What's new

Ben Affleck gets worked up defending Islam on Bill Maher's show

Islam is what is followers actually DO, not what they claim. That is the basic problem.
I would claim the opposite.
The problem with islam is in its doctrine and theology. Vast majority of muslims lead as normal life as people of any other religion(within same geographic region), and we got nearly same level of nutjobs in most religions.
I would agree with ayan ali hirsi, islam needs reformation movement (so does hinduism btw). If christians could do why cant islam (and hinduism)

Maher is an equal opportunity "hater". He was actually raised Catholic and savages the Catholic Church with zeal.

I would say the bigger problem though, as an earlier poster pointed out, is that most people who are not of a religion will often accept that that religion can be defined by whatever makes the 24hr, 7 days a week, news cycle. For some time now, the vast majority of Americans who are not Muslim, only know Islam by horrific story after horrific story, day after day, on the nightly news. That may not be fair, but it is a fact. Groups like al-Qaeda, the Taliban, ISIS/IS, have defined what Islam is for tens of millions of non-Muslims in the 'West'. I think that it is tragic, and self-defeating for the West, but like it or not, it is so.

Two foam-at-the-mouth Jewish bigots (Bill Maher and Sam Harris) attacking Islam.

If the roles were reversed, it would be called anti-Semitic hate speech.
Maher is not a serious commentator, so I guess, I should expect some jokes, some half truths, some cliches. One does not need to take him seriously.
Sam Harris on other hand tried to make serious point but is drowned by others shouting. He is much more brutal about christianity, so I wont call him anti islam as such.
In west islam is relatively less criticized compared to christianity. Hinduism and buddism even less.
@jamahir .. which bits that sam harris says you find hateful. He is quite smug sometimes, and thats quite annoying.. :p:

Maher is an equal opportunity "hater". He was actually raised Catholic and savages the Catholic Church with zeal.

I would say the bigger problem though, as an earlier poster pointed out, is that most people who are not of a religion will often accept that that religion can be defined by whatever makes the 24hr, 7 days a week, news cycle. For some time now, the vast majority of Americans who are not Muslim, only know Islam by horrific story after horrific story, day after day, on the nightly news. That may not be fair, but it is a fact. Groups like al-Qaeda, the Taliban, ISIS/IS, have defined what Islam is for tens of millions of non-Muslims in the 'West'. I think that it is tragic, and self-defeating for the West, but like it or not, it is so.

I have seen a few of his ramblings. His hate for christianity is at least as bad as his hate for Islam. He goes beyond criticism, all of his religious views are insults and narcissistic taunting of the followers and their beliefs. The guy obviously does this for ratings.

I would claim the opposite.
The problem with islam is in its doctrine and theology. Vast majority of muslims lead as normal life as people of any other religion(within same geographic region), and we got nearly same level of nutjobs in most religions.
I would agree with ayan ali hirsi, islam needs reformation movement (so does hinduism btw). If christians could do why cant islam (and hinduism)

There is no problem inherent to the doctrine and theology of Islam, certainly no more or no less than any other Abrahamic religion. It is more a matter of its followers realizing how to follow their beliefs better, in peace and harmony with the rest of humanity.

people in west tend to ignore that lot of violence we see can be attributed to geopolitics and societal and cultural norms.
Afganistan would still be violent if it was hindu country.
Women rights are pitiful in India, and honor killing is still happening even though we are not islamic country.

Maher is not a serious commentator, so I guess, I should expect some jokes, some half truths, some cliches. One does not need to take him seriously.
Sam Harris on other hand tried to make serious point but is drowned by others shouting. He is much more brutal about christianity, so I wont call him anti islam as such.
In west islam is relatively less criticized compared to christianity. Hinduism and buddism even less.
@jamahir .. which bits that sam harris says you find hateful. He is quite smug sometimes, and thats quite annoying.. :p:

He is more of a comedian, although not a very good one. He reals in his viewers with sensationalism.

ya, I know... his jokes are not funny after you watch many episodes... :p:

But have you seen a youtube channel by the name of The Cult of Dusty? He is like Bill Maher but about 100 times more animated. The guy goes into rage mode when talking about religious. But the difference is that Dusty is pretty funny, sometimes it looks like he is about to pass out in some of his videos with all of the shouting he does.

He is more of a comedian, although not a very good one. He reals in his viewers with sensationalism.

How fickle we are in our judgement!

Bill Maher is the same guy who refused to call the terrorists cowards on ABC after 9/11 when he said "We have been the cowards. Lobbing cruise missiles from two thousand miles away. That's cowardly. Staying in the airplane when it hits the building. Say what you want about it. Not cowardly. You're right."

Why is it that we want to listen to only those views that we agree with and refuse to entertain any alternate points of view? What Bill has said that is the topic of this thread is not without some degree of merit too, just as his quote given above also makes a good point.

There is no problem inherent to the doctrine and theology of Islam, certainly no more or no less than any other Abrahamic religion. It is more a matter of its followers realizing how to follow their beliefs better, in peace and harmony with the rest of humanity.
The punishment for leaving islam is death. That is pure evil and you know it.

The people who commits the violent acts are generally young, have renewed interest in the book. If you read bible today and want to live your life, I think you will be arrested before you go too far.

Previous generation of muslims had no issues. They followed their heart and general social rules along with some islamic rituals. It is less accurate in gods eyes perhaps but surely they were as gentle as the other people in the society.

But have you seen a youtube channel by the name of The Cult of Dusty? He is like Bill Maher but about 100 times more animated. The guy goes into rage mode when talking about religious. But the difference is that Dusty is pretty funny, sometimes it looks like he is about to pass out in some of his videos with all of the shouting he does.
There are lot of racists and islamophobes among those who criticise muslims. No doubt about it. Many dont respect other culture and dont even try to understand socio-economic status of a country before commenting on a news story.
But if somebody makes genuine effort in understanding the issue, and comments on it in a clear and resectable way without going on a rant, I think we should not just label him xyz and ignore him.

Last edited:
Still can't get over the horrific idea of this guy being Batman..

so now you hate him too, only because he was trying to defend Islam or muslims

The punishment for leaving islam is death. That is pure evil and you know it.

The people who commits the violent acts are generally young, have renewed interest in the book. If you read bible today and want to live your life, I think you will be arrested before you go too far.

Previous generation of muslims had no issues. They followed their heart and general social rules along with some islamic rituals. It is less accurate in gods eyes perhaps but surely they were as gentle as the other people in the society.

There are lot of racists and islamophobes among those who criticise muslims. No doubt about it. Many dont respect other culture and dont even try to understand socio-economic status of a country before commenting on a news story.
But if somebody makes genuine effort in understanding the issue, and comments on it in a clear and resectable way without going on a rant, I think we should not just label him xyz and ignore him.

its only if they leave Islam for Hinduism, and that too not for leaving Islam but like "abbey tujhey koi dhang ka religion bhi ne mila", for his stupidity.

I dont understand why are we defending Islam to the followers of hinduism, I need all night If I start listing unhumain, weird, disrespectful to woman, abuse of woman in Hinduism.

Last edited:
Not all muslims are killers and rapest and terrorist and etc there are bad apples in every religion and every race these cowards that do these cowards acts not only sin but give peace loving muslims a bad name not to mention the religion ISLAM a bad name. As for Bill Maher he is a asshole I have watched his show many times and he never has anything good to say about anyone nor anything even for his follow Americans his own President nor the American people or all of its different races and religions it holds so go fig. I thank Ben Affleck for sticking up for the peace loving muslims that there are in the world and for our religion ISLAM may GOD bless him always thank you once again Ben .

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom