What's new

BBC report on India Census 2011

Actually can someone explain me this statistic ?

India%2Bmale-female%2Bratio.jpg

NEW DELHI: The lowest-ever child sex ratio of 914 overshadowed an increase in the overall sex ratio, which is now 940 — the highest nationwide since Census 1971

So child sex ration has decreased, but overall sex ratio has actually improved and now it's at it's highest (940) since 1971. Guys die more often or what?

The Hindu : Front Page : At 914, child sex ratio is the lowest since Independence

why they favour the girls?

I'm not sure favoring girls is a widespread attitude, but girls are at an advantage in the current marriage market. I, for example, grew up in Beijing and strongly prefer local girls, but no Beijing girl is going to marry me unless I'm a multimillionaire (in U.S. dollar term). Marrying woman from other parts of China will require one to have a large enough apartment so your future in-laws can move in to Beijing. Girls on other hands can marry without much financial burden to her family.

I don't know if those economic considerations can overturn the traditional preference for boys, but from a purely financial point of view girls are better investments for urban Chinese.

I'm not sure favoring girls is a widespread attitude, but girls are at an advantage in the current marriage market. I, for example, grew up in Beijing and strongly prefer local girls, but no Beijing girl is going to marry me unless I'm a multimillionaire (in U.S. dollar term). Marrying woman from other parts of China will require one to have a large enough apartment so your future in-laws can move in to Beijing. Girls on other hands can marry without much financial burden to her family.

I don't know if those economic considerations can overturn the traditional preference for boys, but from a purely financial point of view girls are better investments for urban Chinese.

Same thing is happenining in most Cities of India. Due to difference of sex ratios, girls have too many options to choose from. On the other hand well educated & employed Guys find it too difficult to get a bride & are forced to look for alliances in smaller towns & villages.

Same thing is happenining in most Cities of India. Due to difference of sex ratios, girls have too many options to choose from. On the other hand well educated & employed Guys find it too difficult to get a bride & are forced to look for alliances in smaller towns & villages.

LOL ! Its still the other way around. Parents take more tension when it comes to their daughter's marriage rather than Boy's marriage.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom