What's new

‘Brain-eating amoeba’ claims another life in Karachi

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
KARACHI: A young woman residing in Malir district died of Naegleria fowleri on Thursday, taking the death toll blamed on the ‘brain-eating amoeba’ to 12 in the province, officials said.

She was the second female to die of Naegleria fowleri this year. Officials said Humaira Bano, 25, was a resident of Taiser Town in Malir district. She had been admitted to a private hospital a day before she died.

“We have taken water samples supplied to the area where she lived and sent them for examination,” said Dr Zafar Ijaz, director health, Karachi division.

Dr Ijaz said it was unclear how Ms Bano came into contact with the deadly amoeba. She mostly stayed at home and like other previous cases had no history of swimming — one of the key causes behind primary amoebic meningoencephalitis (PAM) or Naegleria fowleri.

“We have launched further investigations to find out how she came into contact with the amoeba,” he added.

A 32-year-old woman resident of Adamjee Nagar in Karachi-East was the last reported victim of Naegleria.

So far none of the 12 victims, 11 in Karachi alone and one in Hyderabad, had a history of swimming, said the official.

Victims of Naegleria include a 57-year-old man, the oldest so far, and a nine-month-old girl, the youngest until now. The first Naegleria-related fatality this year was reported on May 27 in Gulistan-i-Jauhar.

Last year, the disease claimed three lives and in 2012 ten died due to Naegleria.

According to experts this lethal amoeba can only be eliminated through proper chlorination of water.Naegleria fowleri travels through the nasal cavity and directly attacks the brain. The victim exhibits symptoms of headache, slight fever, three to seven days after exposure to contaminated water. In some cases victims also have a sore throat and stuffy nose.

‘Brain-eating amoeba’ claims another life in Karachi - Pakistan - DAWN.COM

What type of disesase is this?
What is the main cause of this Amoeba ?
infectious disease
a5c33d88d4bd6f003c3caf229706cc4a.png

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naegleria_fowleri

WTH. the previous cases did not make headlines. This is serious we need to highlight it

@HRK @Secur @Oscar @dexter - Why do I have the feeling that this 'brain-eating amoeba' maybe working for both PPP and MQM ? :unsure:

He could've worked for PML N but I don't think that either the Elder or the Junior Tindss have much of a brain to speak off ! :(

P.S Be careful you guys.....don't drink water straight from the tap; mineral or filtered water piyooo aur apnaa dimagh bachaooo ! :tup:

@HRK @Secur @Oscar @dexter - Why do I have the feeling that this 'brain-eating amoeba' maybe working for both PPP and MQM ? :unsure:

He could've worked for PML N but I don't think that either the Elder or the Junior Tindss have much of a brain to speak off ! :(

P.S Be careful you guys.....don't drink water straight from the tap; mineral or filtered water piyooo aur apnaa dimagh bachaooo ! :tup:

Yar armstrong bhai abhi pichle mahine hi hamare elake mein pehla case samne aya
He was 29 years old cant tell you his name
May ALLAH give him with the highest reward in Jannah!
Ameen

a40465746481fac206fae8e8490e42ca.jpg

Life cycle and rare infection pathway of humans for Naegleria ..

Here, visit this FB page for info:
Naegleria fowleri in Karachi - A Silent Killer | Facebook

Last edited:
Yeah she doesn't swim or know how to swim ,but if she's a Muslim she must have been doing "wudu" or "ablution" so, hello!
Do it improperly with the infected water and you'll putting the enemy soldiers in your GHQ, aka C.N.S.
Case solved ,eh?

5a6461d24a81f040a1473dadf86dda19.jpg

So, if you are a layman and you want to improve your sanitation that is how you can avoid it.(Any of the following methods can do)
1-Make sure that your water supply is chlorinated properly to disinfect it.
2-Boil the water for few minutes.(usually not more than 3-5 min)
3-Use a proper filter with an absolute pore size of 1 micron or smaller.
4-Get the distilled water if you can't do anyone of the above that is an expensive way.But hey what's more expensive than your life?

Karachi is famous for it.Quite expectedly due to it's water distribution problems.
They had a huge episode of this ailment in the 90's as well.
Before that it did happen or didn't,there can be many factors that can meddle with this discussion so, i'll skip it.

For Halopridol's entertainment, watch those Euphoria part1 and euphoria part 2 episodes of House Md, where he found that foreman got himself infected and was suffering from PAM.

Caution....Gross.

Not the same amoeba but brain-eating word made me remember this video.

By the looks of it, he is a poor guy. Maybe got into a fight and suffered head trauma. Obviously he did not seek medical attention and now the wound is infected with maggots all over. Certain death awaits him. Wondering if it was painful for him or not since the brain itself is getting decomposed.

Back
Top Bottom