What's new

Bayraktar TB-3, Navalized armed UAV system will use TEI-PD-180 engines

T-SaGe

Reaction score
Country
Turkey
"Bayraktar TB3 to be used on the ANADOLU LHD ship will have foldable wings. With the structural changes to be made for landing on ship and taking off, it will have a much larger body and use the domestic PD-180 engine."

Yusuf Akbaba, one of the reliable Turkish defense sources, confirmed that TEI PD series engines will be used in Baykar's new block tactical systems. Baykar TB-3 will be the first step of capability acquisition for TCG Anadolu as a UAV assault ship.

we can not at the mpment on anadolu LHD,there is no catapult system on it,

"Minor level" structural changes will take place on the ship deck (sad but necessary), officials say. And I think TCG ANADOLU is now evaluated as a mother ship, not only for armed UAVs but also with more efficient use of unmanned surface platforms(like ULAQ) in a sense, within the concept of unmanned/combined amphibious assault.

Besides, the aforementioned unmanned aircraft and unmanned surface platforms have very low displacement(for boats) or MTOW(aircraft) values. We can simply assume that the TB-3 system will be a navalised and structural reinforced tactical armed UAV with a wingspan of 11-13 meters, with an average MTOW value of 1 / 1.5 tons. The catapult/launch system that will accelerate such an aircraft over a 100-120-meter take-off line, for example over 70-80 kt, should be a problem that can be solved mechanically and not too complicated.

If you ask me; the real problem is not with the TB-3. The single-line flight deck of this ship may be an obstacle in the operation of fixed-wing aircraft, limiting the maximum sortie/day capacity. It is necessary to consider this not with the ISR-weighted and +24 hour mission planning of the current tactical UAVs, but within all the air element requirements that the Amphibious(or naval air support) operation will require. More precisely, it could mean that the take-off and landing operations cannot be done with sufficient efficiency and speed. I have some ideas for that of course, but let's see what kind of innovation we will see about it. In any case, the integration of tactical armed UAVs(which have very low take-off and stall speed values) can be achieved to some extent. However, turbofan engine UAVs such as Goksungur(?); How these high-subsonic vehicles can land on this ship is yet a mystery.

Perhaps a complete redesign of the flight deck of the second ship and therefore its flight operations, may come to the fore. Briefly, a kind of (lite) electromagnetic launch solution(if the power management of the ship makes possible) and a separated landing line can be considered. (If ship's main design -derivated Navantia Athlas 26000- is suitable for dozens of factors that are structurally to hydrodynamically which I dont have knowledge in detail.) When the second ship is put into service, the first ship could pulled into a dry dock, for the necessary modernization.

I regret to say that, but our proverb "Kervan yolda düzülür" (I guess it can be translated as "make it up as you go along") has become our national project model. The LPD project, (Maybe our Pakistani friends here do not know, but yes, the project started as an LPD procurement program) which we talked about 10 years ago, has turned into a kind of unmanned amphibious assault ship concept, which will be the first of its kind today. Just like the big changes or breaks in this story, today we are again evolving a ship whose flight operations capabilities were designed directly with the F-35 in mind(this time an almost finished ship) into something else. And the sister of this ship will probably be a highly differentiated platform in light of these experiences.

Last edited:
I don't understand where do these "aircrafts with propellers can't take off from ac without catapult" and "aircrafts with propellers can't land on ac without rope" theories come from. There are a lot of propeller aircrafts that have taken off of ac without any catapult, and then landed on ac without any help from any rope from WW2 era, and those planes were a lot more heavier than possibe TB3 due to heavier structural materials.

TB3 will be a lot lighter, and with a lot lighter ammunition than those WW2 planes thanks to high precision bombs, that TB3 won't have to carry tonnes of bombs. It also won't have to be as much fast as those to stand in air.

People shouldn't surprise if we see such TB3 that would take off and land without needing any catapult or rope.

you don't need catapults, this will be a STOBAR design. the drones aren't carrying anything heavy where they will need assisted launch, they are lightweight. only issue seem seems to be landing IMO. there is no arresting mechanism, even then something can be improvised. like this right here. barricade is normally used in an emergency recovery system. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipe...ng_USS_Abraham_Lincoln_(CVN-72)_animation.gif

I can't wait to see this baby, i hope Baykar would tease us a bit by showing some parts of it being manufactured in background in this year, just like they did with the first prototype of Akıncı.

Or release photos

I belive that uav operations on LHD should not be a piriority you can make it with satellite comm uavs like anka-s,we are operating very old french made ships,and german missile boats you should spend your money to this things first,but our goverment find an easy way to propogand that we made a carrier,even we made a single carrier we can not build a strker group thats very expensive and unnecessary at near future

I belive that uav operations on LHD should not be a piriority you can make it with satellite comm uavs like anka-s,we are operating very old french made ships,and german missile boats you should spend your money to this things first,but our goverment find an easy way to propogand that we made a carrier,even we made a single carrier we can not build a strker group thats very expensive and unnecessary at near future

Its not propaganda, its a natural projection of things. a shore based solution does not allow for deep water power projection. to be a blue water navy, you need to be capable of operations away from your own shoreline, and for that to transpire, you need air support, and since its unlikely the f-35 mess will be sorted out soon, Turkey creating naval versions of its drones is the next best thing, and in some ways an advantage, in that they can fly far more drone sorties, and can absorb far more attrition.

Baykar Defence visits to TCG ANADOLU

by Şeyma Sarıca April 8, 2021
Baykar Defence visits to TCG ANADOLU

Baykar Defence Technical Director Selcuk Bayraktar and his accompanying delegation visited LHD TCG ANADOLU ship, where Bayraktar TB3 UCAV will be deployed.

A post, including a video about the visit, was posted on Selcuk Bayraktar’s social media account,
“We visited TCG Anadolu, home of BayraktarTB3 UCAV, which will be the world’s first ship-mounted UAV in its class. We held a meeting of operational requests with the technical delegations from the Presidency of Defence Industry and our Naval Forces. We will be stronger in the Blue Homeland! “
shared with the note.

TB-3 ?? 🤷‍♂️

EyefiFfWQAQNwwe

when naval helicopters land back on deck for refuel and rearm UAV is great to take over the cover

in general UAV from LHD is a very good idea

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom