

"Pakistan’s gunshot marriage will end as unceremoniously as before."

I really hope that the U.S. does not repeat the old sanction mistake...
If they do, it won't take much to sink the ship once and for all.

I hope that their thick skulled leaders understand this time...

"Pakistan’s gunshot marriage will end as unceremoniously as before."

I really hope that the U.S. does not repeat the old sanction mistake...
If they do, it won't take much to sink the ship once and for all.

I hope that their thick skulled leaders understand this time...

yea you tell them!!!

Piranha Missile
The MAA-1 Piranha 1 is a short-range infrared homing missile and the first air-to-air missile developed by Brazil for its Air Force and Navy. It was designed to replace the AIM-9 Sidewinder missiles in Brazilian service and has since been exported to Colombia and Pakistan

Design
he MAA-1 Piranha is a supersonic, short-range air-to-air missile relying on infrared passive guidance which seeks the target's heat emissions coming primarily from the engine/s. The infrared sensor uses two colors to discriminate infrared countermeasures (IRCM) from the real target and was supplied by South Africa's Kentron (Denel Group). It is highly manoeuvrable and can turn at accelerations of up to 50g. The Piranha performs as a 'fire and forget' missile, that means once launched the missile does not require input data coming the aircraft's sensors to hit its target. A laser fuze is responsible for detonating the high explosive warhead. Externally, it is very similar to Rafael's Python 3 air-to-air missile and the aerodynamic configuration is near the same.

During the 1990s Mectron conducted Piranha missile test firings on the AT-26 Xavante, F-5 and Mirage III aircraft. The missile was qualified for operation on the Brazilian Air Force (FAB) F-5E in September 1992. Missile production began from 1993 onwards but no date has been confirmed yet. The Piranha air-to-air missile has also been integrated into Brazilian AMX tatical attack aircraft and could be integrated into many other aircraft used by the Brazilian Air Force, Army and Navy in the near future.

The MAA-1 Piranha is a missile air-air short range with infrared guidance system for aerial combat of the "dogfight" in tactical characteristics of the F-103E aircraft IIIEBR Mirage, F-5E Tiger II, A-1 AMX, A-29 Super Tucano, AT-26 Xavante (tests) and possibly the AF-1 Hawks Navy and the "new" FAB Mirage 2000C.

The data indicate a missile Mectron sensor "passive infrared seeker all-aspect", with characteristic equivalent to the U.S. AIM-9L.

Brazil supplied 100 Anti radiation missiles to target SAM sites.

1-22-2011_60208_1.gif

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom