What's new

Barack Obama warns against premature strike on Iran

blackops

Reaction score
WASHINGTON: US President Barack Obama has warned that a premature attack on Iran would allow it to play the "victim" in the nuclear crisis just days before key talks with Israeli leader Benjamin Netanyahu.

In some of his toughest comments yet on Tehran's nuclear drive, Obama also warned that Israel and Iran should take seriously possible US action against Iranian nuclear facilities if sanctions fail to stop the country's atomic ambitions.

"I think that the Israeli government recognizes that, as president of the United States, I don't bluff," Obama told the Atlantic Monthly magazine in remarks published Friday.

"I also don't, as a matter of sound policy, go around advertising exactly what our intentions are. But I think both the Iranian and the Israeli governments recognize that when the United States says it is unacceptable for Iran to have a nuclear weapon, we mean what we say."

Netanyahu arrived in Canada early Friday ahead of key discussions Monday with Obama at the White House, against a backdrop of growing fears that Israel could unilaterally strike suspect Iranian nuclear facilities.

Tehran insists its nuclear program is for civilian purposes only but Western nations suspect the Islamic republic is leading a covert program to develop a nuclear weapons capability and is not far from achieving its goal.

Netanyahu's government has maintained that all options remain on the table with regard to action on Iran, whose firebrand leader Mahmoud Ahmadinejad has questioned Israel's right to exist.

But Obama issued a blunt warning against a premature strike, saying it could inadvertently help the Iranian regime.

"At a time when there is not a lot of sympathy for Iran and its only real ally ( Syria) is on the ropes, do we want a distraction in which suddenly Iran can portray itself as a victim?" Obama said.

Obama said the US strategy to thwart Iran's ambitions of developing a nuclear weapon included various components, including isolating Tehran politically, sanctions and diplomacy.

"And it includes a military component. And I think people understand that," Obama said, adding he thought Americans did not believe that "I hesitate to make decisions as commander in chief when necessary."

Even if Israel were not a specific target of Iran's wrath, Obama said "it would still be a profound national-security interest of the United States to prevent Iran from getting a nuclear weapon."

He also spoke of the "profound" risks of an Iranian nuclear weapon falling into terrorists' hands, and warned of "the prospect of a nuclear arms race in the most volatile region in the world, one that is rife with unstable governments and sectarian tensions.

"And it would also provide Iran the additional capability to sponsor and protect its proxies in carrying out terrorist attacks because they are less fearful of retaliation," he said.

Experts in Israel say Netanyahu's discussions with Obama will be a chance for the allies to sound each other out on their sometimes divergent positions on Tehran's nuclear program.

Israeli President Shimon Peres told the New York Times Thursday that the United States must make it clear to Iran that "all options are on the table."

"We need a total and clear commitment that the catastrophe of Iran will not create an impossible situation," Peres said, acknowledging there was disagreement over where to draw the red line that would spark military action.

Obama, who addresses the powerful American Israel Public Affairs Committee on Sunday, admitted to differences with Netanyahu in the Atlantic interview, describing their relationship as one focused on business and noting they came from different political traditions.

"But one thing I have found in working with Prime Minister Netanyahu is that we can be very frank with each other, very blunt with each other, very honest with each other," he said.

"For the most part, when we have our differences, they are tactical and not strategic," he said. "We have a common vision about where we want to go."

"At any given moment -- as is true, frankly, with my relationship with every other foreign leader -- there's not going to be a perfect alignment of how we achieve these objectives," he said.

Barack Obama warns against premature strike on Iran - The Times of India

Interesting times ahead lets see what iran can do about the building presure from west and israel

what a load of crap....obama should work on his country's economy rather than going to another war.Obama is just another israel's puppet and he's going to justify this terrorism against iran from the so called UN...:hitwall: just another excuse by US n israel to destabilize a muslim country nothing much.

what a load of crap....obama should work on his country's economy rather than going to another war.Obama is just another israel's puppet and he's going to justify this terrorism against iran from the so called UN...:hitwall: just another excuse by US n israel to destabilize a muslim country nothing much.
well no obama is looking into the economy thing if bush would have been there we would have seen an other picture

He won't let Iran play the role of victim?What a bs.As long as i have seen,it is Israel which is crying,begging and playing the victim role.
And for the record Mr.Obama,i love how large your table is.Never take anything off the table,never.

well no obama is looking into the economy thing if bush would have been there we would have seen an other picture

even with that idiot bush nothing wouldve been diff as for invading muslim countries goes...9/11/afghanistan drama .

