What's new

BHEL Creates World's First DC Locomotive With Regenerative Braking, Promises Rs 25 Lakh Saving Per U

images

Finance major, IIM Cal. Trained taught by S. K. Bhattacharyya, who was a double gold medal in cost and chartered accountancy.​
Remind me again Joe where is the world ranking of your alma mater compered to mine these days? :)

just taking the piss out mate :)

As i keep thinking often @Joe Shearer , Sir you have to teach us kids a lot of things.:agree:
Coming to the question of @Nilgiri , it is rightly pointed out by Joe Shearer that locomotive is cost and here in context of repayment, we are actually comparing it with a locomotive that doesn't put back energy in system where it is being fed in first place. I'll try to put in terms of figures:
Let us assume it is 2015-16 (last year of WAP 4 and WAG 7 production). That time WAP 4 costed Rs. 7.9 Crores and WAP 7 Rs. 12.40 crores.
So let us take case of a WAP 4 and a WAP 7 produced that year. Assuming same running utilization (that is service hours) a WAP 4 would not have returned any power but a WAP 7 would @ Rs. 90 lakhs per year (this is an assumed value based on following formula

Rated power of WAP 7 4,500 kW
Number of days of operation in a year 300 days
Amount of time in day when using power 33%
Power Tariff (Averaged) Rs. 5.50 per Kw-H
Amount of power returned back 15%

Total amount of savings by power regenerated = 4,500*24*300*0.33*0.15*5.5 = Rs. 88, 20, 900.00 say Rs. 90 lakhs.

So in about 5 years loco would have earned around 4.5 crores that a WAP 4 would not have, had it been in operation in place of WAP 7.

These figures vary (especially that availability time on track) but can give you a rough idea of how economics of operation is like.

Last edited:
As i keep thinking often @Joe Shearer , Sir you have to teach us kids a lot of things.:agree:
Coming to the question of @Nilgiri , it is rightly pointed out by Joe Shearer that locomotive is cost and here in context of repayment, we are actually comparing it with a locomotive that doesn't put back energy in system where it is being fed in first place. I'll try to put in terms of figures:
Let us assume it is 2015-16 (last year of WAP 4 and WAG 7 production). That time WAP 4 costed Rs. 7.9 Crores and WAP 7 Rs. 12.40 crores.
So let us take case of a WAP 4 and a WAP 7 produced that year. Assuming same running utilization (that is service hours) a WAP 4 would not have returned any power but a WAP 7 would @ Rs. 50 lakhs per year (this is an assumed value based on following formula

Total amount of savings by power regenerated = 4,500*24*300*0.33*0.15*5.5 = Rs. 88, 20, 900.00 say Rs. 90 lakhs.

So in about 5 years loco would have earned around 4.5 crores that a WAP 4 would not have, had it been in operation in place of WAP 7.

These figures vary (especially that availability time on track) but can give you a rough idea of how economics of operation is like.
I think to have a good comparison between WAG 7 and WAG 4, you need to factor the revenue into the calculation. We can do a basic payback period calculation, which has:

Manufacturing Cost / (revenue per annum - fuel cost per annum - maintenance expense per annum)

Where the fuel cost would be the net amount i.e. gross power cost deducts power regeneration revenue .
- The revenue will be a function of the number of cars the locomotive can tow, the revenue per car per run, the number of run they will do per year, etc. WAG 7 would be a lot more powerful and handle more cars.
- Manufacturing cost would be the upfront cost to make the locomotive, which is known.
- The maintenance expenses is likely a function of the mileage done each year, obviously WAG7 would be more expensive.

The calculation should tell us the number of years that the locomotive recovers its capital cost and we can compare these 2 locomotive to see which has shorter payback period.

Based on your number, W7 costs 50% to make, the average margin (including maintenance) per run from W7 needs to be at least 50% better to make it economically superior than W4.

Last edited:
So let us take case of a WAP 4 and a WAP 7 produced that year. Assuming same running utilization (that is service hours) a WAP 4 would not have returned any power but a WAP 7 would @ Rs. 90 lakhs per year (this is an assumed value based on following formula

@jbgt90

Just read this post and learn how modest and decorous, and to the point, he is. No bragging about being an ISB grad., nothing about doing in one year what we poor bozos had to do in two, just straight to the point!

:pissed::pissed::pissed:

And nothing about degrees and diplomas either.

Remind me again Joe where is the world ranking of your alma mater compered to mine these days? :)

just taking the piss out mate :)

I hear the going supari for senior government officers is Rs. 2.0 lakhs. Hmm....now that's a thought.

@jbgt90

Just read this post and learn how modest and decorous, and to the point, he is. No bragging about being an ISB grad., nothing about doing in one year what we poor bozos had to do in two, just straight to the point!

I hear the going supari for senior government officers is Rs. 2.0 lakhs. Hmm....now that's a thought.
Its about 60 lac now a days :lol:

This is what we need you here Anant bhai!!! you are a mine of information .

@jbgt90

Another one of those "silent" masters I have been talking about lately Joe. Masters of Zen one could say.

Anant is also (to his credit given he is a heavy knowledge wielder) truly one of the nicest people (if not THE nicest) I have had the honour of meeting here in this forum. So his humility and depth of and willingness to share his knowledge comes as no surprise. He ought to be think tank here if you ask me.

Another one of those "silent" masters I have been talking about lately Joe. Masters of Zen one could say.

Anant is also (to his credit given he is a heavy knowledge wielder) truly one of the nicest people (if not THE nicest) I have had the honour of meeting here in this forum. So his humility and depth of and willingness to share his knowledge comes as no surprise. He ought to be think tank here if you ask me.

If he's that good, why not wish him on his birthday? (That's today; that's why he's such a romantic!)

@jbgt90

This OP sounds as if regenerative braking is the next big thing in transportation systems and it will generate enough power which will make the transportation system virtually free.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom