What's new

Bose: The extremist who refuses to die

riCoh

Reaction score
For far too long it has been a recurrent pattern to patronizingly dismiss the irked line of thought that questions how the Indian establishment has kept Netaji Bose’s legacy a grey area, as something born out of a sense of parochial Bengali pride alone. Now, I do not speak a word of Bengali, and have spent a grand total of ten days in my life in Calcutta, so at least that prejudged perspective doesn’t apply here.

I have a question today. I cannot for the life of me understand why the Ministry of Defence, in the year 2011, has to go to the Delhi High Court to challenge an order of the Central Information Commission, asking an RTI applicant to be provided a SIXTY YEAR OLD manuscript. Of course, when the manuscript happens to be the official history of the INA, then a sense of déjà vu comes in. After all, it will be largely about Bose, right? And the less we know about Bose, the happier our governments seem to be. The bizarrest thing – this is an official history commissioned by the Government Of India. And it has to be kept locked away. The ministry, for the record, has refused to provide a copy on the grounds that it is “planning to publish” the manuscript (considering it was submitted in 1950, and they are still “planning” to publish it, it is unlikely to come in our lifetimes) and asserts that responding to the RTI query will hit the “economic interests” of the state.

Mr Antony, in God’s name, you don’t believe that, do you? What is the government going to do with the supposedly massive revenues from the sales of the manuscript when you do publish it in 2075? Build a new battle tank? "Economic interest"? Give us a break, please. Why do the words “Bose” and “INA” introduce a paralytic reflex in our governance, some half a century after the man supposedly died? Why is he the ruling system’s equivalent of He Who Must Not Be Named?

Even as Netaji’s death seems to have engaged the Indian mindspace the way the Kennedy assassination has the US, staying a perpetually open-ended question, there is no mainstream political party which has been able to, or has been interested in, playing the caretaker of his legacy. The irony has been that Bose’s spiritual mentor, Vivekananda, the monk, has the Ramakrishna Mission and other organizations taking his ideology forward effectively even today, while Bose, the political leader, the general of a self-made army, has no equivalent political organization aspiring to do so. Only sundry organizations keep trying to file PILs, RTI applications etc in an attempt to raise questions that invariably have the powers that be squirming. There is, so to say, no political next of kin.

But then, that is hardly a surprise, considering that for a long time, we were reluctant to acknowledge even his legal next of kin. While children, grandchildren, or great-grandchildren with more illustrious surnames are much feted, an Anita Pfaff’s existence in the Indian national consciousness is, at best, incidental. Pardon me for the nastiness of this point – since I have absolutely nothing personal against anyone’s origins – but one cannot but be amused at how warmly the Congress, which was so squeamish about Bose’s German spouse once, took to the Italian spouse of national leader subsequently.

Perhaps our establishment’s discomfort with the man is because Bose has been as intractable to handle and difficult to ignore in death as he was in life. When he was politically active, Bose was a bundle of contradictions. Spiritualist, Leftist, Nationalist, Fascist and many other adjectives tagged him at the same time. Those who thought his death would simplify things were disappointed; after he was no longer on the scene, he became larger than life. The Congress, which spared no pains to keep him out while it could, stepped in to reclaim his legacy by proxy, quickly adopting the cause of the INA once the Red Fort trials set the nation in a frenzy.

Once that hype blew over, however, Bose was ambiguously feted as a ‘nationalist’ and such things, but no political stream would really claim him as one of their own. The Congress cannot really appropriate him till it idolises Nehru and worships the Mahatma. Nehru summed it up himself in 1942: "We parted company with him many years ago. Since then we have drifted further apart and today we are very far from each other." That drift was never bridged. The Marxists viciously pilloried him for his dealings with the Axis powers and abused him liberally, before, much later, apologizing for the "great mistake" made in wrongly evaluating Bose’s 'patriotism and selfless sacrifice'- and then used the opportunity to remind us that 'Netaji never compromised with communal forces'. Ergo, he is not the BJP’s, he is ours!

The right wing meanwhile was happy to tell us that Savarkar had advised Bose on sundry issues. I recall the BJP’s keenness to claim Bose as one of its own, by including him as a natural part of a pantheon of nationalistic militant leaders such as Shivaji, Bhagat Singh and Veer Savarkar. Advani, as Dy PM, rued to INA veterans that had Netaji been given his due place, no leader could have matched him in stature for half a century. An article in a BJP journal at that point of time said: “Not only does the BJP stand to gain electorally, but Subhash Chandra Bose will be freed from the confines of political myth-making. The appropriation by the BJP is a posthumous homecoming for a nationalist who believed that rashtrabhakti is a synthesis of religion and nationalism, of the spiritual and the political”. Posthumous homecoming, indeed.

The Forward Bloc, hopelessly embedded in Bengal and comfortable playing junior partner to bigger Left formations – even while they liberally abused Bose – never could gain a fraction of the mass appeal that its founder did. So Bose has belonged to everybody, and the INA has been oft quoted as a shining example of Indians of all creeds coming together to fight for the motherland - but, specifically, he has belonged to no one, the way Nehru belongs to the Congress, Hegdewar to the Sangh, or MN Roy to the Marxists. ‘Subhash Babu’ was in that sense perhaps only appropriated whole-heartedly and unapologetically by the Bengali intelligentsia – a tragic, rather raw deal for a man whose mindset was anything but regionalistic.