He won't let Iran play the role of victim?What a bs.As long as i have seen,it is Israel which is crying,begging and playing the victim role.
And for the record Mr.Obama,i love how large your table is.Never take anything off the table,never.

The last thing israel and US would want is to consider other options on the table...they dont do that.

They think it's the Donkey's turn.
horse.gif

And, there is a bright side to all this. It'll put an end to US's delusion of grandeur.

All of their ‘plans’ have gone awry in at least the past one decade. But they are still ‘planning’.
Good luck.

U.S is not serious towards iran and israel is just shouting in front of u.s:hitwall:

I really don't think Obama wants to attack Iran. He's playing up the 'tough guy' act because Republicans think he's too soft.

Obama Warns Iran He Will Use Force If Necessary

WASHINGTON — U.S. President Barack Obama reaffirmed his strong backing for key ally Israel on March 4, warning Iran that he would not hesitate to use force, if required, to stop it developing a nuclear weapon.

“Iran’s leaders should know that I do not have a policy of containment; I have a policy to prevent Iran from obtaining a nuclear weapon. And as I’ve made clear time and again during the course of my presidency, I will not hesitate to use force when it is necessary to defend the United States and its interests,” Obama said in a keynote address to a pro-Israeli lobby group.

Obama Warns Iran He Will Use Force If Necessary | Defense News | defensenews.com

DoD Planning for Actions Against Iran, Syria

The U.S. military is planning for the possibility of strikes against Iran and Syria using a mix of conventional and cyber weapons as tensions in the region continue to rise, according to senior Pentagon officials.

U.S. Air Force Lt. Gen. Herbert Carlisle, deputy chief of staff for operations, plans and requirements, told an audience at an investors conference sponsored by McAleese and Associates and Credit Suisse March 8 that his staff is exploring options for strikes in both countries.

Carlisle made his remarks within an hour of Defense Secretary Leon Panetta acknowledging in an interview with the National Journal that the Pentagon is planning for strikes against Iran, and a day after Panetta told the Senate Armed Services Committee that the DoD was reviewing military options.

Although the country denies an intent to create nuclear weapons, Iran’s development of its nuclear program has sparked calls for military intervention to prevent it from becoming a nuclear power, while the rebellion in Syria and the government’s military response have led to calls for a Libya-type assistance effort.

On Iran, Carlisle cited classification limitations that prevented him from providing specifics.

“I won’t get into any details on that, obviously, because it’s ongoing operational planning,” he said.

But in response to a question, he did confirm that cyberwarfare is an option.

“There [are] ... electronic warfare pieces. There are offensive cyber operations. There are defensive cyber operations. Without stepping over any line of classification, I would say again, everything is on the table. That could be a component,” he said.

At the same conference, Gen. Norton Schwartz, the Air Force chief of staff, was quick to point out that airstrikes in Syria would be more complicated than ones conducted by NATO forces in Libya last spring.

Schwartz said many factors would need to be addressed, including the objectives of the mission.

“It requires thought and deliberations,” he said. “A key challenge is that Syria is not Libya. Syria is a much more demanding air defense environment as a case in point and would require a level of effort far in excess of what we did in Libya.”

The country operates a Soviet-era surface-to-air missile network, which would likely mean any U.S. strike would need to include the use of stealth aircraft, including the B-2 bomber or F-22 fighter.

B-2s were used at the beginning of operations in Libya, Iraq and Afghanistan. To date, the F-22, a stealth fighter that can strike targets in the air and on the ground, has not been used in combat.

Carlisle cited efforts toward preparation for intervention.

“We are actively engaged in taking all of these things that we have concepts, at least starting some that would come closer to fruition to help in the planning if there was anything that needed to be done,” he said.

Carlisle said that the creation of plans is not unusual.

“In standard military fashion, we plan,” he said. “That’s what we do. So we’ll think about everything and every eventuality. We’ll think about what would be required of us and how we would accomplish it.”

DoD Planning for Actions Against Iran, Syria | Defense News | defensenews.com

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom