What's new

Bilawal Bhutto: Born to rule, destined to fail

GUNNER

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Bilawal Bhutto Zardari: Born to rule, but destined to fail

By Dean Nelson

I was in Pakistan the day after Benazir Bhutto was assassinated, and I was talking to Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain, the country’s former prime minister, and his cousin Chaudhry Pervez Elahi, who was then the chief minister of Punjab. The country was in uproar: members of their political party were being attacked by members of Benazir’s Pakistan People’s Party, who suspected them of involvement in the plot.

Ch. Pervez introduced me to his son Moonis, the next generation of leadership for their Pakistan Muslim League (Quaid) party. Then we talked about what would become of the Pakistan Peoples Party – who would lead it now? I expected him to mention names like the veteran caretaker, Makhdoom Amin Fahim. But no: Benazir’s son, Bilawal, he said, will be the next leader.

At that time Bilawal was barely 19, studying at Oxford, and had shown no interest in politics. What could such a young man offer, I asked? “In Pakistan, politics is a family business,” he replied.

So this Saturday, the Bhutto-Zardari family will present Bilawal Zardari, or “Bilawal Bhutto Zardari” as he is now known, as the PPP’s new leader, head of the family business, at a party rally in Birmingham. Despite his tender age and minimal experience of Pakistan, the young scion of one of the country’s wealthiest feudal families will take over the reins of the country’s largest political party.

It’s an alarming state of affairs. As leader he will have influence over how the war on terror is waged and will play a key role in negotiating relations between civil society and the military, which looms menacingly over the country’s shaky democracy.

It’s a position for which there was neither contest nor welcome contestants. While the PPP has a number of promising up-and-coming MPs, like Palwasha Khan, or inspirational and able veterans like Aitzaz Ahsan (the former interior minister who led the successful lawyers’ movement to reinstate the deposed chief justice), merit simply doesn’t come into it.

If ever a country needed its leaders to be elected on merit, or an environment where the best talent can rise to the top, it’s Pakistan.

Yet Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto played a key role in the “East Pakistan” fiasco which led to the creation of Bangladesh; his daughter Benazir dragged the country to the edge of bankruptcy; and her husband treated the country’s customs and excise departments as part of the family business. Pakistan, it seems, is doomed to be saddled with Bhuttos forever, regardless of how good they are at governing.

It is often forgotten that Bhutto Pere was a tyrant, and that it was Benazir who aided the rise of the Taliban, despite warnings from women’s rights campaigners who let her know just how brutal its leaders were. It’s also forgotten that it was not the beautiful “daughter of the east” who abolished the Hudood Ordinance, under which rape victims were jailed for adultery, but the whisky-loving dictator, General Musharraf.

While there was a sense of inevitability about Bilawal’s eventual leadership, his nomination – as the party mourned his mother’s death – surprised many, just as her own nomination of Zardari as interim leader baffled her closest aides.

Zardari had been frozen out of the PPP leadership by Benazir, and until her death they were living separate lives in different continents. She is said to have regarded him as tainted reminder of the corruption in her previous two terms in office. Yet when her widower produced Benazir’s will, her closest supporters were astonished to see him described as a man “of courage and honour”. She wrote:

I would like my husband Asif Ali Zardari to lead you in this interim period until you and he decide what is best. I say this because he is a man of courage and honor. He spent 11½ years in prison without bending despite torture. He has the political stature to keep our party united.

Although she never mentioned Bilawal in the will, Zardari suggested he serve as co-chairman, and later purged Benazir’s closest supporters from the party’s leadership.

Sadly, Pakistan is not alone in its fatal attraction to dynasty.

Jarwaharlal Nehru made his daughter Indira a minister -she succeeded him as prime minister and in turn groomed her son Sanjay to do the same. Sanjay played a key role in her notorious emergency rule, in which thousands of opponents were jailed. When he died in a plane crash, she groomed his brother Rajiv for the Congress leadership. Like his mother, he was assassinated. Today his widow Sonia holds the fort while their son Rahul learns the ropes as Congress general secretary.

There is no doubt Rahul will succeed Manmohan Singh as prime minister, despite having no ministerial experience himself, and despite the fact that those who know them regard his sister Priyanka as the more natural politician.

A few years ago I met Rahul Gandhi and joined him on the stump in his mother’s Uttar Pradesh constituency. He was shy, reticent, and more bookish than charismatic. But the reception he got from ecstatic villagers as we crawled through in his convoy showed he was regarded more like a living God than a man. In India, being a Gandhi is more than enough.

A family friend explained that the subcontinent’s politics are dynastic because the “brands” built by those nations’ founders were so strong, and because their names had become so widely recognised in countries where illiteracy and ignorance are so prevalent.

So on Saturday Bilawal Bhutto Zardari will stand in the shadow of his assassinated mother, his executed grandfather, and his two murdered uncles, and succeed them not as the best man for the job or the best hope for saving one of the world’s most fragile countries, but simply as his mother’s son: the inheritor of the family firm.

sad very sad but true!!! BE IT PML(Q) or N or any party of pakistan for that matter!

WTF Bilawal , Benazir , Hamza Shahbaz, Moonis Elahi ... out of a nation of 180 million why do we keep looking at those tried and failed lots...

Bilawal is one lucky guy to be born in a political dynasty, I will not be surprised to see him as the PM / President of Pakistan in the next few years.

Bilawal Bhutto Zardari: Born to rule how the hell is he born to rule?You gotta earn that privilege unfortunately it happens in banana republics like India or Pakistan or Arab Dictatorships.

It's an absolute shame that Pakistan today does everything that Jinnah had told and expected of us not to do. Nepotism is a curse that Pakistan suffers terribly from, Jinnah said in his constituent speech:

Along with many other things, good and bad, has arrived this great evil, the evil of nepotism and jobbery. I want to make it quite clear that I shall never tolerate any kind of jobbery, nepotism or any any influence directly of indirectly brought to bear upon me. Whenever I will find that such a practice is in vogue or is continuing anywhere, low or high, I shall certainly not countenance it.

We have timid and corrupt families in our ruling elite who think they are the reason our country exists. A nation should serve all of it's people rather than those who were born in wealth and power.

To be fair with you, these feudal clans should all be abolished from our nation.

This Bilawal guy does not seem to have any admirable characteristic, looking like Milhouse Vanhouten could be his only forte. Bhutto Zardari family is like the Pakistani Simpsons family.

This Bilawal guy does not seem to have any admirable characteristic, looking like Milhouse Vanhouten could be his only forte. Bhutto Zardari family is like the Pakistani Simpsons family.

:lol: :rofl: :lol: :rofl:

---------- Post added at 03:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

This guy will be an incredible evil and bitter hearted ruler if allowed access to the throne. Just imagine, a guy with so many assassinated family members would ravish this country blind.

PPP, PML (N,Q,x,y,z) All are fail partys with fail leaders... But question is whom we should select

PPP, PML (N,Q,x,y,z) All are fail partys with fail leaders... But question is whom we should select

i know the answer:

ALTAFFFFFFFF HUSSAIN!!!!!!!! G.A ALTAF G.A :rofl:

on a serious note let democracy go unhindered for 20 years and i assure u a leader will emerge!! once these leaders know that they might have a chance of more than 1 term they will try to ensure a second term hence will be less corrupt!

Bilawal is one lucky guy to be born in a political dynasty,

love that comment!

politicians in pakistan are the biggest FAIL ever.

i support a technocratic government in pakistan, these politicians are morally and intellectually impotent.

a fun fact: "people in interior sind go to the mazar (tomb ) of bhutto to supplicate"

bhutto is like god to them, and they have built tombs and stuff all over the place of even other kind of people who died and worship them, quite similar to hinduism.

anyways: politicians are a big FAIL.

who cares even if bilawal become pm or prsdnt, people will start worshipping him instead.

my appeal to ANP: let this guy by the pm or prsdnt, u are pathans youre bound to love him man! love him! hes ssooo frictionless :smokin:

:coffee: and yeah. we have altaf worshippers here too

cmon poeple, enjoy this! :cheesy: :smokin::cheesy:

:rofl:

:yahoo:

Last edited by a moderator:
LONDON, Aug 5, 2010 (AFP) - The son of Benazir Bhutto and President Asif Ali Zardari of Pakistan is expected to make his first speech Saturday since leaving university in Britain, fuelling talk he is stepping up his political career.

Bilawal Zardari Bhutto, 21, is heir apparent to a dynasty whose most famous figure was his mother, Pakistan's former prime minister and the world's first Muslim female premier, who was assassinated in 2007.

His grandfather, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, founded the Pakistan Peoples Party (PPP) in 1967 and became Pakistan's president before being overthrown in a military coup and hanged in 1979.

Bhutto was studying at Oxford University when his mother was killed and, at the time, those close to him said he should be left to finish his education before moving into politics in earnest.

But now he has finished his history degree at Christ Church, seen as one of the most aristocratic of Oxford's colleges, speculation is growing about what steps he will now take towards his political destiny.

Bhutto, who is already chairman of the PPP, is expected to speak before several thousand of its supporters at an event in Birmingham, central England, alongside his father who is visiting Britain.

The PPP has played down its significance, perhaps wary of criticism Zardari is facing that he should return to Pakistan in the wake of catastrophic floods which have killed up to 1,500 people and affected some four million.

"Bilawal will be there... most likely I think he will make a speech," said Waheed Rasab, the PPP's coordinator in Britain.

"The president is going to address the community because since the assassination of Ms Bhutto, every time he's been to London he's only seen a handful of people and there was a demand from the community".

But Farzana Shaikh, a Pakistan expert at London international affairs think-tank Chatham House, said the son's appearance was likely to be seen as an important event by PPP supporters.

She added that Zardari, long plagued by corruption allegations, was likely to "attempt to really embed Bilawal firmly within the Bhutto legacy" as well as using the event to boost his own standing, which is flagging in Pakistan.

"It's fair to assume that he's hoping very much by this gesture... to signal that in fact it's all change and not just for the better but for the cleaner," she told AFP.

Other commentators suggest that the event will provide an opportunity for the PPP to raise funds from supporters based in Britain.

Bhutto, whose first name means "one without equal", could soon be heading back to the country of his illustrious ancestors, despite having spent most of his life outside Pakistan.

If he does, he will be closer to fulfilling the role for which he has seemed destined since the day he was born.

His mother wrote in her autobiography that, after she gave birth to him, there was celebratory gunfire, drumming and cries of "Jiye Bhutto" ("Long Live Bhutto") outside the hospital.

"The most celebrated and politically controversial baby in the history of Pakistan had been born," she added.

Back
Top Bottom