Some years back, Prof Satadru Sen, then teaching at the University of Washington, Seattle, said in the course of a lecture on Bose that “Ultimately, dying at the end of the war was the best thing Bose could have done for India.” Perhaps that is true. For those who feared his non-conformism, his death brought comfortable stability. For those who loved him, amidst all the contradictions, there is at least an eternally romanticized picture of the leader who went down fighting, uncompromising and uncorrupted. With or without a defined political legacy, despite the consistent squeamishness of the state in acknowledging him, the man refuses to fade away. Do what you will.

I read a line recently, on the net, which said -- '"I am an extremist," Bose once said, and his uncompromising stand finally cut him off from the mainstream of Indian nationalism.'

Amidst the endless chain of middle-of-the-road political leadership that stands for nothing, except itself, perhaps the extremist isn’t politically fashionable. But India has still not outgrown the need for the Bose brand of extremism. It may be just romantic posturing, but I see the man as having tried his best, and having been taken away midway through his political and philosophical mission. Perhaps, someday, it will be taken up and completed. By us, or, at least, in our lifetimes.

It’s clichéd to end any write-up this way, but then, Bose embedded it in our minds, it’s his birth anniversary today, and the man just lives on, you know, in his own way, so it’s kind of apt…

Jai Hind!

Bose: The extremist who refuses to die : India : Anshul Chaturvedi : TOI Blogs

For a layman this person will perhaps remain always an enigma.

People may think i am a conspiracy theorist but i always thought that the leaders of his time had something to do with his disappearance. So his story can never come out.

A patriotic revolutionary .His name itself invokes an electric jolt through our bodies.But Brits were literally shitting in their pants on hearing Netaji's name!!!!People like him have helped us achieve our dream-Independence!!Hope the current citizens take inspiration from him and vote for the right people.
Jai Hind.

I have difficulty putting Gandhi in the same category as Bose as a contributor to independence. But Bose gets a lot of credit that other people do not. Bose by himself was nothing.

Incidentally, Bose, forgotten hero is a good film.

I have difficulty putting Gandhi in the same category as Bose as a contributor to independence. But Bose gets a lot of credit that other people do not. Bose by himself was nothing.

heroes can not be compaired. one man's role in freedom struggle cannot be greatre or lesser than other man's role.

That should have read "difficulty in putting Bose in the same category as Gandhi". He was not. Guess he is romanticised because of his choosing his own separate path & partly because of his mysterious death.

Yup, the same guy. He tried desperate measures to get the British out,. From raising an army of Indian PoWs of Japan in SE Asia to asking Nazi Germany for help, he did it all.

I can't sympathize with anyone who aligned themselves with the Imperial Japan of WW2.

However, he was doing it to free India from Western domination, which seems like a good cause.

I can't sympathize with anyone who aligned themselves with the Imperial Japan of WW2.

However, he was doing it to free India from Western domination, which seems like a good cause.

if u have read his papers, he gave two hoots to nazi or facism philosophy. he jus wanted independence for india. he took armed struggle against british by asking japaneeese to release indian POWs.

Guy you ammend your title... you are insulting a National hero and Founder of INA :angry:and that too in Defence forum where all defence guru are here.

bose_chandra.jpg

There were many great heroes born at the time of the freedom movement. Each with his own method of attaining one goal - Independence for India. Some believed in non-violent means, whereas others did not. One such hero was Subhash Chandra Bose, popularly known as 'Netaji'.

Netaji's Background

Born on January 23, 1897 in Cuttack, Orissa, to a successful lawyer Jankinath Bose and his wife Prabhavati, Netaji was of a unique temperament. His father was also chairman of the Municipal Committee and encouraged education in his province. His mother was a follower of Swami Ramakrishna Paramhansa and so inculcated spiritual values in her son. Netaji was also influenced by Swami Vivekananda.

To please his father, Netaji went to England to appear for the Indian Civil Service (I.C.S.) Examination, and achieved fourth place on the Merit list. But he had no intention of serving the British. Instead he wanted to participate in the Nationalist Movement and liberate his Motherland.

Birth of a Revolutionary

Netaji was influenced more by Lokmanya Tilak and Sri Aurobindo. He did not agree with Gandhiji's methods of achieving Independence through non-violence. Rana Pratap and Shivaji were Netaji's heroes and he believed that the only way to liberate his people was by shedding blood.

At first, Netaji joined the Congress Party and was even elected President. But because he did not agree with their views, he broke off to form the Forward Bloc. He was imprisoned for his revolutionary activities on various occasions.

The Indian National Army (I.N.A.)

In 1941, Netaji went to Japan and formed the I.N.A. in 1943. 1945 witnessed the I.N.A. waging a war from the North - West of our country. He inspired his army with the battle cry 'Delhi Chalo'. Even though he did not succeed in this battle, he had driven home his message. The Britishers realised that the Indians were serious about gaining independence, and would assume any means towards that end.

On August 17, 1945, Bose died in a plane crash while flying from Bangkok to Tokyo. He did not live to see the Indian Independence, but his spirit still lives through his words - JAI HIND.

That should have read "difficulty in putting Bose in the same category as Gandhi". He was not. Guess he is romanticised because of his choosing his own separate path & partly because of his mysterious death.

May be it's the parochial Bengali in me talking, but wasn't the rebellion of British India armed force and navy in pretext of INA's trial which accelerated the independence of India? British would have happily put up with Satyagraha for another decade; no disrespect to Mahatma.

You are entitled to your opinion, thats fair.

Bose was willing to use whatever means necessary to rid India of the British yoke. He was a nationalist who didn't mind eschewing violence to get his motives. From his perspective, as long as the country could be free it didn't matter who provided the support.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom