What's new

BD exceeds Singapore, HK in GDP

The Ronin

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
Bangladesh is currently the 13th largest economy in the Asia-Pacific region. The country has meanwhile exceeded Singapore and Hong Kong (HK) in terms of gross domestic product (GDP).
Asian Development Bank (ADB) has calculated that products and services of 70, 416 crore dollars were created in Bangladesh during 2018. The report of ADB shows that in light of public private partnership (PPP) China has the largest economy in Asia. China's GDP is equal to 25 lakh 36 thousand 173 crore dollars. India has the second largest economy in Asia whose GDP size is 10 lakh 47 thousand 433 crore dollars.
Economists are of the opinion that Bangladesh's GDP growth will convey a positive message about the country in the global arena. It is a reflection of the fact that Bangladesh is making fast progress with bright investment prospects. Bangladesh's per capita income has mounted to 1900 dollars.
Finance Minister AHM Mustafa Kamal recently informed that Bangladesh's GDP growth is highest in the world according to the current price method. ADB report further states that Bangladesh has been able to eradicate poverty remarkably during last twelve years. Bangladesh has made immense progress with the education and health sectors too. Child mortality rate has dropped in Bangladesh which is a good sign according to ADB.

https://dailyasianage.com/news/195303/bd-exceeds-singapore--hk-in-gdp

So it's PPP, anyway Hong kong is in sharp decline, its GDP is being overtaken by other Chinese cities one after another.

Bangladesh should be anti india.. Thry should have eyes on west bengal orovince to grow babgladesh a bit bigger. China can help them.

It's the stability of the Chinese cities created by China, Shenzhen only used less than 4 decades to overtake Hong kong from a fishing village.
Well Hong Kong was a fishing village too... and much much advanced for its time in that region... not until he British handed it over to China that things started going south, ofc it’s not surprising China wants to enforce its jurisdiction and the best way to do it is making Hong Kong weak. Classic British technique that hey used in the bengals

Well Hong Kong was a fishing village too... and much much advanced for its time in that region... not until he British handed it over to China that things started going south, ofc it’s not surprising China wants to enforce its jurisdiction and the best way to do it is making Hong Kong weak. Classic British technique that hey used in the bengals
Hong kong people are ethnic Chinese, are Brits ethnically Bengals? You forgot that British were colonists and China is Hong kong's motherland, China never colonized Hong kong cause Hong kong is always China's, British were the colonists.

Just because a foreign power took Hong kong away from China when China was weak and vulnerable doesn't make Hong kong a foreign land to China, China has every right to take back what rightfully belongs to China, if those old foreign powers are not happy, they can try to take Hong kong by force again and see how they'll get.

Bangladesh GDP per capita (PPP) = $3,900
Singapore GDP per capita (PPP) = $90,000 (23x Bangladesh)

Bangladesh population = 165 million (30x Singapore)
Singapore population = 5.5 million

So Bangladesh has 30x the population of Singapore but Singapore has 23x the GDP per capita (PPP) of Bangladesh. I would not call this good news for Bangladesh.

Bangladesh GDP per capita (PPP) = $3,900
Singapore GDP per capita (PPP) = $90,000 (23x Bangladesh)

Bangladesh population = 165 million (30x Singapore)
Singapore population = 5.5 million

So Bangladesh has 30x the population of Singapore but Singapore has 23x the GDP per capita (PPP) of Bangladesh. I would not call this good news for Bangladesh.

The good news is that BD is growing at over 8% a year - it is the rate of increase relative to others that is the point here.

The good news is that BD is growing at over 8% a year - it is the rate of increase relative to others that is the point here.
I agree; every country's development is relative. So if you said the 8% growth in the thread title instead of saying Bangladesh has a bigger GDP than Singapore and HK I would have no problem.

I should add though that such high growth rates are pretty standard for underdeveloped countries. The challenge is sustaining it.

Best

So if you said the 8% growth in the thread title instead of saying Bangladesh has a bigger GDP than Singapore and HK I would have no problem.
It's the source article's title. It's against this forum's rules to change source title for thread title.

Ofc its instability created by China, now wonder its in decline.
To be fair, those Chinese cities have way more population. Considering China's growth for the past 3 decades, it was only a matter of time that these cities would overtake Hong Kong in GDP.

I agree; every country's development is relative. So if you said the 8% growth in the thread title instead of saying Bangladesh has a bigger GDP than Singapore and HK I would have no problem.

I should add though that such high growth rates are pretty standard for underdeveloped countries. The challenge is sustaining it.

Best

Actually BD is the only country in Asia that is showing such high and sustained growth.
However BD is still at a very low base with per capita PPP at only 5000 US dollars.

Do you have evidence? guess? lol

Chinese cities cannot develop? Just as China’s development will weaken the US, this is normal.

On the contrary, if there is no support from China,Hong Kong will be more fading

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom