What's new

Bhagat Singh Terrorist or freedom fighter????

terrorist for one party and freedom fighter for another.

Was Bhagat Singh a terrorist?
1 Nov 2007, 0028 hrs IST,Ashish Sinha,TNN

IAS general studies paper on Oct 26 asked examinees to evaluate contribution of 'revolutionary terrorism' represented by Bhagat Singh (TOI Photo)
NEW DELHI: Was Bhagat Singh a terrorist? UPSC has unwittingly triggered a debate on whether the legendary martyr should be called a "revolutionary terrorist" - a term historians have been using to describe the freedom fighter but which now, many experts say, needs a rethink because of the changed connotations of the word.

In the general studies paper of UPSC's civil services exam, held on October 26, candidates were asked to evaluate the contribution of "revolutionary terrorism represented by Bhagat Singh". In the last four days, the way the question was framed has led to a court case in Kanpur and protests in Chandigarh and Ambala, with some agitators even landing at the commission's doors.

In the martyr's birth centenary year, UPSC had just put in a phrase being used in school and university texts. But now, the historians who had called Bhagat Singh's struggle "revolutionary terrorism" are pressing for a rethink.

Leading historian Bipan Chandra, possibly the most frequent user of the term, on Wednesday called for change. "It was a phrase of praise then and was used to distinguish Bhagat Singh from the other streams of freedom struggle. But the word terrorism has assumed a different meaning now. I would not like it to be used any longer," the professor emeritus at JNU said. Neeladri Bhattacharya, another JNU professor, agreed with Chandra but said a distinction should be made between "revolutionary terrorism" and "terrorism".

Was Bhagat Singh a terrorist?-India-The Times of India
-----------------------
sorry guys my net is messed up so had to post again and again

Hence the addage "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." He was against an imperial occupation.

Hence the addage "one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter." He was against an imperial occupation.

:) So all those fighting against US, occupation and Indian occupation in Iraq, Afghanistan and Kashmir are also in this catogry .

BTW how much the Indian member here know about Bhagat Singh ???

BTW how much the Indian member here know about Bhagat Singh ???

i think vast majority of indians does not know him beyond his name.
BTW he was born in lyallpur todays Faisalabad, my city.

'British had given terrorist tag to Bhagat Singh'
1 Nov 2007, 0158 hrs IST,Ashish Sinha,TNN
Print Save EMail Write to Editor

NEW DELHI: The UPSC has triggered a debate on whether Bhagat Singh should be called a "revolutionary terrorist". In IAS exam’s general studies paper examinees were asked to evaluate the contribution of "revolutionary terrorism represented by Bhagat Singh".

"Terms of history need to be evaluated continuously. There is a possibility of misunderstanding over the use of the phrase. A rethink is necessary. Historians should look for a more adequate term," says, Neeladri Bhattacharya, professor at JNU.

Bhagat Singh's nephew Jagmohan Singh, who retired as professor and has done considerable work on the martyr, is not willing to forgive historians for the "distortion". "British used the term 'terrorist' to describe Bhagat Singh and his friends. Some historians later prefixed the word revolutionary.

It is sad that the legacy of British imperialism hung — it still hangs — on the psyche of some of our intelligentsia. Bhagat Singh's formulations were clear and he was the vanguard of a broader national movement that sought a fundamental change in society," said the son of the martyr's sister, Bibi Amrit Kaur.

Jagmohan Singh preferred the phrase "revolutionary nationalist" used by another former JNU historian, K M Panikkar.
In 1928, Bhagat Singh and his comrades shot Lahore deputy police superintendent J P Saunders (who was mistaken for police chief Scott), to avenge the lathicharge on Lala Lajpat Rai which led to his death.

The next year, they hurled a harmless bomb in the National Assembly (now Parliament) and threw pamphlets that said the intention was "to make the deaf hear". Bhagat Singh, only 23 and influenced by Marx and Lenin, was hanged on March 23, 1931. Irfan Habib, whose well-researched book on Singh was published last month, also supported a rethink.

Print Save EMail Write to Editor

i think vast majority of indians does not know him beyond his name.
BTW he was born in lyallpur todays Faisalabad, my city.

Let the Indians say what they know about him and what they think of him.

BTW i failed to understand why "Revplutionary Terrorism" Term is sacred and justified ???

Bhagat singh didnt ask his followers to wear the belt and blow themselves up in the middle of civilians.

Bhagat singh didnt seek relegious justifications for doing what he did.

Bhagat Singh didnt indoctorined anybody to fight for what he believes.

Bhagat Singh in now way caused any harm to Indians, but targeted british officers.

Asalam-0-Alikum mere AZIZ HUM WATNO , any one can tell me about MULANA MASOOD AZHAR he is also doing work for freedom !!! BULL what do u think ??

bull, what's the different's a man with a bomb belt on and killing people or a american b52 bomber droping bomb's from the sky's above killing thousend's.

both are terrorists

"the Muslims are a people who love death more than we love life. They love humility better than pride. Greed is unknown to them. They do not think it degrading to sit on the ground. They eat without sitting at a table. Their Commander is just one of them. There is no special mark about him. The Muslims know no distinction between the high and the low of the master and the servant. When the time for prayer comes, they all wash up and stand shoulder to shoulder, in all humility, before the Lord."

bull, what's the different's a man with a bomb belt on and killing people or a american b52 bomber droping bomb's from the sky's above killing thousend's.

both are terrorists.

So?

I gave my explanation for why bhagat Singh isnt a terrorist.

"the Muslims are a people who love death more than we love life. They love humility better than pride. Greed is unknown to them. They do not think it degrading to sit on the ground. They eat without sitting at a table. Their Commander is just one of them. There is no special mark about him. The Muslims know no distinction between the high and the low of the master and the servant. When the time for prayer comes, they all wash up and stand shoulder to shoulder, in all humility, before the Lord."

Utopian. Thats what a muslim is suppose to be but they are not like others, they are humans and they err.

Asalam-0-Alikum mere AZIZ HUM WATNO , any one can tell me about MULANA MASOOD AZHAR he is also doing work for freedom !!! BULL what do u think ??

Maulana Masood Azar is a pig who needs to be send to hell sooner than later.

Back
Top Bottom